Dogs In 'Worst Condition Seen'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Packages

Reaction score
Dogs in 'worst condition seen'

January 13, 2008 02:26pm
Article from: </IMG>

• More than 100 dogs seized from QLD kennel
  • Suffering worm, maggot infestations, matted hair
  • Owner facing charges

MORE than 100 dogs have been seized from a boarding and breeding kennel after the RSPCA found the animals in "appalling" conditions.
RSPCA inspectors and police raided Waterford Boarding Kennels and Cattery, just south of Brisbane, on Wednesday.

Dogs on the property – including pure-bred poodles, labrador pups and a pomeranian – were in filthy enclosures with matted faeces and urine in their fur and maggots in their orifices.

RSPCA veterinarian Anne Covill said the living conditions were "abysmal", with many dogs suffering skin inflammations and riddled with worms.

"Internal parasites are another issue but it is too early to tell how bad it will be," Dr Covill said. "It's the worst condition I have seen in such large numbers."

The Sunday Mail was present when the RSPCA and police launched their raid armed with a warrant to enter the property.

Mrs Robertson initially refused to allow the inspectors into her house and yelled that negligence claims were "vexatious" and "false".

She relented after being warned her door was about to be kicked down and she could be arrested for failing to comply with the warrant.

Mrs Robertson, who maintained the dogs were well-fed and seen to regularly by a veterinarian, admitted looking after the dogs was hard work on her own.

"I agree it's too much for me," Mrs Robertson allegedly said to inspectors.

RSPCA veterinarians vaccinated and groomed the dogs and will now monitor the animals for any signs of the canine parvovirus.

Inspectors are considering charging Mrs Robertson with breach of duty of care, which carries a maximum $22,500 fine or 12 months' imprisonment.

A record number of complaints has swamped the association so far this year, with RSPCA officers called to investigate more than 40 cases a day.

RSPCA spokesman Michael Beatty said inspectors had received 441 complaints of animal cruelty or breach of duty of care since January 1 in Queensland.

Mr Beatty said the number of calls to the Queensland RSPCA call centre had risen dramatically, due in part to the popularity of television show RSPCA Animal Rescue.

"Before the show aired we were receiving between 9000 and 11,000 calls per month to our call centre," Mr Beatty said. "Since the show aired, our call centre has received about 20,000 calls per month.

"We just wish we had the staff to keep up."

The 101 dogs seized from the Waterford property included six being boarded there by their owners, who were being contacted by the RSPCA. Eight of the dogs had been bought and were to be sent overseas.

Pure-bred poodles sell for between $850 and $3000.

Geraldine Fooi Fong Robertson, 62, is registered with the Australian Securities and Investment Commission as the owner of the "breeding and grooming" business.

A sign at the front of the 2ha property also advertises services including clipping and grooming.

But Beaudesert Shire Council said Mrs Robertson did not hold a valid boarding kennel licence and had been given no environmental authority to conduct such a business in the shire.

In 2007, 15 boarding kennels, 332 pet shops, 22 tourist attractions and eight circuses were investigated following complaints made by the public.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23045774-2,00.html

332 Queensland pet shops were reported to the RSPCA in 2007!! That is disgraceful though I'm sure NSW, Vic and SA are just as bad. Seems like the RSPCA really have their work cut out for them, perhaps what we need is to send a few 'angry mobs' around to these places to deal out some swift justice! The laws are obviously not working, and everybody knows that 2 wrongs make a right, so let's do it!!!!!!

Poor bloody animals.....
I once reported a dog to the rspca which was in a very similar situation and they told me they couldnt do anything because the dog was fed, had freedom to clean water and had access to shelter..... altho it was kept on a 6 metre by 3 metre concrete slab, which was covered in poo, never walked, and couldnt do a wee without getting all the splash on his legs :(

Good to see they got the 100+ dogs tho!! :D But they could also do alot more!!!
Sorry for the whinge, but i cant have rspca looking like hero's when they are far from it :p

Thanks for sharing Packages

Bill.

12mths prison is a joke, that old bit should be getting a flogging . animal crulty charges are pathetic,animals can be physically abused,negleted and almost stared to death with minor penilties. we need to step up and some serious punishments should be dished out.

Well with all said and done, at least they were able to get the animals some attention that they deserved.

Only yesterday i was at a Pet store in another town and i thought the way there Birds was kept was disgraceful, however i dont think there is even an Rspca Inspector Close by... i might just look into it i thinks.

I saw that and was again sickened ! People like that have got a mental problem for sure. Im not joking , you gotta have something up to be so cruel. I worry about one bit of **** in my kennels , when i saw that i was blown away :evil: Its a crazy old world , Matt

I have no time for the RSPCA. Maybe some of their inspectors do a good job but a lot of them are just power hungry idiots who don't know one end of an animal from the other. :rolleyes: They tend to only take cases that will create publicity. Call them for a genuine reason and they aren't interested! The animal welfare league in SA is heaps better.
The woman in that story deserves to locked in her own kennels for 12 months rather than go to jail. Jail is too good for her IMO.:evil::evil:

Yeah saw that on the news, the dogs were in shocking conditions glad she got caught!

:shock:I was apalled when I saw this:(:x... she said she was going to breed them:? If I was a buyer I wouldn't get them knoing that they were being kept in conditions like that.
Then they askedher if she thought they were healthy and she said they looked fine;):shock::?.
Even when they got shaved, they were malnutritioned (sp?). I hope she never owns a animal again
I really hope she cops both penalties :twisted:

well I got that off my chest *sighs*:rolleyes:

Poor bloody animals.....
I once reported a dog to the rspca which was in a very similar situation and they told me they couldnt do anything because the dog was fed, had freedom to clean water and had access to shelter..... altho it was kept on a 6 metre by 3 metre concrete slab, which was covered in poo, never walked, and couldnt do a wee without getting all the splash on his legs :(

Good to see they got the 100+ dogs tho!! :D But they could also do alot more!!!
Sorry for the whinge, but i cant have rspca looking like hero's when they are far from it :p

Thanks for sharing Packages

Bill.

6x3 is considered acceptable, you need a minimum of 10 square meters. Concrete is also compulsory for guard dogs, restricted breeds and declared dangerous dogs in some states.

I and my mother have shut down several people like that when we were showing dogs and run a rescue organization. I once saw someone throw a dog out of the car that was horrendous.
Poor dogs

To read this.....leaves a disgusting taste in ones mouth....sometimes we all have to realize that there are people out there that are not fit ...nor have the understanding of what raising a animal or even children of our own race is about.
Yes ,too often ive called authorities to deal with either businesses or personal breeders/keepers etc that are not fit to call themselves animal lovers.... it sometimes makes others better & more wary of the responsibilities we have...& to try to educate those that need to be educated!..thats our job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back