easy and fun to look after???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so suprised that no one have really rated frogs or geckos... But hey I do like the idea of a blue tongue but if I go that size I think I prefer a bearded but hubby aint into them as much as me, but hey he is going away

Just bite the bullet and get a snake, Geckoes will be boring in a few weeks as you never see them much during the day, frogs need alot of cleaning, Large skinks are good, as are snakes, most snakes are dead to look after. Beardies are heaps of work, and cost a small fortune to feed.

Ok, If you want something a little different, I'd go for a desert animal (they are usually much hardier and easy to keep)....what about a Gillens monitor, or one of the spiney tailed skinks such as a Hosmers / Gidgee ect???

Ridge tailed monitors are easy to look after as long as they are given a very hot heat spot, they are entertaining and are active reptiles.

Hi Leezel

We have a variety of snakes atm from a big 10ft very placid olive to a baby water python, and also have a 4yo daughter and 19mo son and our 4yo loves helping with the snakes and handling them, they are great pets for little ones as long as they know the rules, our daughter knows to wash her hands use the hand sanitiser gell, be very gentle, no quick movements etc

imo snakes are the best pets for kids they can learn so much from them, my daughter is as snake mad as we are. If your son thinks the spotted is too small have you looked at getting a older/bigger snake? I don't know the size or age of your spotted but we have three adult ones that are the perfect size for our daughter to hold, she even holds two at a time lol

The only snake she doesn't hold by herself is the olive as he is so big she needs help to hold him, and baby baby water as he is still kind of snappy but she holds the other eight snakes with a lot of confidence, more confidence then some of our friends who won't even go near our snakes lol

The best bit with getting another snake is that you already know how to look after them and the enclosure set up, maybe you could take your son with you to see what snake he likes and thinks is big enough that he won't hurt it.

Goodluck ion what ever reptile you choose!

Out of all my herps, my ridge tailed monitors are the best to watch - very lively and entertaining. I keep my adults in a 4x2x2ft.
They are very very fast out of the cage though so if they wanted to hold whatever you get, I'd go with the blue tongue ;)

Geckos are awesome but not really for kids ;)

Well I still have 3 months before hubby goes away... Might look at making it as a Xmas present for my 4 year old or even my xmas present... hehehe

I love my spotted but I'm just getting used of her, I had/have a fear of snakes and I dont want to get something bigger until I am 100% comfortable with my spotted, I think I'm doing pretty well, I can now feed her and hold her with out freaking out, NOW I just have to get her out of the enclosure by myself (that will happen REAL soon, I can feel it)

Hubby wants to get 2 BHPs when he gets back so we'll see how we go...

Maybe once we move I'll just build an enclosure and then wait until I find something that I really like

Cant beat a blue tongue for kids friendliness, my guy dino is more than happy to sleep in the hood of my jumper for hours, they're nowhere near as fast as a frog, and will generaly give a good hiss before even thinkin about biting and quite low maintenance compared to frogs or beardies. And if you have a garden with snails you have free food already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back