EWD enclosure advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon_crazy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all i currently have my 1 1/2 year old ewd in a 4 foot fish tank, it is split into 1/3 water and 2/3 land for him but he spends alot off time in his water or on his large logs overhead.
So what im thinking is removing water divider and filling whole bottom off the tank in water and having fixed shelfs on either end off tank with logs joining them. Whats everyones opinions on this idea or is it too much water????

i can post a pic if its easier ha ha

i'd be making a bigger enclosure!!!! i had 2 gippys in a 6x4x4 inside until i moved them outside........

i will be making a bigger enclosure for her in the future but shes not that big atm thats why thinking changing this one around atm

Instead of removing the water divider why not alternate the sides for land and water so the larger 2/3 is now water. This will allow you to trial the setup with a larger water source without violating the structure of the tank so if necessary you can revert back to the current setup if there are any issues with the revised setup. If you do want to use the entire bottom as water then why not keep the divider to enable additional temperature variation and subsequently a greater number of thermoregulating microhabitats, such as a hot basking site, cool land area, warm water and an additional cooler water section.

If the bottom is all water, where will you feed it?
I'd try croc_dan's idea before making any major changes.

feed her on the ledge above the water as it will have same ground space as it has now just with more water

I had my EWD in a glass tank for a while, set up with 2/3 land. I think it provided more room to chase down insects.
Crickets will end up in the water, and if your "him/her" (which one is it?) is like mine it won't eat them once they've drowned.
How are you planning on keeping the water clean, if you have a full water base?
Since you offered, post some pics.

its a her as far as i know haha she jumps in the water atm if crickets are in there ha ha its spastic. iv got a canister filter for the water section. Ill get a few pics

I was going to do the same thing and make the shelves with sides so they held substrate and have one long shelf space over 2/3rds of the water sitting on a brace so it can be removed. My solution for cleaning would be a drainage plug. I wouldn't worry about crickets drowning, mine never lets them get to that stage before shes eaten them all.

yeh thats sorta what i was gonna do removable shelfs will be covered in fake grass and i have a pump and hose setup already for water changing so its no issue really.

heres couple pics as it is now

Attachments

• DSCF0136.jpg
    DSCF0136.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF0135.jpg
    DSCF0135.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 59
If you observe water dragons in nature, larger animals are never far from water. Hatchlings and developing youngsters can be often be found some small distance from water, occupying rocky areas with lots of cover and crevices in which to retreat. Larger specimens will usually access water when they feel threatened.

The idea of having all water at the bottom is great. It definitely caters for their natural habits of perching on a rock jutting out of the water, sitting on a branch overhanging the water, or sitting alongside a stream. A couple of shelves above the water and either side thereof, with artificial rocks for basking or hiding would be absolutely ideal.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back