fake background

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MontyTheBredl

Reaction score
how do i make one? i am capable of glueing foam broken bits to a peice of fom but how do i seal it so it wont break easily? what are the steps? 5 pages of reading in DIY and cant find proper instructions??? Aparently you use terracotta stuff ? any help GREATLY appriciated. Going for a desert theme :)

if you can have a search on you tube, there's heaps of helpful tutorials on there,
cheers daniel

You could always head over to the DIY group.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/groups/diy-enclosures-backgrounds-furniture-225/

Check the DIY group, and if you've only read 5 pages on the DIY forum that's not all of them. Scroll to the bottom of the page and changed the drop down box to show "from beginning" there are some great step by step threads.
Check out the sticky "how to make a hide" it's the same theory just a smaller scale

Getting there. picking the tank up tonight instead on monday night woo. What should i coat it with after im done and how much will I need? Is it runny or thick? its 4ft by 50cm by the way

Attachments

• PICT0389.JPG
    PICT0389.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
What area do you live in monty? maybe someone local could offer some in person assistance

DIY nights/days on the odd occasion perhaps could be organised hehe

Woo! Another Geelong person with reptiles. Yay :D
Good on you for DIY-ing it up buddy.
I'm doing a 6ft by 4ft pit style thing for my Blue Tongues and Shingleback but I just bought the desert style paper background for the walls. Eventually I shall venture down the foam path for something else.
I have taken progress shots and will make a thread eventually.
Can't wait til it's done :)

Heya - this is the first place i found this fake rock stuff and i reckon its great. watched almost every vid haha lots of good ideas :-D

Lizard care, and fake rock wall landscapes

coat it in about 3 or four layers of grout. after a few goes you will get the consistancy right and in the first layer i found if you add some glue - pvc / modpodge stuff - it will really help it stuck to the base alot better :)

haha :D no worries at all - i do suggest you use something other than mod podge to seal it though - it isnt good with water... other ppl on here recomend pondtite :)

this is what i was inspired to create haha working on a little pond at the moment when i can get my hands on some clear pondtite haha

Hides re painted 1.jpgCave 6.jpg

Yep ill use grout then paint then pondtite :D cant wait to get my woma :D :D :D

is it okay to use foam stuff for water bowls? if sealed with a couple of layers of pondtite?

as far as i know... i mean the pondtite is a sealent so the water wouldnt get bits of paint or grout in it i would think... the guy on that site actually uses silicone for anything that is underwater ... but im not 100% sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back