Nail-gun dog 'loved by everyone'

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that is puzzling to me is that it seems to be ok if a python kills a cat but when a dog is mentioned to have done so here it's just sooo wrong lol talk about playing favourites :p

i feel sorry for the cat in either case but its nature, dont want you cat eaten... dont let it out simple

I wonder what she did to provoke the dog.

Regardles of whether a dog "can" kill a kitten - it simply shouldn't! If anyone owns a dog that has killed two kittens, and then doesn't take SERIOUS measures to curb its behaviour, it seems clear that it's only a matter of time before something more serious happens.

How do you change a dogs instictive prey drive?

I wonder what she did to provoke the dog.

Some dogs just snap. I was house sitting a place with teo dogs. The younger one, about 18 months old, i think it was a greyhound cross just changed one day. It decided i was it's owner and no one else, even when the real owners got home it didn't like them. It ended up biting a couple of people and had to be euthenazed. They can just go loopy.

Weird... I've grown up around nice dogs I guess...
Can't imagine one just snapping for no reason.

Apparently the dog was chained up everyday, because it kept breaking out of its yard.

Then she had it locked in her bedroom.

You cant keep a dog like that. Who knows what else the dog went through, and how it was treated.

Stupid owner. :( She has stated she wants another one (Pitbull), maybe she should get one of those Robo Pets instead.

How do you change a dogs instictive prey drive?

It's called domestication. If you are going to keep a dog, then you need to sure that it won't attack, otherwise it needs to be kept in appropiate conditions (ie muzzled, penned etc) . Otherwise, if you allow that it's acceptable for a dog to "instinctively" attack and kill, then its next prey could be a small kid, or, as in this case, an adult.

Yeah Isis, I agree that a big animal (of any type) can kill a smaller animal on purpose or by accident, however in this situation, with the outcome of the chain of events, and the implication in the article, I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that they were actually deliberate attacks.

It's called domestication. If you are going to keep a dog, then you need to sure that it won't attack, otherwise it needs to be kept in appropiate conditions (ie muzzled, penned etc) . Otherwise, if you allow that it's acceptable for a dog to "instinctively" attack and kill, then its next prey could be a small kid, or, as in this case, an adult.

Yeah Isis, I agree that a big animal (of any type) can kill a smaller animal on purpose or by accident, however in this situation, with the outcome of the chain of events, and the implication in the article, I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that they were actually deliberate attacks.

So, by your theory, if a fox terrier hunts and kills a rat, is it then going to turn into an aggressive dog and attack a child or adult? Simple answer is no.

Pretty much the same as greyhounds chase the "rabbit" (when racing). They have a high prety drive, so it makes them fairly unsuitable to rehome (retired racers) with a cat owning family, though some have done it successfully.

All dog breeds were developed with a specific purpose in mind.

The retrievers and terriers bred for sporting reasons, and the herding and working breeds all retain levels of the inherent drives that made them suitable for the tasks they were bred to perform.:)

There are dogs which have and always will have high prey drives. You cant change that.

Theres a really good article in the link below about Prey Drive and Aggression. :)

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/catchasing.html

domestication takes hundreds/thousands of years of domesticating each generation. you cant 'train' instincts out of a dog in 1 generation.

e.g.. sheep are fully domesticated took hundreds of years, now they have lost there ability to evade prey.

I will try not to ramble on too much but BSL is something I feel pretty passionately about (I own a great dane at the moment, unfortunately they are yet another breed that are facing the chopping block of BSL)

Okay i'd like to point a few things out...

A)Neighbour "Mrs Upton also believes Diesel had killed her kitten before Christmas."
Why does this only seem to becoming to light now??? I know if my neighbour's dog killed one of my pet's I would have had something done about the dog!! She could have called the council, pound... whatever, but there is no mention of her taking any action what so ever. I'm not saying her kitten deserved to die (if it did) but if the neighbour had been a responsible pet owner she wouldn't have had her kitten out roaming.... she would have had it locked up so ultimately the death of kitten would be on her hands as she did not fullfil her responsibilies as an owner. Seems both owner and neighbour are guilty of being irresponsible owners! Aswell as this I am faily sure that due to pitbulls becoming a "restricted breed" in this country they are classified as a dangerous dog in all states so if the proper guidelines were followed in regard to keeping a "dangerous dog" how would the kitten have been able to get into the pitbulls enclosure

B) Has there been evidence that this attack was in fact from a Pitbull??
I counld not even begin to count the amount of times dogs have been misidentified as pitbulls in dog attacks.... for christ sake I remember not so long ago the was a dog attack on the news for a "Pitbull" which was in fact a rhodesian ridgeback... but hey, it's the media... i suppose the word pitbull always makes for a better story!!

C)"The owner who refused to be named said 11-month-old Diesel, who yesterday mauled her sister in the Sydney suburb of Greystanes, was "loved by everyone"."

"They only see this attack, they don't know the joy he brought into our lives. For the past 12 months, he's been the best and most exciting thing in my life."

Now I am the first to admit that at school maths was not my strongest subject but something doesn't add up right to me!! Looks to me like there might be a few holes in this story??

Personally I see this as a sad end to a story of irresponsible pet ownership... it was the owners fault for not doing the right thing with this dog and unfortunately it is the dog and the tradie (who was put in such a terrible position) that have paid the price.

Sadly, its just puts another nail in the coffin to BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) and if that gets through, all powerful breeds will be in danger. :(

Sad but true :(

l had to destroy my dog after an attack a few years ago . A visitors son [ 7 yrs old ] decided it would be fun to beat the dog [ german shep x ridgeback ] with a stick . He had the dog cornered and was hitting it when the dog lunged and bit him on the face .

How sad for you Jungletrans, but again, it the owners (and parents) respsonsbility to supervise the dog and the child. I would never leave any kid unsupervised with my dogs (not even my own 10yo).

My thoughts exactly ishka Everyone is quick to blame the pitty sounds like the owner wouldnt even know what it was, Any attack from a cross bred dog and the Big bad pitty gets the blame. They think it is responsible for the both cats but dont say it was definatly him!!! For most have never had the expeiriance of owning one of these great dogs they just agree with what everyone else says ( they are savage mean un trustable creatures) I have owned many and would never hesitate leavin my Neices or any other young kid in the yard with them, Trained and disaplined from young they can be freindly as any dog, they are not as hypo as most dog breeds and mature alot earlier so you dont have silly dog jumping and niping like others. this kind of thing makes my blood boil!

Not just all powe full breeds will be in danger either there is alot of breeds in there that people dont think about. Its going to be a sad place indeed if these laws go through. BAN THE DEED NOT THE BREED!!!!!!!

or what about this article..... hmmm.... something tells me the media may be more interested in a good story that reporting the facts!!

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23250314-2,00.html

Now this "bloodthirsty pitbull" "savaged not one but two women and not only killed a cat but apparently ate it as well!!!

I suppose next up we will be hearing about how the kitten was only an appetizer and he actually followed it up by eating a tiger as the main course.

Ahh.... gotta love the media, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

The media has neva been known for tellin the truth, The truth dont sell!!!

My thoughts exactly ishka Everyone is quick to blame the pitty sounds like the owner wouldnt even know what it was, Any attack from a cross bred dog and the Big bad pitty gets the blame. They think it is responsible for the both cats but dont say it was definatly him!!! For most have never had the expeiriance of owning one of these great dogs they just agree with what everyone else says ( they are savage mean un trustable creatures) I have owned many and would never hesitate leavin my Neices or any other young kid in the yard with them, Trained and disaplined from young they can be freindly as any dog, they are not as hypo as most dog breeds and mature alot earlier so you dont have silly dog jumping and niping like others. this kind of thing makes my blood boil!

You leave young kids unsupervised with your dog/s? :?

I hope not, kids and dogs unsupervised often equals accidents.

(dont care if they are pitbulls or pugs, they both need to be supervised) :)

They are always people around, just saying that some people say that kids and dogs dont mix. Its more often the dog that needs saving from the kids!!

A YEAR OLD PIT IS A PUP THAT COULD KILL YOU QUITE EASILY.:shock:

Alot of year old pups can maim a person very easily.

We don't even know the full story. We can't judge.

But stupid idiots like this ruin it for all the genuine, responsible dog owners....And yes there are some out there with pit bulls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back