Do i really own my snakes ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moreliaman

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just something thats making me wonder,
But as im sure youre all aware, Australia has a carpet ban, by this i mean, nothing in/nothing out !
Ive no idea when this ban was first enforced and im sure someone on here knows when the ban was, but what im trying to work out is, where did all of the australian reptiles we have in europe and US come from?When you compare reptile keeping to every other pet related hobby, its still a baby (new market)
And it gets more worring for me when you consider that bredlis were only discovered in what...1986? and im sure australias carpet ban was in place then, so how was i able to buy mine ?
An even more worring bit of info for some reptile keepers ....recently, The Fijian government announced that any fiji banded's in captivity (outside fiji) should be returned to their native country as they are the property of the fijian government :shock:
I wonder who's gonna be first to hand em back ?? lmao!

Yeah... I can't see Fiji getting their banded's back. LOL
I'd say your bredli's were exported illegaly though by the sounds of it.

Yep, and all foxes are the property of the British Government so send them all back too! We will have to get Pugsly to answer this one but I would doubt that the Fijian government would have jurisdiction to declare that an animal in Australia (that wasn't illegally bought here - i.e. bred here) was actually their property.

Most of the animals were taken out of oz before the laws were passed in the mid 80s. Some still get smuggle out unfortunately.

Somewhere I read an article by the Barkers in which they stated that the American Jungle bloodlines originated from 4 specimens smuggled into the USA between the '70's and the '80's. Of course it doesn't mean that other specimens arrived there later with other waves.

With Fiji I assume it depends on who are signatries to CITES. If the country in which you reside is and your animals are listed and all the paperworks is intact then I cant see they would have a leg to stand on.
In the case where a country isnt then what hope do they have. On top of that, unless the animals were kept in optimum and quarentined conditions I doubt that bringing them back to Fiji would be a good idea.

i was told that fiji claim they have never allowed any to be exported out of the country, and no cites paperwork has ever been requested by them, but like you say peter, the risk of bringing them back is to high and costly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back