Fighing Fish breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Stripey

Reaction score
HI

Trying to breed Bettas for a while now and couldnt get it to work!!!!

The mating tank was an approx 60cm Radius shallow plastic round tub from binnings. Put cups in there first for them to hide in and had nothing on bottom so it was smooth. They mated successfully took her out left him to care then nothing!!! ohh well first go doesnt always work. Sad thing was he got sick and went leg up not long after his fling (he was pretty old fishy)

So found a source hat said you need Young males!!! While waiting to get a youngun sent up through a pet shop put another old favourite fighter in the tub for a holiday, added rocks and gravel on the bottom. He looked really happy here than in his usual small glass display and began MASSIVE bubble making. So put that same widowed female in a holding container in with him. They got along and let her out after 2 days. The tank seemed to be big enough for both and they got along better than the original pair. He made a Secret bubble nest under his big rock cave that was not discovered. never saw them mating he lived near the cave she lived on the other side.

2 Nights ago saw the magic nest it was so big bulged out of the cave!!! Next morning there were deffinate eggs in it so the female was removed. I popped down to the pet shop and decided to find out more as i didnt really think they would work until i got my young male. The lady told me i dont need a very young fish they could still work and set me up with a brine fish program so i could feed any future babies and if it didnt work this time dont worry sometimes they have to um Practice a few times before they actuly fertilise them properly. (is my story getting to long?? well we are getting to the good part)

Set up my brine tank and looked at the males happy nest he was caring for i was staring and ogling at it wishing this time it might be lucky :) :) :) then i saw them!!!!! FRY!!!!!!!!!! SWOOO HOOOO!!!!!!! got tortch and between the gravel (yah had gravel floor and thats not meant to be good for breeding) i spotted at least 10 fishies swimming. I though OMG they just hatched :) :) :). So jumped on net and investigated how to care for fry. Found a great site and even showed the actual size of fry growth!!!! And.........

Apparently my fry did not just hatch they are already free swimming really well and judging by the size (they easy to see with naked eye) thay already at least between 1 and 2 weeks old already. huh?????

So whats going on here male still has his eggy nest which i only noticed eggs in 2 days ago the female only got removed 24 hrs ago and i can see at least 10 fry swimming around happily. They deffinalty Betta fry according to pictures on the net and they must be older to be able to free swim quite well. Is this nest 2 for the Parents??? and how they been survivin??? Maybe theres some algae grown on the rocks for them and i dunno how they escaped the mother in there and could the boy have another spawn ready to go this soon??? or do they magicly hatch and start swimming and visible to naked eye in gravel in 24 hrs???

Im soo excited about the Fry appearing without me even paying close attention i actuly place their survival to the gravely floor (god knows how he found the eggs to put in nest) and they have been together in tub for approx 3 weeks now (male and Female) i assumed they hadnt nested yet and thats why they were still together. So now what do i do?????? My experiment has gotten out of control before i was ready :( :( :( (i really belived he was too old for it thats why)

I can only find american sites any Aussie ones out there and any breeder tips??? My Brine got set up late last night so they wont hatch yet :S. I really dont want to kill my 10 (maybe more) babies.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back