Epipremnum Aureum (Devil's Ivy)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amelia

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Devil's Ivy commonly kept with Green Tree Pythons is toxic to animals if ingested, does it have the potential to cause skin irritation without being ingested?

I currently have it with a couple of greens; it is not the only species of plant in the enclosure (there are between 5 - 7 others in each tank) so would not be able to isolate the cause if there were any issues, however I have not had any problems at all. I have housed animals between the ages of 7 months and 3 years with it and have not noticed any detrimental effects (the animals ate, defecated and shed well).
I will add that I also let my enclosures 'cycle' for well over 1 month (closer to 2) before any snakes were moved into it.

This is only my experience though.

Devil's Ivy commonly kept with Green Tree Pythons is toxic to animals if ingested, does it have the potential to cause skin irritation without being ingested?

I believe the sap from broken limbs can cause skin irritation, im sure i read it somewhere when choosing plants for frog tank.

Rick

I currently have it with a couple of greens; it is not the only species of plant in the enclosure (there are between 5 - 7 others in each tank) so would not be able to isolate the cause if there were any issues, however I have not had any problems at all. I have housed animals between the ages of 7 months and 3 years with it and have not noticed any detrimental effects (the animals ate, defecated and shed well).
I will add that I also let my enclosures 'cycle' for well over 1 month (closer to 2) before any snakes were moved into it.

This is only my experience though.

The green in my avatar has some in his enclosure, I see him slithering through it of an evening. Doesn't seem to have had any negative effects but it's only been in there a couple of weeks. I planned on making it a more permanent feature in some new Green enclosures so thought I'd post a thread & see how other people have found it.

I believe the sap from broken limbs can cause skin irritation, im sure i read it somewhere when choosing plants for frog tank.

Rick

Makes sense.

Last edited:
I've got it all through my frog tank, I cut leaves off all the time, never had a problem (6 years). Frogs would be way more sensitive to this than any snake. Why would they eat it?

I had it in frog tanks in WA at the Museum for years and never had a problem other than it being so vigorous I had to prune it back all the time (but that's not a big problem to have :)). I've kept it in GTP enclosures for years too without any negative consequences. It's one of the hardiest and best you can use for this purpose.

Jamie

A lot of conflicting information about it online, read that it's both harmless & toxic depending on the source. Most of the information reads highly toxic to dogs, cats & humans. Some sites warn the sap is a skin & eye irritant, a couple of websites list it as toxic to herps.

I've handled it without any skin irritation & it's routinely used in GTP enclosures, I'm surprised there isn't more information about it's involvement with Greens specifically.

I would counter that if you aren't finding much information regarding its use in GTP enclosures it could be a good thing; when people have problems they generally make noise about it. I know that if I had had a problem with it I would have made a post to make others aware of the potential for harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back