feeding my stimmie thawed food.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

craig.a.c

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
Hi everyone.

I am having alot of trouble getting my stimmie to eat thawed and freashly killed fuzzy rats. She is 10 months old and has never eaten anything that is dead. I've tried wriggleing it in front of her, braining etc. nothing works. As soon as i put i live fuzzy in with her, it is gone within 30mins. Any ideas would be good.

Thanks in advance. :)

I have also contacted NSW NPWS, there is no problem feeding her live food, it is the rspca that does not like it.

don't worry my spotted python is like that too she won't take dead either i let her go without for 3 weeks she still wouldn't take dead when you feed live just keep watch don't leave until the mouse or rat is dead

Are you from the same Junee as Mary from Junee?

feeding her live food at the moment does not worry me, i have seen people feed other pythons live food and the prey item has biten them very hard inflicting a nasty bite. I want to get her onto thawed or freashly killed rats before they can inflict nasty bites.

have you tryed stunded its quite possible your python likes the kill and the movement of the rat with stuned the rat will be still moving i've tryed stuned with my python she just sits there and waits for the mouse to hop up and run around before she attacks it

How long have you kept trying for?
Don't feed live unless she doesn't eat dead ones for at least 6 weeks.
Then if she does eat a livie, follow it immediately with a dead one.

Hey Magpie, she went 3 months without food at one point. She would not even look at a dead rat/mouse. In the end, i gave up and gave her a live fuzzy. When she does take a live one i try to give her a dead one, some result as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back