dog food recipes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i
Some of what Lewy wrote makes sense. Unfortunately, fad diets for animals usually miss out on a few points.
- Dogs, as we know them, are not wild animals. That is why they are referred to as 'domestic'. Therefore, when we speculate what they may eat "in the wild", we are probably dangerously off the mark. Most dog breeds have had the "in the wild" well and truly bred out of them over the past thousand years.
- Chicken carcasses generally contain high levels of potassium and sulfur, which is consistent with mass, cheap production. Unless you are killing yourself, there is the risk of these contaminants in your animal. Worse still, commercially bred chickens are generally fed a steroid-based diet (both meat birds and layers) which will affect your animal in many ways, mostly unknown ones. Just as genetically modded foods may affect us, the cost is still unknown.

The BARF diet certainly has some good points, but please do your research. Sometimes the obvious solution can be the right one! Sorry to muddy the waters :)

I can say it no better so I will begin with a quote from Dr Ian Billinghurst who pioneered the BARF diet

"Because the BARF feeding program is based on the diet our pets have eaten for millions of years, it is in no way a radical change for our pets. BARF is actually a return to the biologically appropriate method of feeding that was abandoned a mere 60 to 70 years ago when processed pet foods took over from more traditional methods." Billinghurst (2001) pg 4

"When our pets were forced to abandon their evolutionary diet and were switched to processed pet food, instead of undergoing instant adaptation, they suffered biological damage and body breakdown on an enormous scale. This continues today. Our pets' basic physiology cannot be changed by a few decades eating processed food. Such a rapid change is a biological impossibility." Billinghurst (2001) pg 4-5

Humans just aren't as great as you give them credit for. Sure we have selected dogs for temperament, size, colours, confirmation, etc (domestication) but we have by no means changed their basic physiological mechanisation.

I beg everyone out there to read the BARF book. I borrowed it from the library first, tried it, then bought the book as I saw the old dogs 'incurable' skin dramas disappear and both dogs bloom. So many commonly accepted modern degenerative diseases, skin, eye and ear problems, etc disappear with good nutrition.

I went to uni and got my degree, majoring in animal production, anatomy and physiology. I understand how animal feeds are developed and believe me, it has little to do with the long term true health of your pet. They simply provide the basic minimum needed to keep your pets alive. Some add afew good oils to bloom the coat but this wont last forever. These foods (in particular those containing excessive Omega 6) can create imbalances in the dogs body which lead to many more health problems in the long term.

I also ran an Inghams broiler production farm for a while and there are NO STEROIDS in the chook food. This is a myth. The chickens were selectively bred for high growth rates then are fed a food which supports rapid growth. They can do this as you eat them at a max age of about 56 days so they dont need to support their bulk into old age.

Sue

Last edited:
The large marrowbones are a brilliant idea, however, whatever you do, DON'T feed your dog/s "offal" (fresh liver especially) There was a big thing about this a number of years ago, eating the offal can cause big problems.

I used to buy my chihuahua fresh chicken mince and mix rice and vegetables with it.

Offal can be dangerous mostly due to its potential to transmit hydatid cysts (tapeworm larvae) to your dog which can then transmit them to you. This can be deadly.

We only buy offal packaged for human consumption. This removes any risks of feeding offal. There is no way an abattoir is going to intentionally allow infected offal into the human consumption market.

By the way, all offal that is rejected for human consumption is used in pet foods.

Most of the dogs that were getting sick from offal were hunting or working dogs that were getting organs from wild or wormy animals. I dont know the current risk of getting this offal from my butcher so I stick to human stuff. Freezing the offal for 7 days at minus 10 degrees C will also kill the hydatids.

If you make a large quantity and freeze some, LABEL it!!! Make sure the label is clearly marked dog food, or you may end up eating it yourself (thanks dad).

Offal can be dangerous mostly due to its potential to transmit hydatid cysts (tapeworm larvae) to your dog which can then transmit them to you. This can be deadly.

I'm pretty sure large quantities of liver provides your dog with excess amounts of Vitamin A which can lead to skin problems.

Sorry Jen, but that is so funny! :lol:

You're sorry!?! You didn't have the crunchy bits thru your 'savoury mince' :)

Hehe, my dad say the dog food I made and was about to eat it last night for dinner. Im sure it would be okay...

:lol:

I'm pretty sure large quantities of liver provides your dog with excess amounts of Vitamin A which can lead to skin problems.

Yes, large quantities of liver or even medium doses on a daily basis can cause vit A toxicity. It can also cause birth defects and numerous other dramas. Offal shouldn't make up any more than 15% of the dogs diet and it is best to feed a variety of offal. Offal is a very valuable food though being very rich in essential vitamins and minerals.

If excessive quantities of most foods ourselves and our animals eat are consumed, you will get problems. Variety is the key.

i used to have a dog whose diet consisted of mostly kibble with table scraps often and meat occasionally including rabbit etc . and he was an extremely healthy and fit dog even at 13 years old. but yeah just a mixture of good quality kibble, roo meat and vegetables will be good. as for the overweight one just a lower fat diet and exercise should help him lose it. their should be tonnes of ideas for low fat meals on the net.:)

They're dogs not humans...they need fat.

If you've got a pudgy dog, 9.5/10 it's not getting enough exercise.

I agree with the BARF diet, but I am too lazy myself (I tried a few times), so my dogs get supercoat, table scraps and a meaty bone 1-2 times a week.

Kim

I am extremely lazy (and cheap) when it comes to the hound's food. I get bones and scraps from the butcher, chicken wings (on sale) and carcasses from Leonards. The occassional packaged roo meat from the supermarket. We also have some high quality dry food that we keep in the shed for emergencies (eg when I forget to shop). When feeling extra energetic I mince up pet mince (or cheap mince from Coles) with purated veges, eggs (and shells), garlic into a paste type thing - he LOVES it. Also if offal etc is going cheap I grab it as well. I feed a very large dog for well under $2 a day. The vet says he's one of the healthiest dogs he's seen. Great teeth, no extra fat, lovely muscle tone. The one thing I always avoid is tinned dogfood - I'd rather not pay for water and slop. He even goes to a kennel (on holidays) that only feeds raw food - not tinned. All you have to do is smell "tinned-food poo" to know it's not good for him.
Oh yeah and off course table scraps are an obvious part of his diet. Very little of what he eats is not fit for human consumption and his health attests that this is the best way to go.
I did read the BARF diet books mentioned earlier in this thread but got lazy and have developed my own version of this.

I have a recipe out of my Weight Watchers cookbook. They care for overweight pets too :)

1L water; 1c uncooked brown or white rice; 1 med. potato chopped; 1/2c sweet potato chopped; 1c pumpkin chopped; 1c dry wholemeal or plain pasta; 1c raw rolled oats; 4 eggs; 1/2c flour; 1 1/2tsp calcium carbonate; 1/4c carrot grated; 1c spinach chopped. And choice of 400g chicken with skin, plus 100g chicken liver or
2c regular beef mince plus 100g liver 0r..
400g fish plus 2tsp olive oil.

Preheat oven 180c. cook rice in the litre of water in a large saucepan. Add potato, sweet potato. pumpkin & pasta and cook for further 15mins. Then add the remaining ingredients including your choice of chicken, beef or fish. The mixture should be moist but firm, add more oats if necessary.

Place mixture into an oiled loaf tin and bake for up to an hour. Remove loaf from the tin and place in the oven for a further 10-15 minutes to set.

Divide up and serve to your dog :D

It looks great, could almost eat it yourself :p

I am extremely lazy (and cheap) when it comes to the hound's food. I get bones and scraps from the butcher, chicken wings (on sale) and carcasses from Leonards. The occassional packaged roo meat from the supermarket. We also have some high quality dry food that we keep in the shed for emergencies (eg when I forget to shop). When feeling extra energetic I mince up pet mince (or cheap mince from Coles) with purated veges, eggs (and shells), garlic into a paste type thing - he LOVES it. Also if offal etc is going cheap I grab it as well. I feed a very large dog for well under $2 a day. The vet says he's one of the healthiest dogs he's seen. Great teeth, no extra fat, lovely muscle tone. The one thing I always avoid is tinned dogfood - I'd rather not pay for water and slop. He even goes to a kennel (on holidays) that only feeds raw food - not tinned. All you have to do is smell "tinned-food poo" to know it's not good for him.
Oh yeah and off course table scraps are an obvious part of his diet. Very little of what he eats is not fit for human consumption and his health attests that this is the best way to go.
I did read the BARF diet books mentioned earlier in this thread but got lazy and have developed my own version of this.

That diet sounds close to perfect to me! Simple, easy and cheap and just what the dog's body wants. Its pretty much what we feed except that we substituted the occasional dry feed with frozen BARF meat patties. :lol:

Sue

It's good to hear you want to change the diet. My dog loved stews, meat, vegies and some rice and pastas. Sometimes i mixed gravy with dryfood and she always got our leftovers. Its not hard to make a little extra for the dog while you make the famlies meals.
The same went for my kids no canned food all cooked fresh.

Good on ya to the people who can be bothered cooking for their dogs. My dog is currently on Science Diet and soon looking to change to Eagle Pack/Holistic Select kibble. May be the most expencive out there, but there's not artificial colours or preservatives. It also cleared away my cats colitis.. which is great as i was putting up with sloppy poo for months and hills prescription wasnt working.

Adance dog biscuits list chicken meal as the first ingredient plus its Australian made. Hills, Eukanuba, Iams and ProPlan (fancy supercoat) all have corn based ingredients listed first. Eagle Pack ONLY use human grade meat in their foods.

My two cents :)

Gotta be careful your dog is getting all of his vitamins when you cook it yourself though. We have a big rottie at risk of Hip Dysplacia and have been warned by the vet on numerous occasions that a home cooked diet can be harmful if not planned properly. Speak to your vet and they can recommend additive vitamins that you add into the food, we have had our boy on a home cooked diet all his 6 years and he's going strong. I know it sounds awful but check out his stools when u change his diet to see how he's reacting to it.........the first sign when their diet is off !! Herps are great but you still cant beat a good Dog, good luck !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back