Dog bite advice needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,The second dog wasn't having any of it and as i was leading him to the bath he turned around and bit me.

There's your answer. Most of those dog washers have no real idea how to deal with dogs and fall into it out of misplaced emotions.
As you stated, the dog "wasn't having any of it", yet you still forced it against it's will to make a buck. A tiny puncture to the thumb (which was nothing more than a warning - it didn't grab you by the Achilles and drag you down nor gnaw on your throat etc) and you want to report it. To whom?

I'd suggest you get a basic understanding of dogs and their inherent nature before you embark upon a career you are not suited to. It's not the dog, it's you.

Jeez, if I had my way, dog washers would be banned anyway. Washing your dog is a basic responsibility of dog ownership, and gives you a chance to look for ticks and skin disorders etc, and anyone that reckons they haven't time to wash? You're having a laugh!

This year I celebrate 20 wonderful years of being a "canine beautician" lol. I have had many bites in my time, but only 1 really bad one. Most dogs will bite out of fear rather than aggression.My advice to you shooshoo is to not report the incident. If you are going to report every dog that gives you a bit of cheek your reputation will be ruined in no time. People will be fearful to book in dogs just in case "fluffy has a temper tantrum! The problem with most dogs is the owners, not the dogs themselves. And I must say some dog groomers arent doing the dog justice either. Greeting dogs with a handful of treats and pats is not a good idea in my opinion. These things should be used as rewards only. Assert yourself immediatly with the dog so that he knows you are boss. If you receive the behaviour you want ONLY THEN reward. I am privliged to have many clients who have been kicked out of numerous grooming salons for their behaviour. And I havent had to use a muzzle for years!. Not only do we have to be groomers, but also vets and psychologists all at the same time!

I think that the stuff said in the previous three posts are completely correct. The dog was probably just being defensive because it didnt want a bath. And yes, you must remember that it is an animal and their nature is different to that of a human.
Then again, if the owner or its previous groomers can confirm that it is a "repeated offender" and a generally agressive dog by nature; then you should report it to the council/police/rspca (not sure who handles it in brisbane). But don't be too hasty in choosing whether to report it or not.

All viable responses have been said shooshoo, getting bitten sucks big time.. And the worst thing yet after asking a few morally based questions on what you should do, you get slapped by unintelligent incoherent gibberish from members about how you don't know your job and its really your fault.. I really believe that an IQ test should be conducted before being allowed to join specifically this forum.

If you don't have anything constructive to say guys and just want to flame someone to make yourself feel better, go see a psychologist and get some prozac

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you should report it. The dog just bit as it was being led to do something it didn't want to do not just randomly bit you because you were walking past. I'm for you being compensated but i would say that would be from your work as it should no doubt be a occupation hazard at times and they should be covered but hope you get the result you're after whichever way you go.

And frankly, just because I work in an animal related industry does NOT mean I should expect to get bitten.
...yes you should.

As I have stated previously, I am worried about this animal doing damage to a child.
That would be a sound argument, if a child grabbed its leash and tried to hydrobath it against its will

I am appalled to see such comments as ‘suck it up’, since when was it acceptable for a dog to bite?
It's not acceptable for a dog to bite if you aren't doing anything to the dog.. If you were walking across the street and the dog came charging out of its yard and bit you - that is unacceptable. If the dog bites you because you are forcing it into an activity it does not like, that is a completely different kettle of fish.

I am a veterinary student. When I go on prac and immunise dogs, take their blood, scrape their skin, clip their nails, restrain them against their will etc etc and they have a go at me.. do you think I kick the clients out, tell them to find somewhere else to go? Do you think I get on the phone to the council and report an aggressive dog? No of course not, that is absurd.

I was not threatening the dog or its owner ... and I was not encouraging a bite through inappropriate behaviour.
You were forcing the dog against its will to do something it does not like.. it reacted by lashing out at you ... once. That does NOT constitute 'aggressive dog' status. An aggressive dog would have been on you like a cat on a mouse, biting, growling, shaking and not letting go. You weren't subject to an aggressive dog attack, you got bitten.

I have a Sharpei and have done for quite a few years. He doesn't like water of any kind nor does he like other animals, but he does love people. So as an owner what do you do? Keep him in a yard, walk him on a leash, wash him myself. This incident lies solely on the owner and it should be him that is reported not the animal. The owner of any animal that doesn't know / understand there pet should be dealt with

All viable responses have been said shooshoo, getting bitten sucks big time.. And the worst thing yet after asking a few morally based questions on what you should do, you get slapped by unintelligent incoherent gibberish from members about how you don't know your job and its really your fault.. I really believe that an IQ test should be conducted before being allowed to join specifically this forum.

If you don't have anything constructive to say guys and just want to flame someone to make yourself feel better, go see a psychologist and get some prozac

Your post and your signature have a kinda ironic bent :lol:

So many people here are willing to judge shooshoo, her abilities, her intentions and the situation without even knowing her or the actual event. Unless you know the person why do this...what does it achieve, she was after advice about an incident and instead gets judged.

I have seen many "calm" animals turn on their owner, let alone someone who is grooming them, given the breed of dog is a fighting dog and the concerns that she has expressed, then the owner of the dog grooming business is the one that should make the final call about reporting the incident or not. If it is to be followed up on then be prepared to be honest.

Agree

So many people here are willing to judge shooshoo, her abilities, her intentions and the situation without even knowing her or the actual event. Unless you know the person why do this...what does it achieve, she was after advice about an incident and instead gets judged.

I have seen many "calm" animals turn on their owner, let alone someone who is grooming them, given the breed of dog is a fighting dog and the concerns that she has expressed, then the owner of the dog grooming business is the one that should make the final call about reporting the incident or not. If it is to be followed up on then be prepared to be honest.

Here, here. Any dog can turn on anyone for whatever reason. Sure shoshoo is in a job that can make you prone to misfortune but we don't know her, we were not there on the day in question. It's not fair to judge her like she is being judged.

The dog has bitten. Whether or not it should be reported is a question that only she and her fellow workers/boss can decide. Give her a break.

We all learn from our mistake and will do so until the day we die. Could a muzzle have been placed on the dog? sure. Could the owner have done it? sure. Should shooshoo have taken the dog towards the hydrobath or should the owener have done it? in hindsight probably the owner.

Should the bite be reported? Possibly....the dog may have bitten before.

Just because shooshoo reports a dog for a bite does'nt mean she is trying to get the onwer in the poo and it certainly does not mean that the dog needs to be put down.

it can be explained that hte dog has never bitten before. It can be expplained that the dog has always been of excellent character etc etc. Shooshoo can explain that she does not want any action taken against the owner or dog but that up to her to decide. I don't believe that anywhere has Shooshoo implied that the dog should be destroyed which may warrant a hostile response.

Some people need to take a look at the bigger picture and get off their high horse, instead of just bagging the crap out of someone when they don't know the person or the situation.

It ****'s me to tears when people post asking for advice and they get shot down. This is the point!!!!!!!!!! They have asked for advice......not to be scolded like a little kid.

This happens far too much here on APS and is a real reason why we have lost so many decent herpers and there for lost a great deal of our knowledge base and hence we now have so much mis-information going on.

I hope the dog only bit as a fear response of being bathed when it may have been distressed as a result of a previous similiar event. I hope it does'nt bite again. I hope this has'nt scared you off in anyway and I truely hope that people don't be so quick to judge.

Snakehandler, there are many good idea's, opinions & learnings from others experiences within this thread. Shooshoo DID ask for advice, opinions. These have been given by ppl that have taken the time to read through the forum and felt that they had something to give. Good or bad, they are "opinions". Shooshoo needs only to read the constructive idea's thoughts that are of benefit to her, and ignore the others. I am not being narky, but when you ask such an open question, you must be prepared for the good and the bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-devil
Before you started your employment, Did they train you in the correct handling techniques for all different breeds, if so, how and where?

What do you know about the sharpei's charecteristics and did you take that into account when approaching, greeting and handling the animal?

Blaming the breed of dog is a cop-out. At the end of the day, if the owner buys a breed of dog, they should know if it tends to be aggressive and should train it out of them from day one. You can't rely on breed of dog to make an assessment about how they will behave. Only the owner can tell you for sure.

Firstly, where did i blame the breed of dog? I simply asked if they were trained in correct handling techniques for various breeds.
I would be the last to lay blame against an entire breed, so get your facts straight.

Secondly, YES you can make a "General assesment" of what you will be dealing with going by breed alone ie you will be expecting Large/small dog , Long coat/Short coat, general behavioural traits (hyper, placid, guardian, etc etc) But NO you can NEVER rely on breed information when dealing with individuals, and to make the assumption you or I would or could is ludicrous.
Each and Every dog is different and will act and react in simulated situations very differently.

Thirdly - For all those out there believing this Misconception that the Sharpei IS or WAS a Chinese Fighting Dog, Is WRONG!
You will find if you look into it (Not just pick up a TDF book in your local petshop lol) That this Common misconception started when the dog was exported fromits native homeland and the only information that was obtained in those times was in chinese, the translation was lost somehow and they were left under the impression the Sharpei was a Chinese Fighting Dog. This has been shown to be false.

Shooshoo you did ask for advise but then stated that you had already decided what you were going to do.??? I was one of the first mobile groomers in Australia and I had a few bites over the years, to begin with you should have been given muzzles that is the fault of your boss, there should have been a first aid kit in your van so you could attend to your wound straight away, and not rely on the owner for detol.The fact that others from your company have washed this dog and haven't been bitten is a concern, maybe your method differs from what the dog is used to??? You should be covered by work cover so out of pocket issues should be minimal. Working with any animal has its risks as im sure you are aware,we all get complacent at times that's human nature the same as it is animal nature to react in the only way they know how.

here, here ..... there are way too many keyboard commando's trying to prove something....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back