does anyone know what skink this is?? (pics)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omg_ebtl

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i live in victoria and i went to this place called mount donna buang, its 2 hours east from melbourne, it is in the middle of the yarra ranges national park and on the summit there were heaps of these skinks, this area was like forest and humid but also rained alot and occasionally snowed. these skinks are pretty big some were probably 25-30cm long, im 100% there not blue tongues, i just want to know wat type they are? i was 90% certain they were a type of water skink but i then found out none actually occur in this area (or am i wrong??), there is a stream about 20 meters from were they are though anyway here are the pictures of one that i caught (then released).
hopefully u know wat type it is, thanks
sorry i dont know how to post the pics on here but i there is a link below:

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/anthonyebtl/skink/

Eastern Water Skink, Eulamprus tympanum. Interesting white, red and brick wall backgrounds you found by the stream!

Why is there a brick wall / carpet in the middle of the Yarra ranges national park ???

repl

noo i took these pictures at the resort i was in, in the rec room,
btw how is it an eastern water skink when this is in southern victoria??

could be a Eulamprus kosciuoskoi , they look similar to me and are found round where you are .

Looks gravid.

I thought that too, although I thought it might be funnier to just let it surprise him with babies later.

dickyknee: I read your post and thought "What on Earth?" then reread the first post. I mistook the word 'east' for 'west' :p It doesn't look like kosciuskoi to me, although for a moment I thought it might be heatwolei, given where it's from, but I had another look at the pictures and I'm sticking with tympanum. E. kosciuskoi has a pale stripe between the dark dorsal area and the flanks.

I thought that too, although I thought it might be funnier to just let it surprise him with babies later.

dickyknee: I read your post and thought "What on Earth?" then reread the first post. I mistook the word 'east' for 'west' :p It doesn't look like kosciuskoi to me, although for a moment I thought it might be heatwolei, given where it's from, but I had another look at the pictures and I'm sticking with tympanum. E. kosciuskoi has a pale stripe between the dark dorsal area and the flanks.

i thought that to??

Eastern Water Skink, Eulamprus tympanum. Interesting white, red and brick wall backgrounds you found by the stream!

E. quoyii are usually called "Eastern Water Skinks", that definately a "Mexican Water Skink" E. t. tympanum..sometimes called a "Southern Water Skink" by locals

Well I did say Could have been ;)
I'll have to get out the books and do some reading :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back