Feeding skins to burtons is illegal in NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i give up it was a simple question
a yes or no would have done
i didnt know Gilly had an add here about his burtons to after i post the simple but difficult Question to answer, rather you would attack then say hay mate yea it legal
and a common practice amongst reptile lovers to feed reptiles to reptiles in NSW
what do skink breed ers think hornet your supposed to be a skink fancier how does this practice stand ok with you i. dout it would be fine

I answered your post initially, you are allowed if there is no other alternative.

I prefer to feed mice, you know how hard it is to ship AHG's down from QLD, or find skinks in an inner city apartment block.

But burtons are solely reptile feeders, and is very difficult to get them feeding on anything else, so before you start accusing people you should check before you start flying accusations around.

I know alot of skink breeders, that feed common garden skinks to burtons. But feeding a common garden skink to a burtons is different to feeding an uncommon ergenia.

i give up it was a simple question
a yes or no would have done
i didnt know Gilly had an add here about his burtons to after i post the simple but difficult Question to answer, rather you would attack then say hay mate yea it legal
and a common practice amongst reptile lovers to feed reptiles to reptiles in NSW
what do skink breed ers think hornet your supposed to be a skink fancier how does this practice stand ok with you i. dout it would be fine

yes i love skinks, even garden skinks but i honestly have no issue with using them as feeders, i wouldnt feed them live just like i wouldnt feed mice live (unless its absolutely necessary). Even if its not legal in some states its essential to the survival of many reps and i highly doubt the departments would really care as long as its done sensibly.

And the fact you have the nerve to come along, after 2 weeks of being a member and accused people of stuff you know nothing about makes it worse.

Hiya,
I love skinks, I'e kept Lialis burtonis before and I'm a mate of Gillsy (Home run?). Burton's do only eat live lizards in the wild, with a lot of patience they can be weaned onto an unnatural diet of pinkies and mice tails, but it is a lot of finnicky work and not all will take to them. I doubt the varieties of Garden skink found about our suburbs are going to be listed as vulnerable or endangered anytime soon from feeding to captive reptiles. You've already sent a message to DECCW (who read this forum regularly anyway), what would you like them to do? Confiscate it and put it in a ballot and then be back to square one? Maybe freeze it because someone on here assumed it was wild caught and are not able to determine a locality release site? I'd rather it be in the hands of someone who knows the captive requirements of the species.

Yes. Or was that No? I'm confused - you've reworded your question a couple of times now that either answer is now correct.

I think the real question should be; Should a species with such a restrictive care regime be kept in captivity in the first place? Yes or No will suffice.

they may not be wild caught sorry i should not have said that .
but a reptile keeper feeding retiles other then Asian house geckos which i have since found out by a few burton keepers in QLD is allowed.it is illegal wether difficult feeders or not and doesnt matter if he is up front in the add my point for this post was i think its very wrong to condone any reptile being used for a food source if you cant feed them on some thing else then you should keep them .
i have emailed DECC with a copy of the add .

Have fun with that mate, what a *****

Tink90

All reptiles a protected under the National parks and wildlife Act in NSW it is against the law to catch or take anything from it natural habitat, so if you are going to feed the Burtons Skinks then it probably best to find somewhere you can buy them so you can breed them yourself. I do believe that feeding them to Burtons alive is illegal as well and come under animal cruelty it like a person being put in with a lion on purpose the animal would be scare that's why in NSW all rats and mice that are used for feeding have to be killed humanely before being fed. I'm sure it will eat it just because it looks like a Skinks and i read somewhere that Burtons are mostly sight eaters so i'm sure it would still eat it. It would just need to be taught to eat pre-killed skinks. But i'm not against them eating them just the alive bit and taking them out of the wild that bothers me it alright to me if they are both in the wild a most of the time the animals don't see it coming and its over quickly. But that's just my opinion, oh i'm not sure what the laws are in other states so it probably best to find out.

Sometimes. Although some might say rarely. The law takes common sense into its hands and when it puts an animal like this onto a first class license and allows people to keep them, even though there is no real viable alternative to feeding them. It turns into a grey area of the law in which the actions are illegal but unable to be prosecuted.

As for the sensible question. Should this species be on a license in the first place, I think at the least it should be on class two and probably not at all. I also question strongly how Vermicella can be kept on license.

4 pages of garbage ...... instead of spending time repeating your question about trivial issue you could have picked up the phone and asked those who know (your wildlife department).
Ah, it's Saturday. Lets hope that those Burtons won't die of hunger till Monday.

I'm sure it will eat it just because it looks like a Skinks and i read somewhere that Burtons are mostly sight eaters so i'm sure it would still eat it.
Sigh... I read your post a few times and can't figure which alternate food item your recommending that looks like a skink? Also just because they can see it, doesn't mean they will eat it automatically anyway. A lot of frogs similarly won't take quickly to non-moving prey.

4 pages of garbage ...... instead of spending time repeating your question about trivial issue you could have picked up the phone and asked those who know (your wildlife department)./QUOTE]
Haha, totally agree with this. Could be worse though, could be another thread on green pythons lol

I find it offensive that Troll Lad can't damn well spell skink.:rolleyes::lol:

I haven't read the 4 pages of posts on this thread. Basically my logic is this, if you have a reptile that eats nothing else but skinks, geckos or frogs and hates rodents, there is no physical barrier to stop you feeding the specimen what it wants. Force or assist feeding rodents isn't always a good option when the thing knows its food trigger. If its against the law keep quiet about it and feed your reptile. Talking about it on this forum is just trouble making. If you have the time and energy to argue, time well spent :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back