Dragon Heartattack?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jinin

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I Have or HAD 4 roughly 6month Old, Eastern Bearded Dragons, I had them housed with others then realised that one had some if its tail bitten, the tail was still dangling so i put some diluted betadine on the tail and washed it. It was still dangling on, i thought it may heal. I kept them in there still but today i decided i would seperate the 4 of them, I started to put them into a tub to give them a wash. I took the first one, gave it a quick rinse just with warmish water. The tail-bitten one , when i got him out of the tank (where he was previously living) he was running away from me when i grabbed him, he was certainly lively. I go to put him in the sink to get a rinse to clean his damaged tail, he was fine. Then i just put him in the water and he died straight away...

Why could have this happened??? I thought first nah, hes not dead hes just sitting there, his head went limp, so i put him under a light to warm up for about 30mins, still nothing. So i put him into a tub under a UV light and heat lamp for about 20mins, still nothing......... So i checked for any signs of breathing or anything at all! but nothing...Stomach not moving, eyes closed, body limp.etc He has to be dead right? I just don't get how he could have died, could it be some sort of heart attack??

Could have died of shock? I hope you find out soon and this can hopefully be a lesson well learnt...

Just to add: you can take it the vet if you're prompt to get it checked out...

I think they are prone to heart problems, esp males that are over exerted during breeding season, also think that hypocalcemia (low blood calcium levels) might also play a part possibly..

So sorry to hear about your loss..

Was it cold water or luke warm water?

Thanks guys, the water was warm. As i stated above, i made sure it was warm because I didnt want them to be cold 8]
What could have led to cause hypocalcemia as they are given lots of UV and calcium on their roaches.

G'day Jinin,

It could have been a lot of different things. I once had a Carpet Python that was in absolutely immaculate condition, until he started losing the ability to control his muscles. It started from the tail tip and continued up towards the head over the course of about an hour, until it died. We took it to a veterinary friend who dissected it and found a ruptured abscess on it's lower intestine from memory. There were no warning signs at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back