do beardies need tall or wide enclosures?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierced Soul

Reaction score
or both? i know obviously the bigger the better, but what sort of dimensions would be good for an adult beardie? i'm unsure whether it's better to have a reptile enclosure or a fish tank (though i'm leaning towards an enclosure as it's prob not as heavy and will allow things to be mounted inside it).

Wide, they like room to run around and you don't want them too far from the light otherwise they get very little benefit from the UVA/UVB bulb.

Pierced Soul: A 4x2x2 (120x60x60) enclosure is all that is needed for a pair of Beardies (vitticeps & barbata).

rocket, answer my gecko question lol. Yea 4x2x2ft will do

is there going to be much diff between a 4x2x2 fish tank and a reptile enclosure of similar dimensions? I'm just thinking in terms of how to mount the lights in a fish tank. Also I'd assume a front opening enclosure will be easier to clean then a a fish tank thats 2ft high

is there going to be much diff between a 4x2x2 fish tank and a reptile enclosure of similar dimensions? I'm just thinking in terms of how to mount the lights in a fish tank. Also I'd assume a front opening enclosure will be easier to clean then a a fish tank thats 2ft high

We have recently moved our beardies from fish tanks to front-opening melamine enclosures. The melamine enclosures are much easier for everything - feeding, cleaning, getting the beardies in and out etc.

Mounting lights in a fish tank is pretty easy - our big fish tank had a wooden-framed mesh lid (using aviary mesh) and we simply wired bulb fittings into the mesh lid.

You really can't beat the melamine enclosures though, especially if they come with light fittings already done.

there's one which is 1220mm long x 450mm high x 600mm in the sale section, but from what i'm reading from you guys, thats not going to be high enough when the beardie gets bigger

4ftlx2fthx2ftd no less. 6ftl x2fth x2ftd would be better as they have more freedom and more of a temp gradiant.

3ft x 2ft x 2ft is perfectly acceptable for a single beardie.

Hello

Hello,

I agree, the 4x2x2 is pretty good, really. They tend to need more square foot on the length than the height. Even a 5x2x2 is better. They love lots of space, as long as their temps are good.

Tracie

As babies they don't mind getting up high but as adults most tend to spend more time on the ground than climbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back