Down lights

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so do the bulbs look different to the 12v ones or is it just the fitting thats 240v

Just the fitting. The bulbs look basically the same. If you look at Spongebob's thread called small monitor enclosures or something similar you can see them

That looks like it will do the job. It seems expensive to me but then again I've got no idea how much they'd cost at a regular shop :/

That is expensive, the same thing would only cost $30 at bunnings.

so do the bulbs look different to the 12v ones or is it just the fitting thats 240v

The globes are different. The contacts on the ends of the globes are completely different so you can't use the 12v globes on the 240v fittings.
You also need a minimum 200mm clearance above the globe for the heat to dissipate.

But the are a great heat source to use for monitors.

The globes are different. The contacts on the ends of the globes are completely different so you can't use the 12v globes on the 240v fittings.
You also need a minimum 200mm clearance above the globe for the heat to dissipate.

But the are a great heat source to use for monitors.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that clearance. We run the 12V 50w dichroics in cavities only about 10-12 cm deep with no problems what so ever. You just need to leave that cavity open at the back to let heat out.

Yeah, but im an electrican and the minimum clearance is 200mm
having said that though ive got some in the same sort of enviroment as Just_plain_Nuts

fitted a downlight to a enclosuer that im building its 600x450x450 its been on for the last 3 hours and the temps are going up 31,32,33,ill update later tonight
its a 12v 50w set up,now for the silly question a20w or 35w would be cooler wouldnt it im trying to run a system with out a therostate
stuff 003.jpg

Yeah, but im an electrican and the minimum clearance is 200mm
having said that though ive got some in the same sort of enviroment as Just_plain_Nuts

I am too thats why i stated the distance. haha but like you said i have them in my enclosures with small clearings swell.

The 20w will be cooler but i would highly advise using a thermostat!
Looks good to BTW.

fitted a downlight to a enclosuer that im building its 600x450x450 its been on for the last 3 hours and the temps are going up 31,32,33,ill update later tonight
its a 12v 50w set up,now for the silly question a20w or 35w would be cooler wouldnt it im trying to run a system with out a therostate
View attachment 203792

Yes smaller wattage globe = less heat.

Been using these for well over a decade.
240V 50W GU10
Pias009-1.jpg

I am too thats why i stated the distance. haha but like you said i have them in my enclosures with small clearings swell.

The 20w will be cooler but i would highly advise using a thermostat!
Looks good to BTW.

According to the regs is the 200mm clearance just over the top of the fitting or all the way around?

very nice bredli Ramsayi..................8)

it was on all night and it stayed at 34 now ill try today with thermo and set it at 32 and im going to look for a red one today

Last edited:
xmickx - If you want to do a no thermostat set up, then the temperatures you reached using the globe that you have are fine. 34 is a pretty good temp, just monitor it for a few days, see how much/if any variance there is in different parts of the day. If you get fairly stable temperatures, then you would be right to leave the thermostat off. But in saying that, everyone has different opinions about using/not using thermostats, but if you are smart about it you will find it is an easy way to set up an enclosure

thanks melluvssnakees for that im trying it out now for a couple of days without thermo.i dont have a problem with a thermo just trying to use this system with out one so i dont have a thermo failing

i went to bunnings saw downlights and baught a $11 downlight kit with cage and wires straight to 240v mains which was easy enough to put a cord on with a switch. pretty sweet deal seeing that it already has a cage around it that costs 30bucks at the pet shop.

In all my enclosures i use gu10 240v 50w halogens (bout 5 bucks from bunnings)... these are pluged into a E7 to Gu10 adapter (less then $1.50 ebay)... which screws into my ceramic fitting then the halogens plug into the adapter...
Been testing these for about a month and very happy with the setups... gives a nice basking temp and bunnings also sells red gu10 halogens if you want night heat..
Plan to use the same adaptors to replace compact fluros with gu10 led lights..

Here is a link to the adaptors i use
Light Lamp Bulbs Adapter Converter E27 to GU10 LED new | eBay

With the 50W ones you can easily get like 70° if your basking spot is sitting close enough. Most people get a nice 50° basking spot with the 35W ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back