feeding chicks/rodents?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sevrum

Reaction score
just want to know peopls thoughts on feeding chicks ,i have heard it can cause gut problems and bad poos is it ok to feed chicks every third or fourth feed to vary the all rodent diet or is it just best to stick an all rodent diet?

Yes its good to use chicks now and then, as i do, but not completely necessary. I've never had any problems with chickens, although the snakes faeces will come out a little differently than when fed rodents, but as long as the chicks are from a reliable source, i say go for it!

use rats they are easy to get ,plenty of meat. feeding chicks to snakes only makes it hard to get them back onto rats & they dont do as well on them.

I regularly feed all my snakes day old chicks, every 3rd or 4th feed. I have never had any problems with them going back onto rats. If your snakes feed well on rats then there is no reason why they shouldn't go back to it. If they did that in the wild they wouldn't be to succesful. I also sell day old chicks, $6 a bag for around 12.

I only feed rats and mice and my pythons seem to grow well and are happy so i don't see the need for feeding chicks.

Congo

Depending on where you live chicks may be available readily ,but not in all places i have had trouble getting chicks but never rats, as for eating both i have had some problems, so for me its easier feeding rats.Ihave had many snakes for many years and this is just my experiance.

I have been told on numerous occasions that they should be frozen for at least 6 weeks. This is to ensure that any antibiotics are neutralised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back