Feeding geckos to stimmies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleriant

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I've been thinking about catching a small gecko or two to feed to my stimmy (8 months old) so he's got something live to eat.

Just wondering if the gecko could do any damage to my little dude, or if he'll be poisonous to him or anything.

Cheers guys!

i wouldnt feed him reptiles of any kind, snakes do fine on thawed rodents, they dont really need live or variety

Is there a reason for you wanting to feed a gex? eg feeding problem
If not then DO NOT feed him a gecko just for fun. They dont need to eat live things.
They can give them worms and diseases aswell.

as they are both reptiles if the gecko is carrying any "bugs" they will survive in you snake aswell and can create big problems:/

Yeah, he has been refusing his regular meal of a frozen fuzzy every now and then over the last couple months, so I thought he might be more interested in something live. It's nothing too bad, I just need to feed him before I go away over xmas and he refused a feed a couple of days ago. Not the end of the world if he doesn't eat again tomorrow, I'm sure he'll survive another week on top of that.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

He is eating thawed so no need to feed live. Apart from the ethical issues with live feeding it risks giving your snake pests and/or diseases

have you tried scenting a pinkie with a skink tail, just catch a skink and remove its tail and release it again, i found this can trigger a feeding response. You could also try heat the fuzzy up like 40C and see if it works.
Just a thought but id prob leave feeding a gecko to very last resort and make sure its dead and at least been frozen first to kill parasites.

The last thing you want is the snake getting 'hooked' on geckos then might never want a rat or mouse again..

there are other native skinks on the feeder list aswell that are legal to use as feeders

Are you kidding there are laws against feeding vertebrites while they are live. The zoo isn't even exempt for their exotics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back