Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menagerie

Reaction score
My big male accie, Bruce, is missing from his enclosure! We searched everywhere, we left out food, all to no avail....

Any helpful hints???

leave a big container of used mice or rat substrate, depending on what he normally eats, in the room and keep cheaking above and aroud every half hour or so, if hes still around this normally works.

"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams :wink:

Stay cool-headed 8)

Think like a snake!.

Where would you go?

I've had 2 escapees in the past. Adult & juvenile Diamond Pythons.
Both found luckily!

The juvenile was in a Camelia Tree, a few metres from the snake house.
Juvenile Diamonds are highly arboreal. It was found the next day.

The adult Diamond that escaped was found about 40 meters away down the backyard next to the rat colony! Makes sense eh! This supports Trueblues advice!
She was found about 1 hour after escape. She was on the ground, as adults are more terrestrial.

Escaped adult Diamonds have always gone downhill.
Escapee Blue-tongues & Pink-tongues have always gone uphill.

Even though yours is a Spotted Python, these are examples of how they seem to follow patterns of escape behaviour.

:idea: Think about the nature of the species.

:idea: Think like what you're hunting.

Hope this helps & I hope you find it :)

Cheers zen

zen said:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams :wink:

Stay cool-headed 8)

Think like a snake!.

Where would you go?

I've had 2 escapees in the past. Adult & juvenile Diamond Pythons.
Both found luckily!

The juvenile was in a Camelia Tree, a few metres from the snake house.
Juvenile Diamonds are highly arboreal. It was found the next day.

The adult Diamond that escaped was found about 40 meters away down the backyard next to the rat colony! Makes sense eh! This supports Trueblues advice!
She was found about 1 hour after escape. She was on the ground, as adults are more terrestrial.

Escaped adult Diamonds have always gone downhill.
Escapee Blue-tongues & Pink-tongues have always gone uphill.

Even though yours is a Spotted Python, these are examples of how they seem to follow patterns of escape behaviour.

:idea: Think about the nature of the species.

:idea: Think like what you're hunting.

Hope this helps & I hope you find it :)

Cheers zen

I think they are referring to accie monitors??

Think like a snake!

Who wants to tell him? :lol: ;)

Good luck Menagerie! Check the dustbuster :shock:. I was talking to a chap who I recently bought some beardies off and he said he had a Storrs escape and she was gone for about 6 weeks before he finally decided to clean out her enclosure cos he figured she wasn't coming back. So he gets the dustbuster out and is vaccuuming up the sand when all of a sudden he notices a little monitor head poking out of it lol. She had been living in there on a bookshelf right next to the enclosure the whole time :lol:. Don't give up hope...people find escapees ages after they get out...your eyes can very easily skim over them though...they tend to blend in to surroundings lol.

Sorry thought it said maccie not accie.

I had a little baby dragon for a while and she used to climb UP my flyscreen door when she got out. Also, would jam herself between the wall and the back of my bookshelf and make her way UP that way.

Keep at it, let us know how you go. Goodluck, Lily

Hi, I had my first childreni escape 2.5 times, first 2 times I found him around my bed. The third time I caught it in the act of escaping, none of my other 9 herps have escaped cos I learned my lesson. But the point is look in warm hiding spots (hard this time of year cos everywhere is warm). Also (assuming it is indoors still) leave plastic bags laying around so you can hear it moving around. GOOD LUCK!!!

My gillens escaped and i found it no less than 2 MONTHS later..

So dont give up..

Good luck..

Wow, 2 months!

Thanks for all the reassurance everyone, we are looking very hard, and hoping desparately that he hasn't darted out the front door at some point, or worse, lying hurt somewhere :S

Andrew (hubby) is devestated, Bruce is a particular favourite of his. So it's accie patrol and stepping lightly in our house at the moment!

We pulled out the fridge, checked under coffee table, under enclosure, behind everything, behind stove.... and left out chopped up chicken necks too. No signs yet, but I haven't given up hoping or praying that I will see a cheeky little head pop out of some hiding spot!

well, after two weeks of feeling very sad, we have happy news!

I came charging in the door about 2.00pm on NYE - intending only to have a shower and then run straight back out the door, when I noticed a large sized lizard poo on my lounge - which, as any herper who has lost a pet in the house can attest, was a very exciting thing! So I rang hubby VERY excited (he was thrilled too lol) looked up and saw a very large male accie clinging to my loungeroom window flyscreen, right up against the roof!

I returned him to his enclosure, and he continues to entertain himself by removing himself from his enclosure and popping his head out of unexpected places. He is a Houdini - considering there is a lid on the enclosure which has been weighted down now, his expertise is remarkable. There are no larger predators in our house which are able to escape their enclosures, so he is entirely safe, and the resident cricket population must entertain him.

That being said, he never seems to go more than a metre from his enclosure.

He is now more firmly than ever established as hubby's favourite.

His reason is that 'I would do exactly the same thing if I were a reptile!'

of him hanging from the flyscreen? No I am ashamed to say that I didn't even think of taking pics!

dont give up, i had a mate who lost his diamond for 6 months and found in his back room, reptiles find there way into some wierd places

Lucky, its a bit of a worry that he can still get out though, hopefully he doesn't go for any more big adventures

I've lost heaps of lizards - cunningham, bluetongue, water dragon (found in neighbours shed!) and a striped skink, thick-tailed (sure I left the door open :oops: ) and tyrons geckos. But I've always found them again in a weird place somewhere, days or a month later!
:D
Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back