eastern water dragon substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fogeater

Reaction score
im wondering if a mixture of peat moss and coconut bark safe for water dragons

I use coco peat for mine that I have indoors. I feed in a bowl to minimise ingestion.

A friend of mine uses fake turf from Bunnings, but I find it very hard to clean after a water dragon poop. I did used to use "soft fall" which was a tiny little woodchip you find in kids playgrounds. The only problem was the dust in it, and it was too much effort to wash it all and dry it every time. I use just butcher paper now. My baby doesn't mind at all.

Last edited:
Mine have never once tried to eat the pet moss or cocopeat. I keep all my indoor water dragons on it as it is by far the cleanest as anything you miss when spot cleaning gets broken down into the peat/cocopeat. None of my tanks have any small at all and it lasts a long time.

I use coir block stuff, its really good but i find they seperate the fibers and the dirt stuffs alot and i end up pulling big bird nests out.. Im thinking of mixing it 60 / 40 with playsand to see how i go. Has anyone done this??

Yep, I have a mix of playsand and oco-peat. Looks good, easy to spot clean (that said, they poop in their water anyway so cleaning's not hard)
The only issue I've had with it is the coco-peat tends to end up in the water a lot. I'm happy with it though.

I set up a (eBay) canister filter set up on my 52ltr water tub. Cost me 50bucks total and it takes care of the water.
To give you an idea, I waited till the water was horrible. A whole week of poo and skin and coco fiber an dirt, the water was green/brown and was putrid.
I installed the filter and in 3 days the water was crystal clear. I have 3 gold fish and 2 Murray guppies living in it and I haven't changed the water once in 2 months now( only water top ups) I don't feed the fish because they are a food source but they eat bits of crap out the water and they viv sits at a constant 60% humidity now I've lowered my temps a bit.
I think once I change the substrate up a bit I will have a ideal viv for the little guys.

Oh and I have cleaned the canister out once in this time just to get all the substrate out of it. :)

Toby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use coir block stuff, its really good but i find they seperate the fibers and the dirt stuffs alot and i end up pulling big bird nests out.. Im thinking of mixing it 60 / 40 with playsand to see how i go. Has anyone done this??

Yes, it helps keeps the peat down (not so fluffy). But the sand got in the glass tracks, which sucked.

yes, it helps keeps the peat down (not so fluffy). But the sand got in the glass tracks, which sucked.

that is a sucky side effect. I got a dust buster from salvos with a thin nozzle that is great for track sucking for only 5 bucks....

A friend of mine uses fake turf from Bunnings, but I find it very hard to clean after a water dragon poop. I did used to use "soft fall" which was a tiny little woodchip you find in kids playgrounds. The only problem was the dust in it, and it was too much effort to wash it all and dry it every time. I use just butcher paper now. My baby doesn't mind at all.

LOL I can just imagine you scoping out childrens playgrounds at night to collect your "soft fall" with bucket and shovel.

what are the risks of an eye infection if i use this type of substrate

what are the risks of an eye infection if i use this type of substrate

What type??

They are very hard animals, I wouldn't think they get an eye infection from coco Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back