fighting fish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cool have fun creating your new tank but make sure you dont over stock and foods for fish need to be a variety so flakes,pellets,brine shrimp and blood worm is a good mix.

Don't feed your fighting fish crickets they are to big. Fighting fish only need little pellets they are tiny like a big grain of sand really... Fighting fish dont eat much at all if you were to feed them you would only need about 3 pellets a day. you could feed a couple at morning then maybe another one at night.

If the fighter doesnt take the food in like a couple of mintues he isnt hungry dont leave the food in there it can cause amonia and they can die from that.

In winter you will need a heater unless your house is warm all the time. You can also get away with adding warm water every now and then. But make sure you also put water ager into the water before you add it to the tank.

Hope this helps please let me know if it doesnt....

I work at a pet shop so i know a bit about fish

:)

:)

you dont have to worry about the ammonia if you do the nitrogen cycle and you must get a heater becuase bettas are tropical fish and need heat to be active the ones are pet shops all in the little vases are dying and not very active becuase they dont have heaters.

I found normal fish food was fine, mine ate with all the other fish in the tank and never had a problem.

Attachments

• fighter copy.jpg
    fighter copy.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 29
yeah so i got this new tank
its great and its 80L and has a filter and heater so im all good :)
the guy gave me some fish food with it so im set for food for about................its whole life.

can silver shark live with betta?
i just love silver shark haha

thanks heaps everyone for your help,
sam

silver sharks should be a good choice the thing with betta and other fish is that you cant get anything thats coulourful or has longs fins like guppies becuase then theyll will start attacking each other.

Heres some pics of my fish. I never knew fish were so hard to photograph.
:lol:

Last edited:
i have 2 Fighter fish Female and male in a Big tank with A heater and a Filter with 6 tetras and 3 yabbies and 5 guppies:)

you shouldnt keep two bettas in the same tank the male will probaly bully the female and the guppies will fin nip the bettas.

you shouldnt keep two bettas in the same tank the male will probaly bully the female

They are all individuals... males aren't always aggressive towards the females. And anyway it sounds like a big planted tank so the female would have plenty of places to hide. Nothing wrong there at all.

ok sorry ive just seen and read about people having them togethr and it turns out bad but i must be wrong

Males are well known for being very aggressive towards female fighters so it is usually not recommened to be done. However in a large enough tank it should be fine providing you provide adequent places to allow escape. In some instances two or more male fighters can be kept in the same tank. (I would not recommend this unless in a heavily planted 4ft tank and even then it should be avoided.)

I currently only have two male fighters in seperate tanks that sit on the hood of a 6ft tank with 5 light tubes under it. The small amounts of heat that they create combined with the warmth from the tank water provide enough heat to keep the fighter's tank at a stable temp range between 24C - 28C. They are fed tropical crisps as a staple diet which are made so the produce 30% less waste then regular foods. Brine shrimp are offered as a treat occassional.

I would not advocate feeding crickets unless they are either pinheads or very small. Even then keep it to a minimal to avoid an unbalance in nutrients.

ok sorry ive just seen and read about people having them togethr and it turns out bad but i must be wrong

No need to apologise to anyone. I've kept males and females together before. Sometimes they are fine. Sometimes however the male killed the female. So your not wrong, but your not intirely correct as it can be done. :p

Silver sharks are fine with bettas, however they are one of the very few fish that are. I've witnessed bettas being realised into community tanks at fishshops, only for the tetras to kill the fighter in less then 2mins. I would recommend keeping them with say some bristlenose (Any type), some neons and perhaps some glass catfish.

Male And male Kil each other:)

I assume this has been said due to my previous comment? I'll assume it is so i can comment. :p

Males and males do kill each other. They are called fighting fish because of this. The fancy strains that we see today however have not been breed for fighting abilities. They have been breed for colour, fin lenth, breeding capabilities etc. An overly aggressive male has no place in a breeding facility as breeders do not want to risk the females being killed. So the aggressive gene cannot be passed on. You do get exceptions to this very broad idea but you also get alot of male fighters that follow this idea and don't really know they are meant to kill each other. ;) Hence you can sometimes keep some males together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back