Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muiks01

Reaction score
I am wanting to get a fierce snake in the year or so, I was just wondering if anyone knows of any reputable breeders for this snake.
I'm located in Victoria so getting a license to keep this snake isn't that hard, and we can keep them as pets down here, but finding people with them is extremely hard, so if there are any handlers on here with experience with this snake any advice on keeping them would also be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

...so if there are any handlers on here with experience with this snake any advice on keeping them would also be greatly appreciated.

A forum is not an appropriate place to 'learn' how to keep inland taipans. In terms of husbandry, they are kept the same way as any other warm climate elapid. If you need more advice than this, then perhaps reconsider.

If you haven't kept some aggressive examples of tigers and browns, ask yourself if you're ready to keep an animal that can have you in a coma within less than four minutes. If you have, then you don't need advice over the internet.

Aaron.

OK well I try to post a more acceptable post,

Inlands are a highly dangerous hot, some are dog tame and some just want to rip your arm off (so to speak) unfortunately you don’t know which personality your likely to get, and is your experience up to scratch with that? Austherp is correct with try working with other hots although "browns" I would throw in the same category as the inlands, RRB’s big angry tigers, spotted blacks, mulga’s are all good starter hots. The reason I asked why you want them is because I breed them and I just don’t sell them to anyone that would be very irresponsible of me to do so.

I cannot agree more, taipans are not a learner snake, this is one instance where I think SA licencing got it right, you have to of had at least 2 years keeping other elapids before youy can keep taipans.

Most reputable breeders of Inlands wont sell these critters to people unless they know the person has had plenty of experence with other hots.
These snakes will upset your day real quick, fast and in a hurry unless you show them the respect they deserve.
Get some practice playing with a medium to large Browns on a 30-35 deg C day and only once you've mastered that should you even contemplate looking at Inlands.
Just because anyone with an Advanced Licence can have them, it doesn't mean they should have them.
Personally, I've been handling hots for quite a few years, both captives and wild, but my Inlands on more than one occasion have left me breaking into a cold sweat.

Hi,
on the left uppon, there is my smaler female, down there is my bigger female and under there on the right side, there is my male. ;)

DSC02090.jpg

it took 10yrs for a reputable breeder to hand me my first elapid, and although I have about 5 years experience with them I haven't kept any for over 10 years. now that my kids are older I will be going back into elapids, I certainly wouldn't be starting with a Taipan though.
Take the advice of the more experienced elapid handlers who have already posted and start with something more suitable for a beginner. The fact that you refer to them as pets is a bit of a worry

lovely enclosures Benjamin (sorry for the off topic post)

Yes Benajmin, them enclosures are very, very nice. I'll be getting some like that myself later this week and can't wait.
Where does it say this is going to be his first elapid? I seem to have missed this part. I remember myself posting a similar question when I was new to APS just a few years ago and now I am shopping for some Taipans. However in the last few years I have had a lot of experience with both captive and wildcaught browns, blacks, tigers and copperheads including being the new owner of a very flighty bundaberg brown.
What sort of experience do you have with elapids?

taipans , hmmmmmm............good luck dude...........hope all goes well. they are a very awsome snake.

it took 10yrs for a reputable breeder to hand me my first elapid, and although I have about 5 years experience with them I haven't kept any for over 10 years. now that my kids are older I will be going back into elapids, I certainly wouldn't be starting with a Taipan though.
Take the advice of the more experienced elapid handlers who have already posted and start with something more suitable for a beginner. The fact that you refer to them as pets is a bit of a worry

Most of what you say is fair enough but why would what he calls them be a worry. I refer to all my animals as "pets" including the elapids.

it makes me laugh when I read this ...I presume that if he is asking about inlands ,he would have alot of understanding about elapids and especially the hot species...it also blows me away how people seem to down grade the eastern browns ,when we KNOW their temprement and their capability as well as the toxic level of their venom ....hopefully I am correct and he has had plenty of experience with other elapid keeping and hopefully does a bit more homework before getting some ...goodluck and when you have your set up put up some pics :).........but then again teenage rev heads own V8,s ....just because they have had a licence for a few years doesnt mean their capable of driving a performance car BUT THEY DO...:shock::shock::shock:

Where does it say this is going to be his first elapid? I seem to have missed this part. I remember myself posting a similar question when I was new to APS just a few years ago and now I am shopping for some Taipans.

This is the troubling line in his post..."I'm located in Victoria so getting a license to keep this snake isn't that hard." Seems to suggest a lack of respect for the snake due to the ease of obtaining a license for one. Though I could be wrong and he could be the world's greatest snake handler...

This is the troubling line in his post..."I'm located in Victoria so getting a license to keep this snake isn't that hard." Seems to suggest a lack of respect for the snake due to the ease of obtaining a license for one. Though I could be wrong and he could be the world's greatest snake handler...

may have had a license elsewhere and kept elapids for years, let his lic slip and now decided to get back into it :eek: who knows really, s/he hasn't responded, might be a ghost :shock: Or a phantom post:oops:

It just takes a few extra $$$s a year for an advanced licence in Vic.
Thats all you need to keep vens (Taipans, Browns, ect) and even Crocs.

I think its way to easy to become licenced to keep animals such as these in Vic.
I have over 20 years experiance keeping reptiles
and I handle wild vens quite often (Browns RBBS and Tigers).
Even I wouldnt keep a taipan in a cage at my place.

Each to their own Andy. I know people who have had a Taipan in their collection within six months of owning and handling their first ven and haven't had any problems at all. I think it isn't the ammount of years you've been dealing with them but more so the confidence and experience you have gained over that period of time. I'm not at all suggesting people to go out handle a ven and in six months time get a taipan, I completely aggree you should have a few years experience below you belt. It's easy to say Victoria's lic system is too easy to own dangerous reptiles but think of the people who already do own these reptiles, especially people interstate. They would be experienced keepers and know their reptiles and aren't just going to go handing them out to kids for halloween, they have a reputation to keep also so they will hopfully do their research before exporting to some newby surely. I've been keeping elapids for a few years now and there are still people interstate who wont deal with me because they don't know my abilities first hand and I don't know the people they want references from so such is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back