Expert Advice needed asap... Re: monitors and first time keeper.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that ackies and tristis are going to be too small for what you desire. SV length is what makes the 'bulk' of the size of the larger monitors and tristis, at 300mm for a large specimen, and ackies, at 250mm just ain't there.

Have a read of a good book, like "A Guide to... Australian Monitors in Captivity", written by one of our members (Dr Danny Brown).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I suppose it's really what I can get my hands on atm. I've been looking almost daily for around 2-3 months now and have only seen tristis and ackie a for sale... The larger monitors are much harder to come by out of breeding season Iv found.

I would go a spencers if ya wanted something bigger, from what i have read /seen they are alot less likely to bite.

Im about to purchase some ackies but as said they are a small monitor, my first big monitor will be a spencers.

Rick

I reckon if you want a lacie, get a lacie. Awsome creatures. But they need a lot of respect. They can, and will, interact eventually, on their own terms. Try to force 'em, you'll be sorry. Smaller monitors are great, but why setup one if you don't want it? Hatchie lacies are quite shy, but you can definately see the change when they get confident. They have awsome character and attitude, and can be extremely rewarding to the right keepers. In regards to the bite comparison between small dogs and lacies. We've got a malt/KC caval. He bit me once when I tried to take a lamb bone off him. Wipe on the jeans, all fixed. My little lacie kissed me once, for a split second, and I ended up with a finger full of stitches. No comparison. Good luck;D
P.S. This is not expert advice....... Just my opinion;)

Last edited:
So at 2 years of age from what I've seen a Lacie would only be roughly 2-2.5ft.... So hypothetically the bite before this stage wouldn't be quite as bad? I'm just curious as I don't want a 4ft lizard within 6 months of owning my first monitor.

So at 2 years of age from what I've seen a Lacie would only be roughly 2-2.5ft.... So hypothetically the bite before this stage wouldn't be quite as bad? I'm just curious as I don't want a 4ft lizard within 6 months of owning my first monitor.

Have you seen the "how not to feed a big monitor lizard" video on youtube?

Rick

It wont be 4ft in 6 months. But the bit from a 2 ft is still bad, especially if the thing is having a red hot go!!!! Not trying to scare you off, but you need to respect 'em, and know how dangerous they really can be. In saying that, I reckon they are the best thing I've ever owned!!!!!

^ as a Lacie owner, do you handle it much? Or more of just a caged pet you feed? I enjoy interacting with my animals and hence why I'd hope to be able to handle it one day. I have seen several that walk around the house on a leash just fine lol not sure if it's a common thing though...

Don't make the mistake that this is how all lace monitors are.. Monitors don't tame up the way pythons do with constant handling, as stated earlier in this thread, all interaction must be on the monitors terms, otherwise when the Lacie has a bit of size, it won't go near you without wanting to defend itself (my opinion and experience only). Those lacies have very experienced keepers who understand the risks involved and have amazing knowledge of the lace monitor as an individual... These "dog tame" lacies still have the ability to cause the damage as shown in the earlier pics... My lacies aren't dog tame, rather tolerant of myself but I prefer something that will keep me honest (stops me from becoming complacent)... I interact with mine but not to the same degree as my pythons which can be held comfortably by my 3 year old....

Mine is coming up on a year old and would be around the 2 foot mark (total length). As with snakes, growth rate is pretty dependent on feeding. I think I feed reasonably sensibly but if you smash food into them you could get them much larger much faster. The converse is also true but there's obviously a difference between low feeding rate and under feeding.
There seem to be two schools of thought with "taming". There's the ones who say you should let it grow accustomed to you and there's the ones who say you should force it with constant handling. I'm personally a fan of the former and so is Crocdoc (aka the Lacey master) so that's probably worth taking into account.
Another thing people haven't touched on so much are the claws. Obviously the bites have ridiculous potential to cause injury but unless you're wearing gloves and long sleeves, you may end up with puncture marks just from them trying to hang on. This is especially the case with smaller ones whose claws are like little needles. Having said that though, they are very rewarding and interesting animals to own and hopefully the (overly?) cautious nature of most people in relation to them isn't a deterrent if that's what you really want. I've had Ackies and tristis and they just didn't compare to the intelligence you can see when you look in the eyes of a Lacey. I've not had any experience with spenceri or gouldii though so can't comment on them.

You really need to decide what you ultimately want. If it is a Bell’s Lace Monitor and you have several years of successful lizard husbandry of a range of smaller species behind you, then you are likely capable of caring adequately for a Lace Monitor. You understand what is involved in husbandry and therefore what you need to research. There are some excellent books around these days and someone like Crocdoc could point you in the right direction.

Alternatively, if you feel the least bit in doubt of your capabilities at this point in time then take on a smaller species with similar things in common with lacies. Things like both terrestrial and arboreal for a significant amount of their time, quick moving in a cage etc. I reckon the choice gets down to two – Black-headed and Spencer’s Monitor. Either of these will help to develop your large monitor husbandry skills and allow a smaller step up to keeping a Lace Monitor. If it were me I would be choosing on the basis of which I liked most, as you will be along time looking at it.

Monitor teeth are recurved and knife-like, with serrated edges, and a mobile upper jaw that facilitates engagement of all the teeth into the prey item. They are designed for slicing so they can tear chunks off items that are too big to swallow whole e.g. a dead kangaroo. Even smaller monitors can do some real damage for their size.

Thanks for the gloves comment Saximus. The gloves that you me3ntoned in post 16 Ranga are primarily for protection fromclaws and while they might ameliorate the damage inflicted by a bite, a sizeable Lacie would would easily bite through them.

Blue

My first monitor was a Lacie if you are going to get one get onto crocdoc or tony harrison as they can give you very good advise on keeping them. If you are worried about getting bitten I would get a Spencer's they tend to tail whip over bite. The biggest problem with monitors is the feed response and the smallest thing can set that off so If you want a dog tame monitor, you will have to feed it a lot this reduces the risk of a feed response when handling. Also you have to look at your living situation, cats, small dogs or children can be a bad combo are large monitors. Just remember large monitors are more dangerous then a venomous snake... There's no antivenin for missing fingers.

^ as a Lacie owner, do you handle it much? Or more of just a caged pet you feed? I enjoy interacting with my animals and hence why I'd hope to be able to handle it one day. I have seen several that walk around the house on a leash just fine lol not sure if it's a common thing though...
I dont handle my lacies much at all. A pat here and there, or picking up with gloved hands to take inside. They do roam around the house and the shed, but only when it's just me home. Don't know why you would want to handle a grown lacey. you can interact without holding. Walking on the leash, dunno. If I tried to put my lacies on a leash, I'd need shares in Elastoplast bandaids!!!!!! If you dont think your going to be comfortable with a lacie, don't get one. But don't get another monitor because thats what " came up" . Do your research. Talk to, or email, or msg or whatever. Be prepared. If you are, you wont wanna keep anything else. Monitors are so interesting and so much fun!!!!!!

You wouldn't catch me handling a Lacie without gloves and those gauntlets you wear when handling glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back