Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilian

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi ppls, I am able to upgrade my license to the top rec license in around 18mths (still quite a while) which will allow me to keep elapids...Because im a little while off yet, i wanted to start researching now...I am also planning a snake handling course before then, but was just wondering if any of you elapid keepers have any hints and tips in all regards to keeping them...Any first aid precautions (bandages etc)...Also any web links or vens books would be great, thx...

Are the conditions (temps etc) similar to pythons, hints with handling, cleaning etc etc...

Also I know it depends on each individual snake, but does anyone know about general temperament of these snakes? Death Adders (desert, pilbara, Southern), Tigers, Dugites, Gwardar, Mulga

any advice and tips are greatly appreciated...
Thx...
Ash...

What experience have you had with elapids??

None as of yet apart from relocating 1 or 2 brownies from my back yard to the bush...Thats why i wanna start learning as much as i can...I have 18mths to learn and gain experience before i can keep them...

and Ive been reading stuff on here, but there aint too much stuff that gets posted about elapids on here, compared to pythons...

Is there any licenced reptile relocaters in your area?

Im not sure what snakes you can keep there but i think it would be a good idea to get some colubrids or harmless elapids if possible. Elapids are nothing like pyhons apart from them both being snakes.

39 views and no comments???

Here's a hint, don't get bitten! ;) ...........That's real good advice :D

I suppose most hot keepers would say you should look into getting an enclosure set-up that has you in control when you open the enclosure (eg: no front opening tanks). Hides with lockable doors on them so you can lock the hide off from the rest of the enclosure while you perform cleaning duties without having to remove the snake.

I don't keep elapids sadly, although I think those days are numbered, but I know quite a few who do. I'm sure you'll get much more info off the ones who deal with hots on a daily basis. But these tips are certainly some of the ones I'd seriously consider. Most of the red bellies and tigers friends keep are p-u-s-s-ycat (God, does everything have to revolve around sex on this site???? :lol:) tame anyway ..... but then again...there is that complacency word stepping in! Caution will be your greatest tool!

Death Adders (desert, pilbara, Southern), Tigers, Dugites, Gwardar, Mulga, spotted Mulga

These are the only vens we can keep on our top class recreational license, along with olives southern heath monitors and Gould monitors...

Regards...
Ash...

Make sure you speak to DEC about their requirements as well as it's not just a case of upgrading to a Cat 5. They will quite happily issue a non-elapid Cat 5 after an inspection, but will expect 6mm glass, locks, locks on doors to the room the enclosures in, permission from local council etc.

As far as WA Elapids go, start with the adders. A antarcticus are generally easier to feed, the pyrrhus and wellsi can be a bit finicky but once they start on rodents most seem to be ok.

Personally id say adders first, tigers, kings and then the browns. Tigers get narky sometimes but theyre fairly predictable in what they do where the browns seem to change their minds pretty quickly ;)

Only my opinion, i guarantee peoples will vary.
Jordan

Without a doubt, you need to have compression bandages on hand at all times and know how to use it!!! (many people put them on too tight, then they have to either be removed or risk losing the limb.)
And I'd check if your local hospital (does Broome have a Base hospital?) carries the antivenom for the species you want to keep.

Make sure you speak to DEC about their requirements as well as it's not just a case of upgrading to a Cat 5. They will quite happily issue a non-elapid Cat 5 after an inspection, but will expect 6mm glass, locks, locks on doors to the room the enclosures in, permission from local council etc.

Yeah Im aware of the requirements, thx...I get all my enclosures made of 6mm glass anyway, and have them locked...Also what is the point getting a cat 5 without getting vens...LoL

but thx for the advice...

Without a doubt, you need to have compression bandages on hand at all times and know how to use it!!! (many people put them on too tight, then they have to either be removed or risk losing the limb.)
And I'd check if your local hospital (does Broome have a Base hospital?) carries the antivenom for the species you want to keep.

Yeah, apparently if you put them on too tight then they cut of the circulation and once removed will shoot straight to the liver pretty quick...Also yes we do have a fairly good hospital (ppl from other areas get sent here for semi-serious stuff that there hospital cant deal with...That being said, i would think that the hospital would have it, being regional but its something i never thought of and will need to find out...Thx

Yeah Im aware of the requirements, thx...I get all my enclosures made of 6mm glass anyway, and have them locked...Also what is the point getting a cat 5 without getting vens...LoL

but thx for the advice...

Olives :D

yeah i know and the gould and southern heath monitors...I would love some adders tho...and the gwardars look cool...

I keep all elapids you have listed apart from Dugites and Desert adders. They are all quite exept the Pilbra adder is a bit snappy. HOWEVER!! They require your 100% attention when they are being fed. The southern adders lay motionless until there rodents are offerd then release an explosive like strike that never ceases to amaze me. No second chances for complacency with these guys!

My best advice to you is,always remember that elapids are very fast and agile unlike Pythons.
I would start with Red Bellied Black Snakes due to the fact that they are the least venomous of the big elapids.

Good Luck.:)

My best advice to you is,always remember that elapids are very fast and agile unlike Pythons.
I would start with Red Bellied Black Snakes due to the fact that they are the least venomous of the big elapids.

Good Luck.:)

Someone did pm me and say that RBBS would be good to start with, and i would love a couple...Unfortunately in WA we are not able to keep them...I posted a list in my 1st and another reply that has a list of the vens we are able to keep...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back