Enclosure temp

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robpiersen

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an enclosure it's about 700 long 500 wide and 600 tall all wood with glass door front and I have a 100 watt ceramic heat bulb with the thermostat set to 31 but am having trouble reaching 31 degrees gets up too about 27.5-28 but wont go higher is it too large a space? Would getting a 150 watt bulb help with this issue? Thanks

You must be in a cold location, but of course we dont know where. 100watts will burn you on the surface of the ceramic. The temperature will reduce as you move away, so you must be meauring the temperature tooo far from the ceramic. With a cage of your shape it will be hard to get much temperature d ifference in you gradient particularly using a ceramic.

I'm about 2 hours south west from Sydney it's cool at the moment but not extreme cold or anything any suggestions on which bulb to use or distance from probe to heat source ?

I don't use ceramics but to me 100w should be heating a cage that size.
A lot of variables here such as type of thermostat, probe placement, ventilation. Perhaps put a picture of the cage so we can see how its set up or a more description of the set up. You`ll get it sorted, just need more info.

Just remembered the bulb I'm using was from the previous tank owner they had a central beardie in it for about 9 years I'm not sure how long the bulb was in, do ceramic bulbs put out less heat as they get older?

- - - Updated - - -

My thermostat is a micro climate there are three vent holes on each side near back but I have blocked four of them off because i though it was too much probe is in centre of tank little bit towards back wall and about 10cm off ground level I don't have photo at the moment but will look into getting one up

The thermo probe near ground level sounds like your problem.
You want a temperature gradiant so should choose a basking spot near the bulb,

And have that bottom end where the probe is now cooler for them to choose their location and temperature. You don't want the entire setup at 31 as the rep can't regulate its temperature as it chooses

But I could be interpretting this totally wrong,

A quick photo would still be the way to go :)

Where I have the probe in the centre of enclosure is about 28 by my thermometer and at same height level under heat lamp is 30.2, so if I move the thermostat probe closer it will still maintain a proper heat gradient whilst making it easier to reach 31 and then I just put some basking spots up closer to the lamp. It's properly caged so python won't be burnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back