Female Thick-tailed Gecko Acting Weird...Help, please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bella_White

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my beautiful girl Bonnie for 2 years now. I live in Richmond NSW where we have lately been hitting temperatures of 30 to 43 degrees celcius.
In the last two weeks mainly when the heat started she has been behaving weird. She is now coming out during the day time, never use to before. She has been lying in the water dish at one stage, so i turned the heat mat off. She also appears to be very flat compared to her usual bright cheerful self. She is still eating ok from what i can tell.
Any suggestions as to why she might be acting like this? These guys are meant to love the heat.
Should i take her to a herp vet?

Please any advice, Thanks.

I have just referred to an article written by John McGrath and thick tails are intolerant to high temps. 26degC max.

Quoting from the mag "these gecko should not be subjected to temperatures in excess of 30degC for long periods".

Air Conditioner, i have taken all my thicktails out of their enclosures and put them in tubs on the dining room table.

Whether sucks down in Adelaide atm.

Crap Adelaide had its hottest day in 70yrs yesterday your guys must really be feeling it.
Yeah i was just asking mum if they could go home for a while. She has air con

Try freezing a water bottle and leaving that in the enclosure to cool it. You just have to remember to exchange it for a fresh frozen one when it's needed.

A thermostat on your heat mat would be a good start? heating for milii in Sydney is not usually needed during the summer months, unless your house has aircon on most days or you live in a cold house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back