Feeding Bearded Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainLegless

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've read on a few posts that dragons should not be fed "Iceburg" lettuce as they cannot digest it. Is this correct?

I was feeding it to my juveniles before reading these posts, they seem to enjoy it and have shown no ill effects.

What's the general consensus of opinion?

from what I understand it contains no nutritional value as it's mainly made up of water

www.beardeddragon.org has some great info - a bit more detailed than here as it's dedicated to bearded dragons

cheers

I think melm has hit the nail on the head.
I use silverbeet, spinach, bok choy and choy sum for leafy greans.

Cheers,
Austy.

I've heard it can cause diarrhoea and thus dehydration which in a such a small animal can be dangerous. As Austherps said there are heaps of alternatives.

Thanks for the replys guys.
There's obviously conflicting views as 'melm' suggests it's made up mostly of water yet 'junglepython' suggests it can cause dehydration!

I'm currently wading my way through the "Bearded Dragon" site at http://www.beardeddragon.org/ which has a heaps of information on all aspects of keeping dragons. Thanks for the URL melm.

it is made up of mostly water, which from wat i know causes diarrhoea, the beardie duznt hav a chance to use the water as it passes straight through and causes dehydration in young beardies. it also means that they cant absorb any nutrients in their food as they pass it too quickly which also leads to problems such as malnutrition. better off switching to a more "hearty" green such as silverbeet, bok choy, parsley etc. jmo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back