do you feed live food to lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but if you try making an issue out of fish then the fishing industry would have to go also, and that aint going to happen lol

just did search like you suggested still cant find valid points that back up your argument. you want me to kill mouse then freeze then defrost then feed over just plain feed and let nature do her thing. Can anyone explain how its cruel, im not doing it for enjoyment, the snakes are doing what comes naturally and why cant you feed your lizards dead bugs or is it you cant be bothered and there for its not cruel. if i was a mummy insect and you were feeding my baby insects i reckon id think its cruel

You don't have to freeze it. Feed fresh kill to your snake if you want.

In the wild, the snakes don't have others holding the mice prisoners, waiting for snake to come along and take it. The mouse at least has a chance to escape and hide, but not in your enclosure it doesn't.

Insects and fish are exempt from the 'no feeding live'. I guess that could be because the lizzies and bigger fish need to see the movement to know the insects are there.

how said my outdoor pits were not locked, padlocks are cheap and never had one escape (not that it would matter since we get heaps of wild browns and red bellies cruising threw all the time. )

Wouldn't feeding chilled crickets or woodies to lizards lower their core temperature ?

Bugs dont blink so it could be really slow and painful

What does blinking have to do with pain tolerance? :?

Will it make you feel better if i start poking eyes out of woodies & crickets before feeding my beardie? :p

You have made me feel really bad now about live feeding these poor little bugs to my boy......i promise in future i shall say a little prayer for them before putting them in a salad. ;)

As for live feeding snakes......its been said a million times why it isnt a good idea, if you still chose to do so, there isnt much people here can do about it......but i wouldnt be raving about it or trying to justify it.......as has been said, once you put a snake in an enclosure, it is no longer wild, so to treat it that way would just be foolish. It would be like me saying 'well in the wild cats kill birds, lizards etc so it is ok for me to offer mine a live magpie or blue tounge for breakfast! :?

Wrightpython might have been a bug in his past life. Maybe that's why he's defending them. He knows what it is like for them, and to see the world out their eyes. :p

how said my outdoor pits were not locked, padlocks are cheap and never had one escape (not that it would matter since we get heaps of wild browns and red bellies cruising threw all the time. )

But don't they by law have to be in a locked room also?

I've seen a wild snake take to frozen food after a lifetime of live food. So I don't believe that once the snake is started on live food it can't go back to frozen

I've seen a wild snake take to frozen food after a lifetime of live food. So I don't believe that once the snake is started on live food it can't go back to frozen

Yes it most cases they will, but it can be anything from an instant transfer to a long drawn out process, and in some cases they will just refuse to eat anything but live again.
Each species will react differently, as will individual snakes, so you cannot really base your opinion on one snake.

Just found this
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/keeping-venomous-snakes-nsw-166002/

Last edited:
Go feed ur snakes live prey then...... and when they get older try change them onto large frozen rats GL With that one mate then once not eating u feed a live adult rat the rat bites ur snake then u have a niiiice big vet bill or a dead snake, Why question authoritys if you cant do any thing to change it, Rules are rules we don't make them we follow them, Its a privilidge not a right to keep reptiles here in Australia abide by the rules and every ones happy.

Go feed ur snakes live prey then...... and when they get older try change them onto large frozen rats GL With that one mate then once not eating u feed a live adult rat the rat bites ur snake then u have a niiiice big vet bill or a dead snake, Why question authoritys if you cant do any thing to change it, Rules are rules we don't make them we follow them, Its a privilidge not a right to keep reptiles here in Australia abide by the rules and every ones happy.

LOL by the sounds of it he doesn't exactly have much regard for the rules....

LOL by the sounds of it he doesn't exactly have much regard for the rules....

But he does care for the well being of our little bug friends.......he only wants some fair treatment for them, i mean, they dont blink afterall, & that is painful! :lol:

I don't understand why people keep accusing the OP of trying to advocate live feeding? Granted he said he feeds live to one snake but I thought the original question was trying to ask why live vertebrates are not ok but inverts are? I think this point has been lost in accusations, misinterpretations and general dismissal of the original question because "they're just bugs".
I'm no animal activist by any means but I'd certainly be interested to find out more about invertebrates' ability to feel pain and whether it is worth considering when live feeding.

I don't understand why people keep accusing the OP of trying to advocate live feeding? Granted he said he feeds live to one snake but I thought the original question was trying to ask why live vertebrates are not ok but inverts are? I think this point has been lost in accusations, misinterpretations and general dismissal of the original question because "they're just bugs".
I'm no animal activist by any means but I'd certainly be interested to find out more about invertebrates' ability to feel pain and whether it is worth considering when live feeding.

Just one of those thing on here Sax...

Although it was part of his original question.

Just wondering if people feed live food to lizards and whether there is legalities with that. Are you allowed to feed live bugs and if so why arent you allowed to feed live mice etc

But he does care for the well being of our little bug friends.......he only wants some fair treatment for them, i mean, they dont blink afterall, & that is painful! :lol:

Crap... my snakes and geckos are in constant pain....

Last edited:
Your right!! Venoumous snakes in NSW need to be in a locked room where NO ONE can acces the room... Just had to find this out as my partner is looking into keeping venomous snakes....

geeeeeezzz.................just feed it what it will eat...........just dont tell anyone about it and there is no problem..... keep it to yourself......gee whiz mate

almost everyone feeds live mice or rats at some stage. bang it on the head if you want to feed it a dead mouse.
there is nobody out there to police it , so , do what you have to do.

snakes dont go looking for a freezer and a bucket of hot water out the bush do they ?......they take nice live warm possums , bilbys , bushrats , wallabies , koalas, parrots , cats , baby birds in nests ,......the list goes on.

Vertebrates are protected by the animal cruelty act and invertebrates are not. That is why you can feed live inverts and cannot feed live verts. End of discussion.

snakes dont go looking for a freezer and a bucket of hot water out the bush do they ?......they take nice live warm possums , bilbys , bushrats , wallabies , koalas, parrots , cats , baby birds in nests ,......the list goes on.
Snakes don't go looking for an enclosure to live in, a water bowl to drink from or a light bulb to bask under either do they mate? They also get eaten by foxes, cats, eagles, goannas. Don't compare wild snakes to captive snakes unless you plan on releasing your captives - that is the height of stupidity.

yeah right...... !

hit a nerve there didnt it ............ and who gave you the right to end the discussion

No, not everyone feeds live at some stage, sorry. Poser halfwits always do, but not everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back