Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a nice idea jeffa, athough I'm sure something is still classed as extinct when they don't live in the natural habitat. Also in the wrong hands cross breeding from say a sw woma and a pilbara woma would be sad but more than likely reality. Steve1 I hope your right, I must just be very untrustworth, I wouldn't put it past anyone that collects reptiles unlawfully that they aren't going to look and cause a path of devistation. Kt.

No doubt some of these will be collected. If they are gone in the wild they are called extinct in nature. In talking about this however they would only be locally extinct as they are only a isolated location of a species not a full species.

Steve1 I hope your right, I must just be very untrustworth, I wouldn't put it past anyone that collects reptiles unlawfully that they aren't going to look and cause a path of devistation. Kt.

That path of destruction has already been made through land clearing and much of the intact habitat has been raped for other species, yet it would seem Womas still rarely popped up even if only as a bi-product to other taking/poaching.
I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that the area they occupy is losing and has lost species at a higher rate than anywhere else in the world. the excisting threats are more or less irreversible and don't stem from illegal collectors. I don't think their situation can be accurately compared to that of M. oenpelliensis

Furthermore there is nothing stopping the legal collection of them as a massive percentage of the land is privately owned. I have heard of them in private collections.

Thats my personal take on the situation

Scott, what condition and approx age was this snake? Reptiles and Frogs of the Perth Region states that all but one of the specimens observed in recent years (taking into account the book was reprinted in2002) were all old adults.

Last edited:
Steve,

It was an adult in good condition.

Cheers,
scott

I would like to know where to find out more information about the aussie pygmy carpet python. I've only ever heard brief mention of it in a Reptiles Australia magazine. I am going to go dig out my magazines so I can quote the Issue and page. Why has nobody ever followed up research into these guys, or if they have, what's the secret?

I am not talking about pygmy pythons. RA mentioned a pygmy CARPET python. Anybody else know what I am talking about? I'll go check my books and come back later :D

I would like to know where to find out more information about the aussie pygmy carpet python. I've only ever heard brief mention of it in a Reptiles Australia magazine. I am going to go dig out my magazines so I can quote the Issue and page. Why has nobody ever followed up research into these guys, or if they have, what's the secret?

I am not talking about pygmy pythons. RA mentioned a pygmy CARPET python. Anybody else know what I am talking about? I'll go check my books and come back later :D

Try morelia macburniei on google called a pygmy carpet python found on st francis island. Also check out morelia mippughae it was mentioned as well, not to sure how outdated the info was but keep us posted on another possible sub species.
Hope this helps

As far as I am aware no actual work has been done to show that the M. spilota imbricata on St Francis island are different although this may be found in the future.
That stands based on the only work I have heard of describing new Morelia from the spilota clade are in relation to bredli and all imbricata.

To be honest I found what the ones on St Francis are through another Aussie Pythons thread, http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...ssion-42/smallest-breed-carpet-pythons-78865/

As far as I am aware no actual work has been done to show that the M. spilota imbricata on St Francis island are different although this may be found in the future.
That stands based on the only work I have heard of describing new Morelia from the spilota clade are in relation to bredli and all imbricata.

To be honest I found what the ones on St Francis are through another Aussie Pythons thread, http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...ssion-42/smallest-breed-carpet-pythons-78865/

good read, some food for thought.

Five new Australian Pythons.

Seems very outdated. but there is a mention about two thirds of the way down. Must have been reclassified as imbricata with slight differences.
Oh well

The section of this paper regarding M. macburniei, I think is an unaccepted attempt to seperate the St Francis Island population from M. imbricata.

All of the "species" and "subspecies" in that "paper" will never be accepted by anyone other than the author.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back