easy and fun to look after???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leezel73

Reaction score
Hi all
My hubby is going away for awhile soon and we'll be moving to Melbourne and I've decided that once we're all settled and his gone I want to get a new pet for the family ( I have 2 boys age 4 and a half and 19 months) and NO I DONT want a dog or cat or bird or guinea pig or fish... I've been looking at either geckos or frogs, but I dont know much about looking after either... What would people suggest that are fun for the kids to watch and help me look after?? My 4 and a half year old loves all reptiles (he loves my spotted but wants her to be bigger so he doesn't hurt her- his words not mine)
any suggestions would be good...

Get some blue tongues, easier to care for then bearded dragons. Can have them out and watch TV with your boys and you (They are slow moving) They can live off dog/cat tin food etc. And there about same size as a bearded dragon. That's just MHO though.

Yeah, blue tongues sound the best for young kids. Also, frogs need dechloriated water, and you have to make sure your hands are clean every time you touch them, which is a little difficult for a four year old (especially one that always wants to touch- I'm stereotyping four year olds). I'd go with blue tongues.

def blue tongues absolute awsome for a beginner and so gentle they are great with kids!!!!!!

i would go a blue tongue. they are quite hardey to soo u'r kid wont be scared about hurting it!lol

not quite sure what happerned there it was supposed to have 3 smiley faces

well id go with frogs.You need a license for frogs and it is only 60 bux for 2 yrs.

I THINK blue tongues need 30-37c for heat tehreand there enclosure a adult can be fine in 90x60x40 or so. Maybe even a touch smaller. So you'll need a basking bulb and a uvb either a murcury vapor (does heat and uvb) or a uvb tube. Or you can always take them out for some sun

I wouldnt say blue tongues are slow moving as they can run really fast.

I wouldnt say blue tongues are slow moving as they can run really fast.
Actually, I have read on bluetongueskinks.net or something like that they are slow... Maybe they run fast when they are scared.... But they are normally slow moving...

I depends on how they feel, if they don't want to be touched they can run fast, but if there tame they may slow down.

Its the same with shingle backs, people say they cant run fast because they have stumpy legs but when they want to they can.

I'm just talking about personal experience here so its just what I think and know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back