Does this sort of thing annoy anyone els? sugar glider related

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missllama

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I have been reading alot on a sugar glider site that i use
mainly on the classifieds
this is a site that is based in the usa and alot of things like this has come up:

My female is pregnant again and I can not afford to get the male fixed at this time. I am located in Palm Coast, Fl and am willing to send him to a good home. He needs TLC but is great. If interested let me know. He will need to be picked up.

"next post"
Well I shouldn't say that I can't afford to get him neutered. Actually there isn't a vet in my area that will do it. To get it done I have to drive an hour away.

(this thread goes on a bit more then she states that the female is pregnant and she wants to get rid of the male and sell the joeys etc)

Now im not saying this doesnt happen in australia, BUT if australian animals need permits here, why wouldnt they need permits in a country they dont even come from??

as far as i know most places in america u dont even need a permit to keep them
alot of people get them as cute little pets and have no idea what there getting into, someone even stated that yesturday on the site to me that they wouldnt have ever got one if they knew how much work time and care it was going to need

it just really irritates me because they are such delicate animals and to see all these people making threads about not being able to afford to care for them etc is just making me frustrated there are so many things like that on there and i just dont understand why they would be alowed in america and why they arnt on permits in all the places there

:evil:

how do you get a sugar glider in Aus anyways? like, what permits n stuff??

and that is rather sad, the americans seem to be like that as a typical stereotype, not knowing what they are in for with animals.. but as i said not all are like that.
that is rather sad, i agree with you. they should have to need permits and special care certificates or something to be able to keep animals such as these.

Nat ;)

hey nat :)
i know that they are only availible on permits in sa nt and melb i think??

i am sitting here reading different forsale posts and half of them are people who are just sick of them or say they dont have time, but some of them are just rediculous

Now im not saying this doesnt happen in australia, BUT if australian animals need permits here, why wouldnt they need permits in a country they dont even come from??

:evil:

Well, it isn't a species native to North America. so no need to protect them with a permit system.

Unlike some North American endemic species that are controlled in some states.

Oh i get what ur saying
so its not how difficult etc it is to care for them its the fact that they dont need protecting because there not native there
never thought id say this but thanks australia :p

Well, it isn't a species native to North America. so no need to protect them with a permit system.

Unlike some North American endemic species that are controlled in some states.

ahh i see. yer, i was talking to a keeper at a zoo i volunteer at, and they were saying that you probably might not be able to in QLD, i think im going to look into animal care, then i might be able to re-habilitate some (sp?)

i agree with you, if they dont research it fully, and dont understand what they are getting themselves into, then they shouldnt even be considering the animals at all.
tis sad, but not surprising with the way the world is headed these days! but that still doesnt make it right.

Nat ;)

but i still think an animal like that should be on a permit because it is such a delicate animal that needs so much care not just anyone should be alowed to get them

ahh i see. yer, i was talking to a keeper at a zoo i volunteer at, and they were saying that you probably might not be able to in QLD, i think im going to look into animal care, then i might be able to re-habilitate some (sp?)

i agree with you, if they dont research it fully, and dont understand what they are getting themselves into, then they shouldnt even be considering the animals at all.
tis sad, but not surprising with the way the world is headed these days! but that still doesnt make it right.

Nat ;)

yea u should look into that sort of thing, if u were in some type of fauner rescue u would probably be able to care for sick or injured ones that need relising at a later date

Oh i get what ur saying
so its not how difficult etc it is to care for them its the fact that they dont need protecting because there not native there
never thought id say this but thanks australia :p

You can walk in off the street and buy exotic (and some endemic) reptile species in North American pet stores
with out permits..

I remember one store near St. Louis that had Frill Necks for around $100 US, and Blue Tongued Skinks for
$200 each, no permits needed for either species.

And is why there is no black market in America that sells reptiles/exotics ... or is there?

The illegal wildlife trade in the States is enormous.

:(

Hix

that [deleted] me, ild love to own a sugar glider but cant cause im in NSW, yet these noobs who dont no what there doing can own then

Last edited by a moderator:
i no its pretty crazy i think that its rediculous that they can send them to america but not to most states lol

What can we say it's America..... A lot of animals are either abandoned or just left to die. You can think of how many guns they have and how big the weapon's trade is for them.

Then look at the reptile market I'm quite sure there are some people in the USA that thinks its an awesome pet then after about a month lets get something newer AND COOLER!

I personally think only zoos and organisations should be the only people that have the power to look after such glorious animals. And in very rare cases private Care but a proper check and make sure that the citizen is taking care of the animal and abiding all the proper caring guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back