ever heard of a western water dragon?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pineapplekitten

Reaction score
hi, has anyone ever heard of a western water dragon? i cant find anything about them on the net but someone is selling them.

are they much different to eastern water dragons?

thanks

If you have seen the add you would have seen the pictures , no?

yes but im not asking about the picture. im asking if their much different? like in husbandry requirements ect.

and if anyone knows much of them?

I saw this ad as well, they definitely look quite spectacular.

Is anyone aware of where these animals are actually sourced from? Does he just mean the western side of the Eastern Water Dragons distribution? They look exactly like Eastern Water Dragons, except they obviously have a bright yellow beard. And as far as i am aware, the EWD distribution only stretches the East Coast and inland a bit.

Hopefully the seller sees this and can elaborate on the history of the animals.

I hate to say it, and of course we just have to wait until he tells us where they are from, but it smells a bit of EWD x Gippsland. Hopefully not though, and he has discovered and coined a new subspecies (or at least colour morph) of Physignathus lesueurii in the one hit!

Its on the HerpTrader - you cant link straight to HerpTrader classifieds (at least i couldn't get it to anyway). Just go to the Lizards section.

yeah i emailed him about where there from as well. it is nice looking.
i was wondering what is wrong with a ewd x gippsland?

i see people talking about how you shouldnt cross different snakes and lizards of the same species but i dont know why, some of the cross species look awsome.

i'd like to see a EWD x WWD if its possible and if its not already a GWD x EWD.. it'd be cool.

they cross differend dog breeds so why not reptile breeds of the same family?

just a question, as im a newby? :)

There's a difference between crossing locality animals and different species/sub-species. Different locality animals when bred together still give you the same species, like two dog breeds (you would just end up with a mut) just non-locale specific off spring, so imo is ok. Breeding different species gives you a hybrid... it's like breeding a horse and a zebra or a lion and a tiger... it's just not cricket.

ok, so as example, would it be ok or not ok to breed a western water dragon with an eastern water dragon?

or a EWD with a gippsland water dragon? as they are all water dragons.

thanks

yea i think so as i have seen them in the same geographical range.

yeah i emailed him about where there from as well. it is nice looking.
i was wondering what is wrong with a ewd x gippsland?

i see people talking about how you shouldnt cross different snakes and lizards of the same species but i dont know why, some of the cross species look awsome.

i'd like to see a EWD x WWD if its possible and if its not already a GWD x EWD.. it'd be cool.

they cross differend dog breeds so why not reptile breeds of the same family?

just a question, as im a newby? :)

Mate, have a look on the web. I am led to believe cross-breeding is illegal.

oh ok i didnt realise it was illegal. im not a breeder so im not asking so that i can do it, i was just interested in the reason. thanks

It's not illegal in all states and no one will ever be prosecuted for it. It is also illegal, in the state that it is illegal to cross breed in, to breed albino's and any other morph for that matter. No one screams and shouts about that.

re ever

Worrells 'Reptiles of australia' states,In suth east queensland forms the throat is plain in colouring,in Northern NSW to North Queensland yellow stripes are present,in Roma and adjacent districts of Queensland the throat and belly may be bright lemon yellow.That last one in the Roma district is the western form,still one of the reat books worrells .

Good one Col
if its a true locality form and not a hybrid ?? they look good .

Roger

Last edited:
Awesome - they look spectacular. Sorry about the allegations earlier one, my bad, should have actually checked the records first!

Would love to see one with the lemon belly as well....

Last edited:
im still dubious,plus if it is a roma form,its still an eastern watery,not a western,also even in the same range/locality,water dragons are highly variable,color wise,not just one color form,literally thousands of different color types,from dull greys,to very green,high red coloring to yellow striped in the red,if they were a certain form of eastern waterys,why wouldnt the seller put that in there add,i thought the seller was from sa,so assumed it was one from sa,they have a population of waterdragons to,gippys and easterns from escaped or purposely let go captives,even melbourne has to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back