Enclosure for my spotted python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFryMan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just about finished building an enclosure to put my spotted python in when he is bigger. Just need to stain/varnish/protect the timber. Any ideas on the safest thing to put on the timber or is it not a big deal?
Pretty happy with how it came up.

Snake Enclosure.jpg

Thanks man, appreciate it :)

Yea I'd much rather have a nice piece of furniture for the house than a cheap cage.

Planning to put some decorative trim around the bottom edge of the enclosure as well, maybe small architrave looking stuff.

Do people usually put heatmats underneath the enclosure or directly underneath the substrate? I'm thinking underneath the enclosure would mean less risk of burning the snake.

Looking good mate! Love proper timber enclosures so much more than melamine

Thats going to come up a treat once stained etc :D

Under the enclosure won't work with a timber base. If you haven't bought one yet have a look in my build at how to make a heat tile using heat chord.

Ahh I love this! As tree said, proper timber enclosures are great, I definitely prefer them over melamine. Love seeing people put these together from scratch. I've taken some shortcuts by getting my hands on some old tv cabinets haha.

Also, as far as your heat pad question, I agree with Gruni here. I'd go with a heat cord between tiles.

Keep us updated!

x

Here's one I use

yvyvanuz.jpg

is that stuff easy to apply? I've tried to stain some timber before (think it was pine) but it come up horrible. I applied the stain & varnish and then wiped it off a few minutes after, light sand and did it again.. just looked dull and boring.. more practice i think.

Never mind... thought this was where I posted about the Japanese black stain. Still half asleep and battling a headache.

? My picture is not a stain, it's just a clear varnish. Unless you get an all in one stain and varnish you will need to do a final coat of varnish if you want a shine (even a mat finish looks better than unvarnished)

Speaking of Cabot's stuff Jax, have you ever used their 'Gel Coat'? It's not water based so it is a bit of a pita to clean the brushes properly but I used it on some didjeridoo's I made and the finish is really nice and it's nice to work with as far as applying it.

No I haven't heard of that, but happy to look for it and give it a go :)

? My picture is not a stain, it's just a clear varnish. Unless you get an all in one stain and varnish you will need to do a final coat of varnish if you want a shine (even a mat finish looks better than unvarnished)

Wasnt really referring to just your post but other ones where they've suggested to stain it.. either way the enclosure will come up pretty good.. just as long as i dont do it ;)

Under the enclosure won't work with a timber base. If you haven't bought one yet have a look in my build at how to make a heat tile using heat chord.

Thanks for the tip Gruni! I took a look at your build, absolutely EPIC. Love it. You've now inspired my to build a fake rock wall for the back of my enclosure. I'm looking forward to getting into it now! The basking perch looks great too and is good incentive for my snake to chill out in the open instead of a hide ;)

My girl loves her new enclosure now that she has had a coulple of weeks to settle in. She climbs the rockwal all the time, spending a lot of time on the ledge which has a cooler end and a warmer one, she also loves the log and often basks on it. They really do like climbing more than a lot of people seem to think.

I'm glad you liked the build too. As yours grows you will need to think about an enclosure roughly 90x400x400 mine is a bit bigger than that.

Enclosure size

My girl loves her new enclosure now that she has had a coulple of weeks to settle in. She climbs the rockwal all the time, spending a lot of time on the ledge which has a cooler end and a warmer one, she also loves the log and often basks on it. They really do like climbing more than a lot of people seem to think.

I'm glad you liked the build too. As yours grows you will need to think about an enclosure roughly 90x400x400 mine is a bit bigger than that.

Great to hear that she's settling in well!

The enclosure that I've just built is around 940 x 450 x 450 so hopefully that'll keep him happy. Once he has settled in properly in his click-clack, I might put the click clack inside the big enclosure, get him used to it.

Sorry, I've been following so many DIY threads lately I thought yours was one of the 2ft builds...:facepalm:

If he is a hatchy that enclosure will be so big you'll lose him in there and he'll need heaps of stuff to hide in and around.

Sorry, I've been following so many DIY threads lately I thought yours was one of the 2ft builds...:facepalm:

If he is a hatchy that enclosure will be so big you'll lose him in there and he'll need heaps of stuff to hide in and around.

Yeah, he's only 7 weeks old, so he won't be in there for maybe a year. Gives me heaps of time to design interior ;)

Rock wall progress

photo (10).jpg
Getting the basic shape together for the rock wall. Just have to carve it up now.

Hoping to get some decent hollows and shelves for him to chill out on/crawl around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back