Fat Should Pay More for Airline Tickets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done Fuscus!

It takes some real effort to do that!

Perhaps if more people had positive things to say about larger people they wouldn't be so depressed about themselves and would be more likely to become healthier.

note to the MODS this thread offends me!! do somthing about it please!!!!!!!!

Meaybe if they walked a mile every now in their own shoes it would'nt be such an issue:lol::lol:

:lol:

If there was a Hell I'd probably have a one-way ticket there for laughing, but I couldn't help it! :lol:

I put on weight once. During my honours year I studied long hours every day, sometimes going for a month or so without a day off. I'd get up, go to uni, sit in the lab or in front of a computer all day, go home and go to sleep, then get up and go straight to uni... Almost every meal was take-away (mostly Chinese or pizza), and surprise surprise, by the end of the year, I had a weight problem. I could have said "Oh, poor me!" and made myself feel better by Skaarfing myself with pizza and hamburgers, but instead I excercised and ate well. Within a month I'd lost almost all of what I'd put on and within another month I was probably a lot healthier than I'd been before I started my honours year. If I ate chocolate or hamburgers every time I was upset or hungry, I would certainly be a chronically fat person. It's physically possible for almost everyone to be healthy and in a good weight range, but psychological issues prevent many people from eating properly and/or excercising. Psychological issues can also have a direct impact on your metabolism and biochemistry. Most of us have problems we can't deal with because our heads are making it difficult for us, unfortunately for fat people their problems are clearly visible to everyone who sees them, unlike those with gambling addictions, snake addictions, etc etc, which can easily be hidden. To many healthy people, it is very difficult to comprehend why someone who is fat doesn't just eat less and move more (I must admit, I can't comprehend it), but many fat people would look similarly at a smoker or gambler who can't quit, the depressed person who can't just cheer up, etc etc. The average person probably looks at obese people with more distain than smokers or gamblers, but they tend to keep it quiet, or mock and laugh quietly with those nearby who they know will feel the same way.

When it comes to airlines, if it costs more to fly a heavy person (whether they're body builders or obese individuals, healthy or sick, pregnant or not), it's perfectly fair to charge them more, or give lighter people a larger luggage allowance. Because it is politically incorrect to disadvantage a fat person, the airlines are unlikely to do it because of the inevitable criticism and false-but-damaging accusations of discrimination.

Why it is okay to yell at a smoker but not a person who is stuffing chocolate or soft drink into their face is a bit of a mystery to me. Eating a mars bar is going to do you more harm than smoking a cigarette. It's similarly strange that alcohol is so acceptable, stranger that it is socially acceptable, and legal, to have a couple of alcoholic drinks and then drive a car! :shock: I do find it disturbing that society sees it as acceptable to give chocolate, soft drink and lollies to children, I wouldn't be surprised if in the future confectionary carries the same type of warning labels that we currently see on cigarette packets, and it would only be fair if confectionary carried extremely high taxes, just like cigarettes do. I'd be surprised if alcohol doesn't.

taxing smokes is bull, its just the government making money and has no thing watsoever to do with making people quit, if they are so deadly the gov could easily get rid of them but they dont cuz they make heaps off them.

and before people say its not fair and we dont understand, those argueing for the airline thing, i grew up a fat kid, i was repeatedly bullied and beaten as i grew up in a rough town in a rough school, but i worked my ass off to lose the weight and show them all, i understand that this isnt always possible but i understand where people are coming from, i just dont think its right as a society to accept that being unhealthy is ok.

I do find it disturbing that society sees it as acceptable to give chocolate, soft drink and lollies to children, I wouldn't be surprised if in the future confectionary carries the same type of warning labels that we currently see on cigarette packets

Is sugar toxic now? how is it disturbing to give kids lollies etc.?

i was on a plane once and a larger women not fat but not slim moved seats to the side from the middle a air hostest went up to her and said she had to move back to her original seat as her wieght would out balance the plane

ya it does happen, even with skinny people, they get in trouble cuz it shifts all the weight around.

note to the MODS this thread offends me!! do somthing about it please!!!!!!!!

I remember you saying in another thread that you was skaarked for 20years but that thread never upset you...

Said buy hobbo in a skaarking thread this year..]

now i know why my mum has been saying SKAARF UP BUDDY :)ive been skaafed up for 20 years and im ok? (i think) :p:p

taxing smokes is bull, its just the government making money and has no thing watsoever to do with making people quit, if they are so deadly the gov could easily get rid of them but they dont cuz they make heaps off them.

I think they should tax legal recreational drugs higher than they currently do, the amount they cost society would probably outweigh the money made(i would imagine). I also think overweight ppl should pay higher taxes/medical insurance to cover their higher than average cost on society. Why should someone making the effort to be healthy have to pay for the treatment of those to lazy to look after their health?

and before people say its not fair and we dont understand, those argueing for the airline thing, i grew up a fat kid, i was repeatedly bullied and beaten as i grew up in a rough town in a rough school, but i worked my ass off to lose the weight and show them all, i understand that this isnt always possible but i understand where people are coming from, i just dont think its right as a society to accept that being unhealthy is ok.

Good on you, seems like what the other kids did to you helped you get on the right track

If you had to pay extra because of body weight, i dont see it as discrimination
againt people who are obese.

For example, a very tall person of normal build/weight might weigh more
than a very short person who is obese.

Sugar is a major cause of obesity and a huge range of health problems including type 2 diabetes. Sugar in the quantities that many people in the western world consume it is extremely detrimental to one's health. Giving it to children sets up a pattern which will continue as they grow, it's no surprise that we're seeing more and more obese people in the western world. Disturbingly, many people don't understand how bad sugar is, and this is why it is acceptable to stuff yourself full of it.

baggage

I think they go on the total weight of average passengers, then it doesn't matter if your fat or thin sort of thing and then the total of baggage has it's own weight too,

If it tells you your only allowed to have 20 kilos in baggage then use your common sense and just have that much.

I'm not skinny and find it offensive when people say you let yourself get that way then you should pay more, having dealt with it most of my life it's not a matter of letting yourself etc. There are medical reasons for many people too.

Overweight people already have a hard enough time with clothing being dearer etc and things like that, yeah why not slug them for all their weight is worth??

I find it sad people should think this way.
I'm with you Mertle, a lot of people can't help being overweight just like me but i my bum isn't huge and can fit easily into 1 seat!! Yeah. But people who are a lot over weight could be asked to pay a bit more as total weight counts on the planes but it's a good question how do they compensate for too much weight on any plane??

Sugar is a major cause of obesity and a huge range of health problems including type 2 diabetes. Sugar in the quantities that many people in the western world consume it is extremely detrimental to one's health. Giving it to children sets up a pattern which will continue as they grow, it's no surprise that we're seeing more and more obese people in the western world. Disturbingly, many people don't understand how bad sugar is, and this is why it is acceptable to stuff yourself full of it.
In terms of weight gain, sugars are just as bad as fats if you don't burn off the energy they give you. They are necessary, in moderation, but don't need to be consumed via lollies or other 'high concentration' packages - they occur naturally in fruits and veges.

I love when you see packets of lollies (gummy lollies and stuff) that say "99% Fat Free" in big writing plastered all over the packaging. They may be fat free, but they are full of sugar and what happens to sugar when you don't burn it off as energy? Straight to the thighs!

Couldn't agree more Sdaji,

A few years back i was putting a bit of weight on (i was about 22-23 at the time), and both a personal trainer and doctor blamed my weight gain on rum and coke (and no, my diet didn't consist of high sugar). Yes i was party boy at the time, but switched over to beer (i know it's not much better) but amazingly over a month or two my weight dropped about 5 kilo's. On top of that i used to get extremely sore shoulders after i had bundy or two, and even wound up in hospital with internal bleeding (very scary believe me), and again a mixture of booze loaded with sugar was to blame according to doctors. It doesn't take a genius to work out sugar based products almost became the death of me. I did get a second and third referal before i took a 6 month break from my much loved beverage.

Although i am not trying defend myself that i had been drinking too much at the time, i do blame sugar for all my health issues i had at the time, so yes IMO sugar is the devil!!!!

I agree with the basic idea of what you are saying, you just missed out the words "too much". Sugar is a perfectly healthy food for both kids and adults it all comes down to the quantity.

I personally think its absurd to suggest a particular food causes obesity, a bad diet AND lack of exercise causes obesity(and very rarely a genetic condition etc.). The Russian Spetznaz eat heaps of animal fat on crackers as a large part diet at times and i can guarantee they are not obese. Fat contains heaps more energy than sugar as you would know.

Last edited:
I agree with the basic idea of what you are saying, you just missed out the words "too much". Sugar is a perfectly healthy food for both kids and adults it all comes down to the quantity.

I personally think its absurd to suggest a particular food causes obesity, a bad diet AND lack of exercise causes obesity(and very rarely a genetic condition etc.). The Russian Spetznaz eat heaps of animal fat on crackers as a large part diet at times and i can guarantee they are not obese. Fat contains heaps more energy than sugar as you would know.

Well from a biological perspective - sugar is easier broken down into usable energy, fat must first be broken down into glucose before it is used for respiration.. So I'm not sure where you're getting the "heaps more energy than sugar".. explain ? Maybe something I don't know.. but I have my year 12 Biology exam tomorrow so I'd hope I know !! lol..

Yes, you're right, it's about quantity, but the fact is a single mars bar as someone pointed out earlier contains too much sugar already. There is sugar (and by this I mean sucrose, the added stuff, not natural forms such as fructose and lactose which are present everywhere) in far more things than you realise - they even add sugar to some breads to make them tastier and more addictive. Some chips contain sugar, yoghurts too..

My point is that you shouldn't be going out of your way to give sugar to kids, because guaranteed they're already getting more than they need. As I said earlier, all organic compounds in all the food we eat are eventually used to form glucose, proteins, fats (the body produces these naturally for the storage of energy) and salts (somebody correct me if I'm wrong about this list..). There is no danger of kids getting a lack of sugar by eating a healthy diet. And a lot of parents don't realise exactly how much of a difference diet makes to a child's behaviour. Healthy diet = well behaved kids, it's proven.

But in any case, this doesn't have very much to do with plane tickets... Just pushing the point further that everbody needs to get healthier, it's just that in overweight people it is more obvious than in those with a fast metabolism. Weight isn't the only indicator of health, but it's certainly one of the easiest to notice.

I can't believe that someone said that kids bullying Naxx set her/him on the right track... (sorry have no idea how to quote)... He/her set him/herself on the right track.

Kids bullying fat kids is NOT acceptable. I am covering bullying in my PDE classes and some of these kids... i can only pray the emotional scarring won't hold them back. As someone who has struggled with their weight (and a slow metabolism) for their whole life, i just have to say that it is so not cool to just blatantly say 'screw fat people' as is basically being said. Taking that first, second and even third step is hard, especially when so many things you try don't keep the weight off. What people need is SUPPORT not criticism. When my friend started taking me walking (i have never been obese but i still felt too self conscious to go walking alone because of people who critised me in life) i lost more weight then ever, and felt great. When the kids in the school yard called out rude words (it didn't happen often thank god) it did nothing for me but make me depressed. And for some people that's a little bit harder to overcome then someone saying 'oh get over it and you'll be fine'.

I'm much more comfortable about myself now i'm older (thank god!) and enjoy my walkies (but still need a friend to go with or i get bored) and love my vegies!!! but please... think about what you're saying and how many people you may be setting back when you go to make a fatty comment. It hurts. And it hurts to see the kids affected. Nearly didn't post this... ah who cares everyone else puts in their 10... or 20 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back