eggbound? help...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i really hope she pulls through for you Tony.

however ,i think putting that thread on a public forum was a bad idea...its going to put alot of ideas in the uneducated minds of alot of people to save a buck IMO, not saying that's what you've done here, I'm talking about that other thread.

I'm sorry to hear what the poor animal has gone through, can i ask (with all due respect) why you didn't involve veterinary assistance?

I'm sorry to hear what the poor animal has gone through, can i ask (with all due respect) why you didn't involve veterinary assistance?

For a second there i thought i must be the only person wondering this..

Those oviducts wont go back by themselves, what did Wokka say would happen to them?
I never saw any part of the reproductive tract when I visited. I suggested Tony get some KY jelly to insert into the cloaca to lubricate the eggs. Unfortunately I had to go to Sydney, a 4 hour trip, and so only spent half an hour there. CP, I agree the reproductive tract wont repair itself and needs either veterinary attention or euthanasia.

So how's your girl doing?

Sorry to hear you n ur snake is going through this. Fingers crossed she pulls through.

what a heartbreaking story, really sorry she had to go thru that, mustve been awful for you as well. :(

not trying to make u feel worse, but im wondering if she'd gone straight to the vet and had them cut out under anaethesia would she have made it? (i know there was no vets available etc, just out of interest)

i didnt think eggbinding would be such a risk on a 4-5 year old 'solid' snake,...

Retained egg removal is not an uncommon verterinary procedure, and snakes usually recover very well from it, and in most cases it's not a very urgent procedure - you could wait 2 or 3 days if necessary. This looks like butchery to me... Posting photos like that on the internet is fabulous fodder for those who would like to prevent us from keeping reptiles in this country.

Jamie.

I've had to replace a bearded dragons prolapsed oviduct a while ago, the owner had masaged some eggs out of her and pulled the oviducts with. which is pretty common when they leave it to long before doing anything as the eggs stick to the oviduct lining. She went really well and even layed another 2 clutches for that season fine. that included drug therapy, and oviously veterinary attention as well. But not all are that lucky. infection is definitley a big one

Retained egg removal is not an uncommon verterinary procedure, and snakes usually recover very well from it, and in most cases it's not a very urgent procedure - you could wait 2 or 3 days if necessary. This looks like butchery to me... Posting photos like that on the internet is fabulous fodder for those who would like to prevent us from keeping reptiles in this country.

Jamie.

The first intelligent post in this thread.

Because there has been very narrow opinions voiced regarding this incident i guess i should add my 2 cents..

Firstly i don't know you personally Tony or your animal. But as Jamie said retained egg removal is a fairly straight forward veterinary procedure and is virtually painless for the animal if as previously stated they have not adhered to the oviductal lining. If they have surgical removal is necassary. Attempting to remove retained eggs by manual manipulation shouldnt be done by anyone inexperianced. Your female has died undoubtedly because of your intervention. The brutality your female suffered, to me, is virtually Animal Cruelty. Animal cruelty is defined :

* Cruelty to animals is the infliction of suffering or harm upon animals, other than humans, for purposes other than self-defense. More narrowly, it can be harm for specific gain, such as killing animals for food or fur use. Diverging viewpoints are held by jurisdictions throughout the world. Animal cruelty generally falls into one of three categories: neglect, intentional cruelty or sexual abuse.

I high lighted neglect as i believe this is what this incident falls into. Failing to provide your captive animal with necassary veterinary treatment. There has been threads posted detailing retained egg removal, and yes it can be done by those who are experianced. But the fact vet treatment was not sought after your self attempted removal, with the animals reproductive organs hanging out is animal cruelty and utter brutality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back