Feeding a ridge tailed monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzlizardking

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My son wants to know how often to feed his Accie (ridge tailed monitor) each week and the right heat setting?
It's about 2years old.
What's to much?

well just reading an article in a reptile magazine, feed em everyday in the warmer months Oct-Dec and then decrease gradually to feeding 2 or 3 times a week, until April-June when they go without food..

i dont own any of these animals btw

feed it every second day on woodies and crickets small pink mice have it a basking spot of around 50 degrees with cool end of about 27 probably shouldve got that info before getting it

l have got 6 adult Ridge-Tailed Monitor's, and l feed mine Crickets and Cockroaches every 2 or 3 days.
The temperature under the basking spot, it should be 38 to 55 decree's, l mean direckley in the basking spot, not the whole inclosure.

Last edited:
Reptiles Australia, vol 1 issue 3... has a big write-up on ridge-tailed-monitors if anyones interested. it may still be at newsagents, as the new issue comes out on monday !

Ridge-Tailed Monitor set - up

Here are some photo's showing my Ackie set-up.
So other's can learn how to set their ackie
inclosure up.

Last edited:
ive thought about making a tiered hide for my little netted dragons, nice setup, how old are your ackies in the pics?

My ackie's would be about 2 to 4 years old, and they come
from Alice Springs NT area.

How mach is to much in the way of food - he ate a whole tub of small Crickets is this to much in one hit? Can you over feed ackies?

Not really, not unless they get really obese, then it's time to cut back ;)

Speckled Feeder Roaches dusted with 60% calcium and 30% herp-t-vite every couple of days.

The previous episode of Reptiles Australia magazine had a good article on Ackie husbandry and for comparison another article on Gilleni husbandry.

Kev, those Ackies look great, Just looking at the tails they are in great condition, well done!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back