Energy Efficient Python Enclosure Ideas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that heating your fish tank to 28-30 degrees would chew a lot more power than heating a hot spot for your python, I would think that you are running a water heater of at least 250watts for your discus tank. I would not worry about heating your entire enclosure in Brissy, I would just have 40-75 watt heat light run off a thermostat and let the rest of your enclosure stay at the ambient temperature. As long as you can maintain roughly 32 degree hotspot that should satisfy the most of the kept morelia spilota pythons. I know that Ben formerly from Stein enclosures is a firm believer that most morelia spilota pythons kept in south east Queensland only require a hot spot heat lamp on a timer and no heat through the night and that is how his enclosures were built without thermostats.

Yeah, we need to be thrifty atm being on a single income. I actually wondered whether there is some sort of solar device out there and then I thought, I should just put her outside, take advantage of our QLD sun as it has been nice for the past couple of weeks. btsmorphs do you allow your herps to hibernate through the winter months outside? Is there any winter regime you do?

Thank you Jungletrans I will def be purchasing an automatic timer. I think combining bits and pieces of everyone's advice will have my python happy and me too.

Thanks heaps :)

yes don't feed over winter full stop inside or out, breeding or not

yes I don't power feed my animals to breeding size so I don't feed any of my snakes of any age over winter. I only feed my 2yr+ males every 14days. I stop feeding all my snakes start of winter anything that isn't being bred is started back on food after winter, all breeders don't get feed until the females have laid, this includes males.

Last edited:
I was just checking because you didn't mention at what age you stopped feeding through winter.

3 enclosures, each a 25watt heat cord, and a low wattage uv energy saving globe in each. Less that 110watts total. If you think that sounds like a lot, look at the energy consumption of your tv.

this is how I feed, I have no fussy eats at all and even adult snakes that I buy, which are fussy soon become great eaters. the males are very keen to breed no problems ''keep them lean keep them keen''

this is how I feed, I have no fussy eats at all and even adult snakes that I buy, which are fussy soon become great eaters. the males are very keen to breed no problems ''keep them lean keep them keen''
Yeah I have no problem with brumation through winter but wanted to clear up for the OP benefit that you are only doing this for adult snakes and not hatchlings.

I don't feed hatchlings in winter.... most if not all my hatchlings hatch early January at the latest and don't get fed through winter they are kept inside tho

Do you feed them until they stop eating or at a set time of year? I have always heard of constant temp and feeding through out the first year at least.

I stop feeding end of may and start feeding September. all the hatchlings I still have in may are hold backs future breeders and it works for me... a lot of people want to breed their snakes as soon as possible so that is why they power feed for first 2 years. you can get a male at 18 months to mate if he is a good feeder and power feed.

Definitely not into power feeding or breeding early. At this stage I am not into breeding at all but when my newest hatchy BHP grows up I think I will look at breeding her. Hopefully I will have a hatchy male pinstripe BHP next year to pair with her in a few years time.

yes don't feed over winter full stop inside or out, breeding or not

I don't feed my girl over winter however I guess I have alway provided her with some heat. Is this not necessary? btsmorphs do not have any heat source at all during winter?

I don't feed my girl over winter however I guess I have alway provided her with some heat. Is this not necessary? btsmorphs do not have any heat source at all during winter?
I always give heat through winter. Just reduce the hours it is on to 8 hours. Even in Perth on a sunny 15 degree day I can find sand and rocks that are 32+ degrees once the sun breaks the clouds.
One of the authors in KABAP talks about one of his snakes getting a RI when he didnt heat through winter and that started him giving heat for at least 8 hours. My snakes still breed fine with this method too. The night time temps are cold and they know it is winter.

outside I provide no heat at all any time of the year. my snake room inside doesn't get below 20c but i turn the hot spot off. the only time you get RI in my experience is cool and damp conditions. cool and dry no problem

Okay no worries thanks very much :)

don't just follow what myself or other people do I suggest everyone does their own research and do what works for them there is more then one way to keep reptiles and different ways work best for different people.

One question that hasnt been addressed here is wasting heat

Think about the best possible viv
Now think about a coke fridge etc
Drop a small light bulb 50watt etc into a coke fridge and the temp will hit 40C pretty fast
Then turn it off and the temp will stay up for a long time

Drill a few small holes down low as the only ventilation in most vivs and your power costs will drop
Remove the gaps around glass doors and same thing applies
Heat rises so its a waste of time heating the top of an arboreal viv if your vents are high
Better to heat lower in that case

Sorry to keep the thread off topic but in the case of my two Womas, both 15 months old, male/female I have a heat mat set on 32 (individual enclosures).....reside in Melbourne. Thoughts/suggestions for winter fast approaching?

Given my lack of experience, compared to others on here I want to try and adopt the most ideal husbandry thoughts and ideas....I'm not into trial and error.

Many thanks.

Sorry to keep the thread off topic but in the case of my two Womas, both 15 months old, male/female I have a heat mat set on 32 (individual enclosures).....reside in Melbourne. Thoughts/suggestions for winter fast approaching?

Given my lack of experience, compared to others on here I want to try and adopt the most ideal husbandry thoughts and ideas....I'm not into trial and error.

Many thanks.

your snakes will tell you what to do...ie if they always stay at the hot spot, go off their food, take longer to digest their food (more then normal usual) your enclosure may be too cold and vica versa if they stay at the cool end, go off their food, seem overly active (trying to get out of the enclosure) it may be too hot. if they are ok at present I cant see you having a problem tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back