Expanda Foam hide? rock backing noob

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noah2112

Reaction score
hey i wanna make a a hide in the enclosure or complete backing
i know i need styrofoam....
should i use expanda foam? and if i use expanda foam do i need to use anything else after applying it or just paint it?

or is there anything else you guys would recommend?

hope this makes some logical sense.

Noah cheers

You could use anything,but then cover it with a non toxic sealant...

Yeah but once I put the expanda foam can I seal it with non toxic sealant then paint will it work like that?

Yeah but once I put the expanda foam can I seal it with non toxic sealant then paint will it work like that?

I haven't even completed my first DIY yet but I have worked this much out... No matter what sealer paints grouts etc you use your final product is only going to be as solid as the base material. I used expandafoam and found it was very soft and spongy( it was good as a gap filler but. Block foams were hit and miss too). Some blocks of foam were not dense enough so some areas of my enclosure are only as strong as the grout that covers the foam. The foam i picked up for free that was used to pack white goods was easy to work with but again to flexible and not solid or dense enough to rely on for strength.

The foam I am have is from a company who delivers frozen food... It's pretty thick and seems durable... So if I use the expanda foam then a grout over the top it should turn out hard?

If you want strength then use cement or render, and 3 or 4 decent coats of it, grout is soft and won't cope with rough handling while cleaning or any rep with claws. If you're unsure how to proceed head to the DIY group there is a step by step foam rock making there ( I'm using my phone so I can't link to it but will try later)

yeah im using expanda foam now. Mine seems pretty sturdy. just wear gloves when you use it... lesson learnt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back