Enclosure Hints and Tips

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cris said:
to build an enclosure-
screw and glue 5 pieces of sheet material(melamine, ply etc) to form a open box
attach glass sliding doors to front
cut out and install grill or drill ventilation holes
get electrical work done by qualified person.
install light cage if required
decorate and install snake :)
Unless u r a tradie only buy cheap chinese power tools, they are really good value.

buy gmc then u can take them back when u r finished 30 day garrentee

your original log did not mention free (Is there like a complete guide anywhere on the net like on how to build my enclosure from beginning and the stuff i would need)

Unfortunatly not much is free these days, but I wish you luck. & hope you get what you want

wombat100 said:
(Is there like a complete guide anywhere on the net like on how to build my enclosure from beginning and the stuff i would need

From me..... :lol:

A warning regarding sliding glass doors on the front of enclosures....snakes (even ones you might think are too big to fit through) can squeeze themselves through the tiniest gap! My adult Childreni python can get his whole head & about 2 inches of body through a 3mm gap between the sliding glass doors on his enclosure.

Solution is to either avoid sliding glass doors, only have really big snakes in those enclosures with sliding glass doors or buy some of that cheap stick-on foam door gap seal stuff & stick it on on one of the glass plates. :)

Kath

Or, keep your hatchies in a click clack till there big enough to go into an enclosure with glass sliding doors on the front.

Yep, they do better in them anyway I have found in my short experience..

here you go this might help a bit. its a cutting list for 16mm white board.. dont take much notice of the sizes because in owe industry 16+ 16 = 33
the Url is of the finished product
to make things cheaper drill several 3mm holes for air vents.
i use bathroom grade selicon for all the joints because it drys quicker and does not leave a smell in the enclosure for as long. smell is gone within 2 days
http://members.optusnet.com.au/sreid85/enclosure/4ft.htm

Some more warnings
dont use light cages with small snakes unless they cant get inside it.
dont cook your snake, be very careful checking temperatures with or without a thermostat.
as mentioned they can get thru very small gaps
dont use flyscreen(not from personal experience just read it somewhere)
there r lots of other things not to do probly, just cant think of them now.

Don't use flyscreen as what cris? Curious as to what not to use it for. Are you refering to nylon or metal flyscreen?

i use the nylon screens on top of my tubs and on top of my frog tank never had a problem. there only held there by glue. made a bit of a mess with the good old hot glue gun

Don't use flyscreen as what cris? Curious as to what not to use it for. Are you refering to nylon or metal flyscreen?
I would say aluminium screen, as i said i just read it somewhere could have been for lizards maybe something to do with rubbing on it and being abrasive.
nylon is probably good.
heavy stainless steel mesh(aka crim mesh) works great but is probably really expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back