Electrical problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Channaz

I had two 75 watt infrared bulbs, on an on/off thermostat, heating my melamine enclosure.

I removed one of the globes, because it just didn't seem to be needed. The thermostat has also been switching off a bit recently, plus I turned everything off during the hot weather in Melbourne.

Now, one of my fittings has stopped working. Is using only one globe likely to have contributed to the problem?

Is having a fitting go kaput a common problem? Is there an easy fix (based on this limited info) or do I need an electrician?

By the way, I know I'd be a lot better off with a dimming thermostat... just haven't got one yet ;-)

Maybe just the little metal contact inside of the fitting that touched the end of the globe.Try bending it a little( with the whole unit unplugged ).

yeah the intense heat tends to "warp" the metal contact point sometimes, try bending it outwards, gently.

If you unscrew the ceramic fitting itself there should be two screw terminals inside. Perhaps one of the cables has come off the terminal?
as said above, make sure you unplug the fitting first!! Do not rely on the switch being off as your safety because who knows what has been wired behind the powerpoint.

Moses

- - - Updated - - -

Also in answer to your question, no light fittings don't often just fail. There are no moving parts inside so it either has to be a wiring issue or as stated before the contacts not quite making stable contact with the globe. If this happens for a while you can get arcing which can cause carbon build up and cause further issues. Have a look inside where the globe screws in and if you see corrosion or carbon build up get in there with some sand paper and clean it up. Again, unplug first!!! Also I make it a habit of turning the switch on before you start screwing the globe in, that way you know when you can stop turning. Nothing worse than putting a light fitting back together and realising you didn't screw the globe in enough.
Hope this helps

Moses

This may not be relevant but I’ll give you all the details in one hit, just in case.

I am not quite sure of the timing involved here. Did the second fitting stop work immediately you removed the first globe? If it did, replace both globe and they should both work. This set of circumstances arises when the globes are wired in series (all the electricity passes through one and then the other) rather than parallel (the circuit is split to allow electricity to go through the globe and at the same time onto the next globe. Removing an element from a series circuit stops all your electricity flowing.

If you are getting by on an on/off thermostat with those lights it is quite likely they are hooked up in series. Each globe reduces the overall flow of electricity and neither gets as hot as it normally would, which means less wear and tear on the element. It’s like putting two kinks in a hose as opposed to one. To reduce the heat output, try replacing one or both with a 50W.

Blue

Thanks for all your responses and my apologies for this delay in replying. It seems to have been the metal contact with the globe. I bent it a little and then it worked... phew! Actually, it wasn't completely that simple, but I think that was the thing that made the difference.

I do really appreciate all the advice you get from so many knowledgeable people on this forum. Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back