Emaciated Central Netted dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Josh
Yeah my money is on multiple parasites that have got out of hand due to VERY poor husbandry as a diagnoses

I have used a cat food that you get from the vet, it's called ad. It stimulates their appetite, & encourages them to eat. If you can't syringe it into their mouth, syringe it around their mouth & they usually lick it off. It has worked for a fussy eater of mine.
If you get some electrolyte powder(from the vet), & mix with water, syringe aswell, should give them a bit more energy & hydrate. I hope this helps.
Kind regards,
James.

Thanks
Yeah that was recommended to me by Gary via pm
I ended up getting something similar
Its too soon to tell if its helping though'
Thanks will keep everyone updated

Good luck with it. Get a faecal sample to the vet for a faecal float ASAP. I'd put money on a tapeworm/roundworm potential burden before coccidia. You'll probably find pin worms too but then they aren't uncommon to find even in healthy reptiles.

I didn't think lizards were affected by roundworm, and if they have tapeworm, what kind of food source are they eating to be this sick from this kind of parasite?

Im thinking Hookworm and Coccidia both making each other worse along with owner not feeding them or having really low temps

I didn't think lizards were affected by roundworm, and if they have tapeworm, what kind of food source are they eating to be this sick from this kind of parasite?

they can deffinitely be affected by round worm, usually have large infestations, tape worm is another one, though depending what type would depend where they got it from but most likely from a food source

You may be right there...
God, I'd hate to think how these poor buggers where kept before you got them. Makes me sick to the stomach thinking of how bad people can let their reptiles get to this stage. Either by laziness or ignorance, its not right.

they can deffinitely be affected by round worm, usually have large infestations, tape worm is another one, though depending what type would depend where they got it from but most likely from a food source

Tapeworm I can understand them getting from a food source. But I didn't know that roundworm could cause disease in lizards as an intermediate host?

though there is no use in guessing just wait untill the sample is examined. id be rehydrating via soaking, getting them warm, and tube feeding them small amounts twice a day. a/d is an alright choice as sick animals utilise fats and proteins over glucose. but the boy looks bad, probably need to see whats happening internally

Yeah the boy did eat today voluntarily and has been alert
The girl on the other hand has been the exact opposite
Il be surprised if she makes it through the night

Tapeworm I can understand them getting from a food source. But I didn't know that roundworm could cause disease in lizards as an intermediate host?

yes it is an indirect lifecycle, meaning that the lizard has to consume an intemediate hostwhihc can basically be anything. these can absorbe up to and over 40% of the lizards nutrition. also can cause impaction

yes it is an indirect lifecycle, meaning that the lizard has to consume an intemediate hostwhihc can basically be anything. these can absorbe up to and over 40% of the lizards nutrition. also can cause impaction
Tapeworm has an indirect lifecycle, with for example, an insect being the intermediate host, which the lizard consumes. Is this right?
Roundworm, is what I don't understand. Roundworm causes disease mostly in snakes and turtles, but as a lizard can be the intermediate host, I didn't know that it could cause disease in this intermediate host, thereby defeating the parasite's purpose. Or is it only if the roundworm are in such high numbers within the IH does it cause disease in the IH. I don't know if I am making sense or not, but am just trying to learn something.
(Sorry for interrupting your thread Geckoman)

Thats ok Jasspa
AS i understand it just about all parasites dont badly affect their host unless in great numbers
With the exception of a few off course
They usually dont get to plague proportions unless their are other issues
sorry if im stating the obvious to you guys

Tapeworm has an indirect lifecycle, with for example, an insect being the intermediate host, which the lizard consumes. Is this right?
Roundworm, is what I don't understand. Roundworm causes disease mostly in snakes and turtles, but as a lizard can be the intermediate host, I didn't know that it could cause disease in this intermediate host, thereby defeating the parasite's purpose. Or is it only if the roundworm are in such high numbers within the IH does it cause disease in the IH. I don't know if I am making sense or not, but am just trying to learn something.
(Sorry for interrupting your thread Geckoman)

you are over complicating it, tape worm and roundworm have the same lifecycle within lizards, where the lizard consumes a intermediate host, so insect or small mammal, or amphibian or even another reptile. in both these cases the worms can reproduce. and in both cases the affect of both tape worm and round worm is minimal (in most healthy reptiles) as their main affect is taking nutrition from the host. the round worm can cause disease in a few ways, cutaneous migrations, impaction of digestive system, bile ducts or pancreatic ducts and malnutrition. tape worm is similar except for it is not passive like the roundworm so therefore can cause enteritis and they can also migrate and form cysts, like seen in skin worm. i hope that cleared it up for you

So with Roundworm, is the lizard (in this case) the intermediate or definitive host, or either? Will it cause these diseases regardless of whether it is IH or DH?

Geckoman123: Sorry about the dragon but don't think there's any point speculating.

Just wait for the vets analysis of its poo and I'd prefer if you could take him to the vet in any event.

The dragon does not look well at all but I so sincerely hope he makes it with you sticking by him as you are.

Good luck and hopefully this will have a good outcome.

oh thats what your getting at, yes it can be both. as it could easily be the intermediate host to a snake, but a definative host to an itermediant host like crickets. and yes it will cause these problems no matter what. but for any of these problems to arise there has to be bad husbandry as the rounworm produces eggs and therefore the lizard has to continiously be reinfected for the lifecycle to work within the lizard as a singular.

woops sorry thats unless it consumed a poop load of intermediate hosts that were infected.

Thanks jewfish
These lizards are going to need all the luck they can get and then some
Geckoman123: Sorry about the dragon but don't think there's any point speculating.

Just wait for the vets analysis of its poo and I'd prefer if you could take him to the vet in any event.

The dragon does not look well at all but I so sincerely hope he makes it with you sticking by him as you are.

Good luck and hopefully this will have a good outcome.

thats bloody shocking who ever let them get into that state needs reporting ,,,,,

oh thats what your getting at, yes it can be both. as it could easily be the intermediate host to a snake, but a definative host to an itermediant host like crickets. and yes it will cause these problems no matter what. but for any of these problems to arise there has to be bad husbandry as the rounworm produces eggs and therefore the lizard has to continiously be reinfected for the lifecycle to work within the lizard as a singular.

woops sorry thats unless it consumed a poop load of intermediate hosts that were infected.

Ok, I am understanding better now.
I've read a heck of a lot about parasites in reptiles, but most books I read do not mention disease from roundworms in lizards. Am I right to assume that this would be because in a captive environment with clean hygiene and good quality food, if roundworm was present in a captive lizard, it should not be present in high numbers, and would not be causing issues worth noting in literature. Because, being a parasite with an indirect lifestyle, in a clean environment should be easy to get rid of.
Basically, captive lizards should not have roundworm problems unless they are living in reeeeeally bad conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back