Do Water Dragons eat fish?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're a funny guy SL. Unfortunately you will notice that either those responses don't talk specifically about EWDs or they just lump it in as one of the many things they can eat. I was more interested in whether people feed them as a staple in captivity
In the wild they eat about 40% vegetation at least so I wouldn't use any meat source as a staple, but as the staple meat source I don't see why not if you can supply enough to meet it's needs, I have been thinking of trying it myself when I upgrade my ones enclosure.

lol what sort of dog is afraid of a bluey? Yeah they will definitely eat those foods in captivity but they shouldn't be fed that as a staple (my opinion anyway)

An old 12-13 yo female poodle who she rescued from the RSPCA about 6 years ago. She's a real sook but a great companion animal for my mum who lives independently in her own home still.
Mum's resident bluey is partial to toadstools, she's seen it eating the centres and stems out of them right through the wet summer months.

My resident garden bluey bit one of dogs next door on the snout really hard and wouldn't let go from what I'm told and now their 3 dogs give the nasty big scary lizard a wide birth when it visits to raid their food bowl.... you'd think the dogs would have killed it but they are scared of it too.

In the wild they eat about 40% vegetation at least so I wouldn't use any meat source as a staple, but as the staple meat source I don't see why not if you can supply enough to meet it's needs, I have been thinking of trying it myself when I upgrade my ones enclosure.

Seems lots of lizards are partial to their greens and berries and fruit. I never knew that until I saw Lizzy tackling grapes, peas, bits of lettuce he found next to the kitchen kickboard. .... I've always known bluetongues liked fruit, because I had one as a pet as a child.

Last edited:
i wish they would eat veggies or fruit the more food i try the more food goes to waste !

i have tired everything with these guys the last owners of them said they were fed veggies but when i try veggies they sit there !

i wish they would eat veggies or fruit the more food i try the more food goes to waste !

i have tired everything with these guys the last owners of them said they were fed veggies but when i try veggies they sit there !
I didn't start feeding mine vegies and fruit until recently and I started with banana mixed with a tiny bit of jellymeat to get her interested, then she just ate everything

Little tiny eany weany dogs are afraid of bluetounges.like my two mini chiahuahuas.but if you're a butterfly in our yard...watch the hell out.you will be destroyed,not big locusts tho.lol.thems is tooo scary.
Is this only about water dragons?if i drop anything in Squishie's,especially a mealworm or cricket into his water bowl he is straight in there to 'fish' it out,swimming right down the bottom of his water dish,fully submerged in other words.i know he digs tuna and salad sandwiches,do you think little tiny fish like maybe little guppies in his waterbowl would be okay for him to try?

To re hash an old thread here but both my boys love to eat all veg and all things with a heart beat.. When they were young i just loaded their salad with mealworms so they could see it move. From there on out they were both greedy as anything.. Both skittish but they will handle me holding them if it will mean food :)

what is a safe fish to feed them too, something with a little size as ive heard goldfish are no good??

I bought "large feeder fish" for my outdoor pond they looked like the fish my father and I would drag out of dams whilst chasing yabbies.
I have seen my EWD take one around 4-5cm in body lenght.

i just bought a few murry river guppies... 6 bucks a pop but they seem interested. also whats an ok umidity for EWD? ive just changed my set up and its getting up in the 80s now??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back