Family cat found cut to pieces

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don`t know if the cat was cut, predeath or postdeath, the news report said that is so far unclear.
I don`t know if it was some "misguided" kid or an adult or several kids or adults.
The fact is someone cut a pet cat and left it in a school ground, psychologist would have a field day with that!

Seriously what is wrong with people? I'm no the biggest of cats fans but I hate when I see stuff like this happen.
I hope they get caught and punished is the hardest possible way.

hmm, maybe if it was an indoor cat it would still be alive?

seems fair game if its an outdoor feral,....

the person who did this, not just killed an animal, they went beyond killing

How did they go "beyond killing"? It's dead isn't it? Not like they killed it twice, or maybe they did.

I have no sympathy for the family, I'm totally against animal cruelty and hope the people who did it are found and prosecuted to the fullest extent.

But majority of the people are right. Keep the cat locked up and it wouldn't happen, I have a cat and it would NEVER go outside unsupervised. They're absoloute mongrels when it comes to being out on the loose, they'll tourture and kill any little animal they come across.

I dont understand how people can justify killing a snake with a shovel but anything else and they're on their way to being a serial killer.

If you see animals with empathetic eyes (as most of us do), torturing an animal is very much like being a step away from doing it to a person. Many people just don't see animals in the same way they see people. Just like none of us here would feel weird about cutting up a plant but would never want to cut up a live animal, some people think nothing of doing it to an animal but would never ever dream of doing it to a person. Fisherman torture fish to death (let them die slowly over several hours after being caught), but most people laugh at or are extremely offended by anyone who suggests this is cruel (for the record, I kill any fish I catch immediately and would feel distressed if I see one slowly dying).

Keep your cat inside (better yet, don't have one at all) and these people will amuse themselves by doing something other than killing them. Incidentally, cats routinely torture animals to death, and allowing a cat to be outside means you are causing many animals to be tortured to death each year, so really, the cat owners are far more guilty than the misguided kid who killed the unfortunate cat, and that kid actually reduced the amount of suffering animals will have to endure. Amazing that a cat owner who chooses to allow their cat to roam outside has the nerve to accuse anyone else of animal cruelty!

Yeah but its quite likely they are just psychos too. It would be pretty hard not to have at least some empathy for a cute furry pet, sure with fish, snakes and stuff liek that 'normal' ppl dont care, but fluffy pets are quite differant IMO, perhaps the level of empathy may well be low enough to a point where it isnt likely to lead to anything else. It is also possible it may have been a macho peer pressure type thing too.

You make a good point about it being extremely cruel to not kill cats that are roaming free, but if its a persons pet it is also a crime against the owners too, something i wouldnt do myself but i wouldnt have a go at others for doing it. For all we know this cat could have been constantly killing wildlife in someones yard and the owner may have been warned previously and someone just took it into their own hands, but anyway my bet would be on a psycho.

As you would know the most important thing is to spout random speculation about something we know very little about.

I dont understand how people can justify killing a snake with a shovel but anything else and they're on their way to being a serial killer.

Sdaji explained this pretty good with this paragraph.

If you see animals with empathetic eyes (as most of us do), torturing an animal is very much like being a step away from doing it to a person. Many people just don't see animals in the same way they see people. Just like none of us here would feel weird about cutting up a plant but would never want to cut up a live animal, some people think nothing of doing it to an animal but would never ever dream of doing it to a person. Fisherman torture fish to death (let them die slowly over several hours after being caught), but most people laugh at or are extremely offended by anyone who suggests this is cruel (for the record, I kill any fish I catch immediately and would feel distressed if I see one slowly dying).

Yeah but its quite likely they are just psychos too. It would be pretty hard not to have at least some empathy for a cute furry pet, sure with fish, snakes and stuff liek that 'normal' ppl dont care, but fluffy pets are quite differant IMO, perhaps the level of empathy may well be low enough to a point where it isnt likely to lead to anything else. It is also possible it may have been a macho peer pressure type thing too.

You make a good point about it being extremely cruel to not kill cats that are roaming free, but if its a persons pet it is also a crime against the owners too, something i wouldnt do myself but i wouldnt have a go at others for doing it. For all we know this cat could have been constantly killing wildlife in someones yard and the owner may have been warned previously and someone just took it into their own hands, but anyway my bet would be on a psycho.

As you would know the most important thing is to spout random speculation about something we know very little about.

"You make a good point about it being extremely cruel to not kill cats that are roaming free..."

No Cris, I dont think that was the message. I think he was referring to cat owners responsiblity, not suggesting we are all cruel bastards for not killing cats when we see them roaming...:rolleyes:

"As you would know the most important thing is to spout random speculation about something we know very little about."

I would suggest you re-read that! You might find something in it?

A story like that truly sickens me, there are some seriously demented people out there in this world. Animal cruelty like this is one of the lowest acts a human can do...Does an act like this make whoever did it feel like a real powerful person? How would they feel being tortured and cut into pieces by something 10 times bigger and stronger than themselves? I truly hope they find these mongrels and prosecute them to the full extent of the law!!:evil:

please tell me you're kidding. With all of the inventive and hideous mechanism's we've developed to kill each other and torture each other, what makes you think that the treatment of animals lower than us would be any different.

Any cat which is allowed to roam outside should be shot on sight. NO questions asked. Responsible keepers on the other hand are a different story. Cat keepers should be licensed far more strictly than reptile keepers, its simple matter of ecological damage.

Sdaji,

does you include bloodfish which you need to bleed while alive in your kill them ASAP comment? I'm not being a dick about it, Personally i just try to keep them alive as long as possible so they're fresh for the table if I'm going to have dinner..

I don`t know if the cat was cut, predeath or postdeath, the news report said that is so far unclear.
I don`t know if it was some "misguided" kid or an adult or several kids or adults.
The fact is someone cut a pet cat and left it in a school ground, psychologist would have a field day with that!

A psychologist, unless he was an idiot who looked much too far into things, would say that there could be any number of reasons that the person who did this did so. He'd probably realise that the most likely explanation is that a teenage boy did it in front of one or more friends in order to show off and prove how tough he was, or he was dared into it, quite probably with alcohol or perhaps another drug involved, and most likely when away from his peer group the kid felt terrible, but would never admit it to his friends. There are many other possible explanations, perhaps he was a serial rapist who decided to start torturing people and wanted to practise on a kitten, and of course, that sort of idea would get more attention than the most likely story.

I note that you're not big enough to apologise after being unfairly, nastily and wrongly accusatory. Oh well.

It's tragic that people do this sort of thing, whatever their reason, but the reality is that it happens quite often and is seldom reported. If everyone who did this went on to do it to people there would be no one left. I recently discussed this topic (animal cruelty leading to human cruelty) at some length with a friend who is a self-professed authority on psychology, she sent me quite a lot of data including studies published in science journals, which actually showed quite the opposite of what she was saying.

The world has some really serious problems in it, and I don't want to belittle or make light of them, but we don't need to depress ourselves and exaggerate the problems either. Have some faith in human beings and think about the possibility that maybe it isn't worst case scenario, it might actually be most likely scenario! Yes, that's still bad, I know, but we don't need to make it seem worse and stew and fear about some fictional demon wandering around.

Teenagers do things like this as an act of rebellion (yes, there are other reasons too, such as sadism, I realise that) and the more public fuss we put into this sort of thing the more teenagers who will be doing it as an act of social rebellion. The more we say "Oooh, I hope they get caught and dealt with severely", the more satisfaction they'll get out of doing it and getting away with it, which, let's face it, they're almost assured of, and they know it. If such a person actually was one of the few really scarey, really bad ones, gaining feelings of power etc from torturing animals, and was actually caught and dealt with severely, how do you think they would get their revenge and make themselves feel better? That's right, they'd take it out on the next kittens they found, or if they were dealt with severely enough, they may actually be pushed to have the need for more, and they might get that by moving on to abusing people. Such a person would probably need psychological help they're unlikely to ever get, but realistically, people like that are extremely rare and it's silly to assume without reason that this is such a person.

Would it not be great if the killing of all animals were treated in this manner?

Yes the general public needs to be educated on snakes, and many other animals that are killed for ignorant reasons, but we alredy knew that. The difference is most people think misguidedly, they are doing the right thing by killing snakes, i don't know anyone who thinks chopping up family pets is a good thing to do.

I don't see how it makes someone chopping up a cat with a chainsaw any less horrific?

Chopping up snakes or cats, or torturing any animal for that matter, its all wrong. :evil:

honestly, It'd be horrible if the deaths of animals were treated like this. How on earth would i ever get to eat a nice big fresh snapper, a nice juicy steak or an annoyingly fiddly and unsatisfying spatchcock if we couldn't kill them for fear of wrongful death prosecutions.

At the end of the day, the fact that the cuts were reported as clean tends to indicate that the animal was very dead before it was cut up.

That behaviour is not necessarily an indicator of sociopathy, it may merely indicate that we've got the next world leading surgeon in training.

there is seriously something wrong with some people
hope they find the people who did it

Sdaji,

does you include bloodfish which you need to bleed while alive in your kill them ASAP comment? I'm not being a dick about it, Personally i just try to keep them alive as long as possible so they're fresh for the table if I'm going to have dinner..

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're saying. If I'm fishing I kill the fish immediately. Sometimes I'll have an esky with ice, usually I just get back to wherever the fridge is or where I'm eating them pretty quickly (generally I'm either going to a house fairly quickly or I'm going to cook them on a fire immediately). I suppose if I was in a situation where I needed them to be fresh and I couldn't refrigerate them for a long period of time I might keep them alive in a bucket of water or something, or more likely I just wouldn't bother fishing, as much because of the hassle of keeping them alive as the animal welfare issue. It has never come up and I've never really thought about it.

I'm getting cravings for trout.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're saying. If I'm fishing I kill the fish immediately. Sometimes I'll have an esky with ice, usually I just get back to wherever the fridge is or where I'm eating them pretty quickly (generally I'm either going to a house fairly quickly or I'm going to cook them on a fire immediately). I suppose if I was in a situation where I needed them to be fresh and I couldn't refrigerate them for a long period of time I might keep them alive in a bucket of water or something, or more likely I just wouldn't bother fishing, as much because of the hassle of keeping them alive as the animal welfare issue. It has never come up and I've never really thought about it.

I'm getting cravings for trout.

Fish like tuna, salmon, trout, luderick especially, but any fish will have its table qualities significantly enhanced by bleeding when you kill it. You've got to do it while its alive to allow the fish to die by lack of blood pressure. Its less relevant for many types of fish if you're going to eat them immediately, but it'll significantly improve the table qualities of any fish you freeze or refrigerate for later.

If you brain the fish, you foul the flesh because the fish can't bleed out fully.

Ill be honest here, ive never put a chainsaw through flesh (its on my to do list), but im finding it
hard to imagine doing so would leave "clean" cuts! :|

Clean cut is defined as a severence made that is clean in appearance - so it was done it one fell swoop rather than a constant 'hacking' motion - gruesome to think about. :?

Most rapists probably start out trying to seduce women with charm. Most stalkers probably try to ask their victim out and then get rejected.

If you see a guy showing interest in a woman, make sure you report him because he is a future sex offender and must be dealt with by the law.

Kill a toad and you're a conservationist. Kill a snake and you're a hero. Kill a mosquito and you're normal. Kill a cat (worse vermin than the others put together) and you're 'known to be a step away from torturing humans to death'! :shock:

Keep your cat inside (better yet, don't have one at all) and these people will amuse themselves by doing something other than killing them. Incidentally, cats routinely torture animals to death, and allowing a cat to be outside means you are causing many animals to be tortured to death each year, so really, the cat owners are far more guilty than the misguided kid who killed the unfortunate cat, and that kid actually reduced the amount of suffering animals will have to endure. Amazing that a cat owner who chooses to allow their cat to roam outside has the nerve to accuse anyone else of animal cruelty!

There seems to be a constant echo on this site....... change the record Sdaji (and others), such rhetoric is becoming grossly inane and boring. We all know you don't like cats, the same as many ohters on here........................ so what.............. some do............... as I said before .....GET OVER IT

Did anybody see/hear about the woman who crushed a kitten's limbs and then its skull in a crush fetish video? I once stumbled upon some stills from it on a forum, It was so messed up I felt dizzy (I didn't even go past the first few pictures it was that disgusting).

Some people just don't deserve to be alive.

It's tragic that people do this sort of thing, whatever their reason, but the reality is that it happens quite often and is seldom reported. If everyone who did this went on to do it to people there would be no one left. I recently discussed this topic (animal cruelty leading to human cruelty) at some length with a friend who is a self-professed authority on psychology, she sent me quite a lot of data including studies published in science journals, which actually showed quite the opposite of what she was saying.

I think the problem with this oft-quoted statistic about animal torture leading to human torture is that it is usually approached from the wrong direction.

I doubt many studies would show that most people who torture animals grow up to be serial killers (just as most late bedwetters and pyromaniacs don't grow up to murder and mutilate women) However if you look at it from the other end, it turns out that most people (men) who end up as sadistic serial killers DO have a history of these behaviours. So unfortunately all we can do is look back and say, "Shoulda seen that coming!" instead of predicting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back