Eels!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan19

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
was watching this creature thing show today for a bit, and on it this young guy owned two eels.
What i wanted to know if there are any eel owners out there on this website? and if you have any pictures aswell?

Have none at the moment but have kept Australian eels, spiney eels and a fire eel...

Have no pics on computer will have to scan some in when i get a chance..

The Aus eels are notorious for escaping and eating anything else in the tank, The spiney eels are really particular as to what they eat (live blood worms) and the fire eels are bloody expensive $300-400 at least..

Ben

With everything togother including tank, filter, eel ect... they look like they are a pretty expensive setup?

Fresh water eels are cheap as but hard to keep in the tank LOL escape through filters and bash against the lid crazy critters and i think they have teeth too

I opened this thread thinking you were talking about the Parra Eels, oh well. :lol:

i remember the good old days when me and my mates use to catch eels at centennial park lol '
with all the asian tourists screaming and giving us the weirdest looks as we pulled eels out of a pond... lol

my fav are snowflake eels - don't own any unfortunately but used to know someone who had one

ive got some eels in my fish tank, not sure what kind they are, about 6 inches long striped and never see them unless its feed time, wont be long and they will be frontosa food

hey dan lol
i own a green moray eel.
ive had him for about a year now after my snowflake moray died for no apparent reason.
honestaly i wouldent recomend a green moray for a pet. ive worked in an aquarium, own 2 other marine setups and have read every text on morays i could find and have still had about 10problems with him. not to mention when i got him he bit me and bassically shredded most of the skin on my thumb, well now hes 3 times the size he was then.

the snowflake was a great one to own so if i had to id recomend one of them. but at the same time you must remember that a small marine setup will cost about a thousand bucks and they are a lot less hardy than most reptiles. the water must be perfect and the setup must be perfect aswell.

Oh yeah, i remember that you had one aswell. I cant be bothered with one right now anyways as they seemed like they had too much effort in them. whered u get yours anyways

I've seen Short-finned Eels (the common ones in the rivers and lakes of south eastern Australia) 'swim' up to about 10m through mud which was firm enough for me to walk on. I'd try to catch them from puddles in drying lakes and billabongs, they'd bury into the mud and pop their heads out some time later, quite a distance from the puddle, sometimes pushing up from underneath large chunks of solidified mud. When the puddles dry out even more you'd just see their heads poking out into the air from the almost dried mud. Those things slither their way across incredible distances of dry land, it's amazing to think that they breed out in the ocean but still manage to exist in large numbers in some bodies of water you'd think are completely inaccessable to them. No wonder they're brilliant escape artists! I tried keeping them about 15 years ago. I actually did manage to contain them in the aquaria, but for some reason I had a lot of trouble keeping them alive. It used to astonish me that a creature which could live in filthy, stinking, firm mud in the hot sun would drop dead in a fish tank.

thanks Sdaji, i never would have thought that they could swim through pretty much dry mud. thats good as lol
any pics of setups here?

we have a marine eel, a snowflake one and a zebra moray eel, and i also have a tropical spiney eel

maybe they need filthy dirty hot sun conditions Sdaji :D you were to good to them

i want an eel :D
eels are great fun to watch eat stuff and nip at the swamp hens and eat the chicks hahaha i want one

Nat ;)

I thought long-finned eels were the common ones.
It is amazing some of the places they are found, we swim with them regularly at a place that has at leat 50 rapids to navigate before they get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back