Explaination Please-Hypo's, Hets, Normal's etc etc :D

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skelhorn

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Explaination Please-Hypo's, Hets, Classic's etc etc :D

Afternoon guys and girls.

I always hear and read different things about Hypo's, Hybrids (obviously a cross of species?) this and Classic's and het's 66/99/100% etc etc.

Just curious if someone can point me in the direction of information I can read or post some info on what defies what. What determines a hypo or classic or whatever else there is haha.

This is my Bredli His light from head and goes into a dark tail (most recent picture after his shed. Please explain :D

And don't be hating peeps, I'm new to this side of reptiles and everyone has to learn somewhere, suppose this is the best place :)

Attachments

• 524139_10150720395704523_510999522_9147552_1606764521_n.jpg
    524139_10150720395704523_510999522_9147552_1606764521_n.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Hypo/short for hypomelanistic is reduced black colouring, so say for example a nice hypo bredli will have no black- they're pretty much the nice brick red colour with white markings. Different people seem to have different 'standards' as to what they'd label as hypo.

Hyper/hypermelanistic is increased black pigment

Hets is short for heterozygote- I.e. for simple traits, they carry a normal allele and a recessessive allele. In comparison a homozygote has two alleles which are the same. so, say for example a classic, homozygote darwin carpet has two alleles- A and A (AA). And an albino darwin, also a homozygote, has two recessive alleles, aa. When a classic darwin is bred to an albino, ALL of the offspring get one allele from the mother, one from the father- so end up being Aa --> heterozygotes, as they have one of each.

the 50%, 66% or 100% hets vary depending on the parents.
- Albino x normal darwin = 100% hets
- Het x het = 25% "Classics" (i.e. do not carry the albino gene), 50% hets and 25% albinos --> because of these odds- the thing is, hets look the same as a classic, so you cannot tell until you breed them, what they actually are. So, breeders tend to lump all of the 'normal' looking animals together and label them as '66%' hets as there is a 66% chance that they are a heterozygote and carry the gene. However if you are unlucky, you may end up with a standard animal without the albino allele
- Het x Classic = 50% classic, 50% het- again, you dont know what is what, so they are "50%" hets

these percentages are determined based on a 'punnet' square- the alleles for one parent are on top, the other on the side, and you combine them inside the table. here's an example- The first square is classic x classic, second is classic x het, third classic x albino, fourth is het x het. Just ignore the writing atthe bottom, its from google ;)
sickle-cell-anemia-punnett-square.jpg

This is all based on a simple dominant/recessive combination- you can get other genes that can be co-dominant, for example

Hope this helped? I've only gone into a simple type explanation, it can get quite complex depending on the trait of interest.

Last edited:
Hypo/short for hypomelanistic is reduced black colouring, so say for example a nice hypo bredli will have no black- they're pretty much the nice brick red colour with white markings. Different people seem to have different 'standards' as to what they'd label as hypo.

Hyper/hypermelanistic is increased black pigment

Hets is short for heterozygote- I.e. for simple traits, they carry a normal allele and a recessessive allele. In comparison a homozygote has two alleles which are the same. so, say for example a classic, homozygote darwin carpet has two alleles- A and A (AA). And an albino darwin, also a homozygote, has two recessive alleles, aa. When a classic darwin is bred to an albino, ALL of the offspring get one allele from the mother, one from the father- so end up being Aa --> heterozygotes, as they have one of each.

the 66% or 100% hets vary depending on the parents.
- Albino x normal darwin = 100% hets
- Het x het = 25% "Classics" (i.e. do not carry the albino gene), 50% hets and 25% albinos --> because of these odds- the thing is, hets look the same as a classic, so you cannot tell until you breed them, what they actually are. So, breeders tend to lump all of the 'normal' looking animals together and label them as '66%' hets as there is a 66% chance that they are a heterozygote and carry the gene. However if you are unlucky, you may end up with a standard animal without the albino allele

This is all based on a simple dominant/recessive combination- you can get other genes that can be co-dominant, for example

Hope this helped?

Thats a fair amount to take in but I think you have nailed it on the head from what i presume...I never like the whole gene side of thing at school, I remember in class they used to make us work it out with red white and pink flowers etc so similar context I presume haha!
Thanks for the insight, so from the above information my Bredli is a Hyper? So in all this whats more rare?
Hets 66%
Hypo's
then Hyper?

Thanks again :)

You have a very very very nice ...umm... snake :D

Thanks Kimberlyann :D I presume you mean the awesome colouring of my Bredli yeah :p ?

these percentages are determined based on a 'punnet' square- the alleles for one parent are on top, the other on the side, and you combine them inside the table. here's an example- The first square is classic x classic, second is classic x het, third classic x albino, fourth is het x het. Just ignore the writing atthe bottom, its from google ;)
sickle-cell-anemia-punnett-square.jpg

Hope this helped? I've only gone into a simple type explanation, it can get quite complex depending on the trait of interest.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh The painful Memories from highschool are re-appearing :) Thanks Kitah :)
I remember this punnet set up!

I wouldn't say any are more rare, I mean there are more hypos out there than albinos but making a statement as to which is more common really ignores the genetics of individuals.

I think the one thing Kitah didn't touch on is hybrids.
Hybrids are cross breeding between any too organisms no matter how closely related unless they are genetic clones (obviously doesn't work in humans where sex is genetically determined).

So you have different levels of hybrids.
Intra-locale hybrid two animals from the same location which would naturally breed in the wild.
(Snake people start getting antsy at this point) Inter-locale hybrid breeding two animals of the same species and known "form" breeding together from different locations over there range. There is gene flow over entire range but they would not naturally be able to breed in the wild due to geographical difference.
(Gecko people start getting antsy here usually) Inter-isolated-locale and Inter-form hybridism, breeding between two animals of the same species and sub species which are from isolated locales or represent distinct non-significant-morpholigical forms.
(Generally frowned upn)Inter-subspecific hybrids breeding between two organisms of separate defined sub-species.
Inter-species hybrids, speaks for itself?
etc etc.

i like the "V" just above the snake! please post more shirtless pics any time you want Skelhorn... ;)

hahaha will keep that in mind, might do another update in a month or two, have more training to do, only just started working on the mid area a couple of weeks ago ;)

BUT as I am not a post hog what do you reckon of my Bredli, Nice :) His a beautiful boy (6 years old, Never felt the warmth of a women tho-Would love to breed him!), I love his tough boy attitude! He hisses and carries on and tries to act tough but is a softy...mind you I still don't let my hands linger in his tank...its his territory in there lol

I wouldn't say any are more rare, I mean there are more hypos out there than albinos but making a statement as to which is more common really ignores the genetics of individuals.

I think the one thing Kitah didn't touch on is hybrids.
Hybrids are cross breeding between any too organisms no matter how closely related unless they are genetic clones (obviously doesn't work in humans where sex is genetically determined).

So you have different levels of hybrids.
Intra-locale hybrid two animals from the same location which would naturally breed in the wild.
(Snake people start getting antsy at this point) Inter-locale hybrid breeding two animals of the same species and known "form" breeding together from different locations over there range. There is gene flow over entire range but they would not naturally be able to breed in the wild due to geographical difference.
(Gecko people start getting antsy here usually) Inter-isolated-locale and Inter-form hybridism, breeding between two animals of the same species and sub species which are from isolated locales or represent distinct non-significant-morpholigical forms.
(Generally frowned upn)Inter-subspecific hybrids breeding between two organisms of separate defined sub-species.
Inter-species hybrids, speaks for itself?
etc etc.

Wow thats a different level all together! Good insight tho!

That bredli looks like a standard classic to me, rather then a hyper. However what defines hypo or hyper is fairly subjective hence all the arguements.

Lol 'sif, kiddo ;) Thats easy highschool science stuff! The only thing I DID google was the squares image so I didnt have to draw it again!

As JP2 said, its all subjective, some people call 'hypo' as having no black at all for example..

I feel too old to learn Biology, are traites such as striping and spotting a genetic traite and how do you determine if they are a recessive or dominant traite.

The reason I ask is because I have a semi striped Bredli female that I would eventually like to breed from to try and produce a longer stripe, Today I saw an awesome Hypo male with as much if not more striping than my Fluffy and would really love to get him for a future breeding partner for Fluffy. Unfortunately though the minister for finance says we can't afford him at the moment.

And just to drag this out even more..... What are the odds of Hypo offspring from one Hypo and one Classic parent??

My eyes are still spinning like poker machine doovers after reading all that kitah.... thanks for that :shock:

Hopefully they will slow down and point frontwards again soon :lol: (my eyes that is) hehehe

I am sure newtolovingsnake & Kimberlyann's eyes will stop spinning too soon (once they get them bak in thier heads) hehehehehahahahaha

Good onya skelhorn.... damn fine specimine you got there (the snake I mean) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back