Do we need a licences?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MathewB

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I know you have to have a license but are they necessary? What is the point of them? For me they are just a complete waste of time and a nuisance.

The license pretty much says that they are wildlife but as a one member once said, they aren't wild anymore. They are captive bred and are usually from captive bred parents that have 5 generations of captive breeding behind them (that's not the exact post but it's the jist of it). Is there anything we as the reptile community can do about it? I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't see the point in this system.

I hope I've gotten my point across.

...so that they know it's captive bred? and not "oh hey, I got six new coastals today!" and having no idea where they came from

But why do they need to know? I understand the wild caught thing and why you need a license for that and what you're saying.

well i recently got my first woma python and had a mate ask me what i had to go through to get him i told him about the licensing thing and how i had to return my book each year and everything else and he basically said stuff that but in different words so my point is this i don't believe if he got a snake he would do the research and look after it properly so there you go the licensing system has potentially stopped a snake from being neglected just because the owner wanted one because he thought it was cool

it may just be me but i was under the impression that licences are there in order to track and record the keeping of reptiles in order for environmental preservation purposes. and in some cases the fee used to purchase the licence was then turned over into funding for the agencies responsible for the protection of the animals and the protection of the parties within a transaction that comes under the particular licence. ie your 200 bucks you paid to get the licence is the money used late on to help you by that particular agency to "right a wrong" if something happens during a transaction or if a reptile is being mistreated.
but i might be mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back