fighting fish

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told Barbs can be very aggressive & to only put them with other big aggressive fish but just recently a friend sold me all her fish [& 4 tanks ]. There were 3 Barbs whom she had kept with Angels, neon,black widow and guppies with no trouble at all. I have put them in our communal tank atm & so far so good.

i saw tiger barb today at the pet shop in with glass catfish, bristlenose and a fighter was in the tank next to it and they could see each other and didnt seem to try to attack each other so i think they should be ok...

anyone else tried barbs with fighters?

i think tiger barbs are fin biters
but if you really like them test it out and tell us how it goes.

where in Sydney are u located i can give u locations to buy nicer variants???:lol:

Simon

i have fighting fish i dont keep them in heated water nor a filter they are in 2 seperate bowls i change the water every few days i feed them normal fish food i have a big blue male and a violet female both do really well if the temp is quiet cold i will top up there bowl with warm water and they become very active have had them for a long time now and they seem happy i am still interested in anyone knowing how to breed them wouldnt mind giving that a go i have put her in with him while i clean out the bowls they dont fight or carry on he chases her a bit then settles down ...

try fightingfish.com.au and ausaqua.net
they both have lots of info on breeding them

I just got my Fighting fish a few hours ago :D!
Is there an ideal tempreture for them?
And should I feed him weekly/daily

Last edited:
The only one with a temp thingy is my communal tank. That is set at 25C & I feed once a day. My little tank has a heat pad in it & I've no idea what the temp is......probably should find out!
Cheers for that link Shonfield. I will check that out later. Maybe it will shed some light on why my male destroyed his nest after his girlie & him put eggs together. Anyone here have any ideas?

well i might be wrong no wait i think i remebered reading some where the male destroys the eggs becuas if it isnt a large enough tank so theres no other place to put eggs he then destroys the first batch so they can let out the second batch, it might be a different sort of fish i read that from thoughh.

i have fighting fish i dont keep them in heated water nor a filter they are in 2 seperate bowls i change the water every few days i feed them normal fish food i have a big blue male and a violet female both do really well if the temp is quiet cold i will top up there bowl with warm water and they become very active have had them for a long time now and they seem happy i am still interested in anyone knowing how to breed them wouldnt mind giving that a go i have put her in with him while i clean out the bowls they dont fight or carry on he chases her a bit then settles down ...

You should avoid sudden changes in temperature, not good.

Thats why its best just to have a heater.

i am only talking a few degrees diff not bath warm and they seem to love it ,,,the male has a big bowl the female has a smaller one ...what i would like to know is do you put him in with her to breed and then remove him after a while and she takes care of the eggs or vice versa?..not real sure on the mating habits of fish i had guppies but they were all in a tank and bred stupidly as long as you have plenty of weed those type are happy to breed.........i feed my fish daily too i find as soon as they see me come near their bowl they surface and wait for my hand to sprinkle feed in ......

i think you would need a bigger tank and a filter.
filters are really important its like not giving a reptile uv lights and basking lights

i think you would need a bigger tank and a filter.
filters are really important its like not giving a reptile uv lights and basking lights

Fighting fish don't really require a filter, most people don't really use a filter because they aren't really dirty animals, you can just clean their tank about every week. I used to have about 5 of them and cleaned there tank every week and a half because it wasn't even that dirty.

His tank is 1ft long x 6 in wide x 8 in deep. He doesn't have a filter, doesn't need it IMO. I change part of the water every week or so and it is kept at 24C. The communal has a filter, of course, but the fighter in there keeps well clear of it and stays out of the flow.
RBB, put her in with him. From what I've read, he looks after the eggs.

ALL fish need filters no matter what they are the toxins in the fishes waste will slowly kill it in a very painful death and you also need a heater these fish are tropicla and require right tempreatures if you not going to keep the fish right then you shouldnt have it at all!!

I did have a filter in with him but he wasn't happy. It was a corner style, you know, the one with the cotton wool in it. Any way, I took it out & replaced it with the usual kind that push the water out of a hole near the top. He hated that more but when I took it out all together he is happier. How do I know he is happier? He was sitting on the bottom in the corner, now he is following flies that walk on the outside of his tank and he is swimming around and feeding. Provided you replace the water regularly it is ok. Left unchanged it will be toxic.

yes but you wouldnt have to change it evre yweek if you provided a larger tank with filter and filters can be adjusted to a low flow rate that does not hurt your betta.

yes but you wouldnt have to change it evre yweek if you provided a larger tank with filter and filters can be adjusted to a low flow rate that does not hurt your betta.

It would still be creating a current that bettas dont like. They like still water.

Theres nothing hard about changing the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back