Eastern Water Dragon Diets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thoricane

Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Hey guys,
I am having a hard time finding a comprehensive list of what to feed and what not to feed these lizards. At the moment I am alternating between live crickets and fresh fruit coated in calcium.
I have a large water container in the enclosure (not one pictured, new one is a lot bigger), and was wondering if fish is on a dragons diet in the nature? If it was, I was going to go get some cheaper fish (perhaps those neon fish) and let them have some fun with those... But not if it is a bad idea!!

And in terms of water filtration etc, what method works best? I currently have a submersible pump which I was told by the aquarium folk is also a filter, but I am sceptical of this information, as the english on the box was, lets say, sub-par ;)

Thanks guys, I have a load of questions about these guys, I want to make sure that I don't do the wrong thing! Cheers!

Crickets, woodies, snails, slaters, grasshoppers, moths, earthworms, mealworms etc....

Vegies, fruits, rocket, baby spinach, grapes, dandelions, hybiscus flowers, eggs etc..

Some use dog food, and pinky mice.

I'd imagine they eat fresh water shrimp in nature occasionally..

Last edited:
my girl eats fruit, green leafy veges like bok choy, nasturtium flowers, dandelions, crickets, occasional meal worms, woodies and yes they do eat small fish although I have not fed my girl any as yet but people feed them thinks like white clouds and small feeder fish. If the pump takes some kind of media, eg: sponges etc it is a filter as well if not it is just a pump. My girl lost half a toe to a filter so be aware of that and try and place it inside a bit of pipe or similar.

buy a book called keeping australian water dragons. by jason goulding and darren green. it will answer every question you could possibly have about water dragons, food, breeding, enclosures, water quality, filtration etc. best 15 odd dollars i ever spent. In terms of filtration a canister filter outside of the enclosure would work best for removing large solids and also cleaning the water of ammonia etc. this would also be able to go longer without cleaning than a small pump like you have and do a better job too. small fish are fine my water dragon eats em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back