Does this sound right?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyror

Reaction score
Hido ho,

I have recently bought a micro climate b2 thermostat, and have it set up with my esky incubator (without eggs - these are due soon) just to get it all sorted out and working properly. The prob. is for me to get the temp. upto 30 degrees C i have to set the stat to nearly 35C. To me this doesn't sound right. I have a glass thermometre in the esky and an indoor/outdoor thermometre running aswell- which are both reading the same. Once the desired temp. is achieved, it does hold it fairly steadily with only plus/minus 0.1-0.2 degrees the difference.

Could it be that the stat is faulty? or could it be that my heat source just isn't powerful enough? I am using a 4m (15W) heat cord to heat the esky, which has internal dimensions of approx. 40x20x30.

Ben,
The reading on the thermostat itself is irrelevant generally with any thermostat...this is totally normal. As long as the temps are what you want in the incubation container (make sure you measure it inside the container, not just inside the incubator) then you'll be right.

Simon Archibald

Thanks Simon.
That is what i thought would be the case. The only annoying factor is that i think i would have some hassles getting it up to 31 deg C the way it's set up now. But not to worry, since i'm only going to be incubating the eggs from my painted's at this point. And while i'm on that topic, and since this is my topic and i can change it as i please :)

What temp would you be aiming for, for these eggs? it's sitting on around 29.7-29.8C atm.

When you've bred painted's in the past, have you supplied any type of egg laying medium for her? and if so what?

Ben.

She's looking damn fat! Her belly is like a barrel! Where the males spine kinda slopes downwards from his head, hers slopes up and back down to her tail.

Ben,
I simply supplied a moist sand medium to lay in...although everytime she laid, she buryed in breeders choice (which I had in there at the time). I'm just keep a section of the cool end nice and moist, so it clumps well, and also provide a nest site of moist sand as well.

Temps around 30 degrees were what I incubated at last time. Probably constant 30 would do well I think.

Simon Archibald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back