Enclosure Hints and Tips

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AntaresiaLady

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I thought I'd post this thread to help people looking to build their enclosures, or to get enclosures cheaply from conversions etc.

If you have a tip please feel free to post it, but please try and stay on topic so we can keep this thread concise, and turn it into a resource for people looking into getting enclosures.

Thanks,
Marie.

I found, from building my big new bredli enclosure, that instead of using plaster of paris for moulding the rock wall, use rapid set 45 (gyprock stuff) its alot cheaper and stickier too.

Background

I found in my small Bredli enclosure that Styrofoam and Grout did a great job for the back ground, easy to use - just cover in a few layers of Bondcrete when all grout is laid and it will be good to go.

Wish I could've done that one mine! The surface I had to cover was 1800x1400, with ledges as well.

Another tip, make sure your access doors are as big as they can go!!

The best and chaepest air vents you can get are the stainless steel sink strainers.. can get em at most cheapo stores for a buck or 2.. just cut out a hole with a hole saw and glue em in with silicone..

with anything to do with reptile enclosures KISS
K keep
I it
S simple
S stupid

mr-magic: who was that directed at? my hatchie lives in a glass tank with lots of greenery heh

LOL Mr.Magic!

There's some good tips here....I'm sure there are more people have to share....gee there's some clever people in here!

fozzard said:
Is there like a complete guide anywhere on the net like on how to build my enclosure from beginning and the stuff i would need

A complete guide would be a bit of a challenge. Most people can only talk with confidence about the materials and techniques they are familiar with.

I put this page together showing how I build an enclosure with built in heating etc.

http://www.herpshop.com.au/CareSheets/TiledEnclosure/

herptrader said:
fozzard said:
Is there like a complete guide anywhere on the net like on how to build my enclosure from beginning and the stuff i would need

A complete guide would be a bit of a challenge. Most people can only talk with confidence about the materials and techniques they are familiar with.

I put this page together showing how I build an enclosure with built in heating etc.

http://www.herpshop.com.au/CareSheets/TiledEnclosure/
Hey thanx man really helpfull i would like to use that design could you send me the cuts list at
[email protected]
thanx

I have done a "how to build and enclosure" sheet. It tells you how to build a 4x2x2 melamine enclosure step by step. If anyone wants a copy PM me with your email addy and I will send it to you.

Most of my enclosures are homemade or converted cabnets, fridges etc(exept my aviary and plasitc storage containers)
The most i have payed for an premade enclosure(exept avairy) is $20
light cages can be made for less than 50c from snake wire(1/4" galv mesh)
get elecrical work done at mates rates :wink:
'trash and treasure' things and other junk shops are great for getting stuff cheap.
cracked fishtanks are often suitable too unless they are to cracked, use good judgement and be careful.
use boxes, plastic containers and plant pots cut up for hides.
And the number 1 rule never take advice from a petshop seriously without considering their business interests first.
As mentioned sika flex is great for sticking stuff and snake proofing gaps.
thermostats arnt needed IMO
basically if u are prepared to put in a bit of your own work u can save many hundreds of dollars.

to build an enclosure-
screw and glue 5 pieces of sheet material(melamine, ply etc) to form a open box
attach glass sliding doors to front
cut out and install grill or drill ventilation holes
get electrical work done by qualified person.
install light cage if required
decorate and install snake :)
Unless u r a tradie only buy cheap chinese power tools, they are really good value.

cris said:
to build an enclosure-
screw and glue 5 pieces of sheet material(melamine, ply etc) to form a open box
attach glass sliding doors to front
cut out and install grill or drill ventilation holes
get electrical work done by qualified person.
install light cage if required
decorate and install snake :)
Unless u r a tradie only buy cheap chinese power tools, they are really good value.

Didn't realise it was that easy... :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back